Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2017, 10:04   #8656
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

This is a fantastic thread with so much information for Civic owners and potential buyers. Yes, I recently bought a 2007 V-AT Civic in Carbon Bronze color with 72K on ODO, verified service history, checked one more time after buying the car for a Preventive Maintenance at Honda and it does not have any major issues. There was a Auto Gear shift oil seal leak and Honda ordered the oil seal and fixed. Another one I am looking at is the gap in the Driver side Engine mount is closing, but HASS said, unless i get the vibrations, it is OK to drive and when it happens, they can order the part and replace it. Else everything works as it should.

I do not want to spend too much money on beautifying it, but at the same time, i want to add a little sportiness to the car by adding a spoiler. I liked the Mugen R type (large one), but without changing to larger wheels and adding skirts, I am not sure how good it will look on a stock setup. Or, i should probably look for a OE type spoiler. Any pointers on where I could get these in Chennai ? OR any other ideas Welcome as well.

Thanks for your assistance.

Swami
Old 1st September 2017, 10:47   #8657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
This is a fantastic thread with so much information for Civic owners and potential buyers. Yes, I recently bought a 2007 V-AT Civic in Carbon Bronze color with 72K on ODO, verified service history, checked one more time after buying the car for a Preventive Maintenance at Honda and it does not have any major issues. There was a Auto Gear shift oil seal leak and Honda ordered the oil seal and fixed. Another one I am looking at is the gap in the Driver side Engine mount is closing, but HASS said, unless i get the vibrations, it is OK to drive and when it happens, they can order the part and replace it. Else everything works as it should.

I do not want to spend too much money on beautifying it, but at the same time, i want to add a little sportiness to the car by adding a spoiler. I liked the Mugen R type (large one), but without changing to larger wheels and adding skirts, I am not sure how good it will look on a stock setup. Or, i should probably look for a OE type spoiler. Any pointers on where I could get these in Chennai ? OR any other ideas Welcome as well.

Thanks for your assistance.

Swami
For your reference, have a look at the rear quarter of the car (that's FD2R - the last real Type R as they say). The spoiler looks good IMO even in the quarter portion.

Here is the product you are looking for. It's available at AliExpress and has received a lot of positive reviews.

It's made of ABS material and seems to be well priced. Only down side is the shipping cost which is equal to that of its actual cost.

I am also looking out to buy it.

For Honda FD2 Civic Spoiler ABS Material Car Rear Wing Primer Color Rear Spoiler For Honda FD1 Civic Spoiler FD2 2006-2011
http://s.aliexpress.com/6RBFZ7b6
(from AliExpress Android)
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1504242890534.jpg  

ashishrathi88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 12:15   #8658
BHPian

Hi everyone,

With heavy heart I am preparing my self to bid farewell to my beloved civic, actually the decision to part with it, was a long battle between brain and heart, and eventually the brain won over heart, as it wasn't being used much now (clocked 500 km in last 6 months), so I thought it is only justified, that it should be passed over to a person who would actually enjoy the sweet revving engine and this lovely ride passionately.

Ravi, the person who will be taking the possession on Monday is a civic lover by heart and has promised to take good care of it and I seriously pray and hope so, as this one is really close to my heart.

Regards
Kunal
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img20170830wa0029.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img20170830wa0035.jpg  

Last edited by kunal_kaushal : 1st September 2017 at 12:19.
kunal_kaushal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 12:24   #8659
BANNED

Many guru's say that a spoiler in a Civic only for show. Why it does not generate any downforce since it is in a turbulent area. In any three box design this is true.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 13:31   #8660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Many guru's say that a spoiler in a Civic only for show. Why it does not generate any downforce since it is in a turbulent area. In any three box design this is true.
Professor the truth is no one (other than the Honda R& D team and Mugen/Spoon Motorsports etc.) has actually calculated the actual downforce that is being generated by these spoilers.

When the Honda R& D designed the FD2R, they would have placed these large spoilers basis numerous calculations and wind tunnel tests.

Infact, Mugen went a step ahead and also placed a lip spoiler in addition to the full size spoiler in their Mugen RR to further aid the aero.

Even in the latest iteration of 2018 Type R (FK), in addition to the spoiler, Honda has placed multiple "shark fin" type shapes on the roof as they act as vortex generator.

Last edited by ashishrathi88 : 1st September 2017 at 13:40.
ashishrathi88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2017, 11:10   #8661
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishrathi88 View Post
Professor the truth is no one (other than the Honda R& D team and Mugen/Spoon Motorsports etc.) has actually calculated the actual downforce that is being generated by these spoilers.
You need not calculate, but can actually measure on the wind tunnel. This is much more precise than and CFD exercise.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2017, 22:02   #8662
Senior - BHPian

Guys ac has stopped working. The temp guage has been stuck at 26 ever since i had to drive the car in water logged areas it seems. I tried to reset it to 27 but still the ac is not functioning. Somehow the heater is working piping hot but the ac is not cooling. Will get it checked on Monday. Had waded through half wheels deep water on Aug 29. Was stuck in traffic for a mind numbing 10 hours on Tuesday. Any pointers on the ac? Temperature sensor maybe?

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 2nd September 2017 at 22:04.
Old 3rd September 2017, 08:07   #8663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Guys ac has stopped working. The temp guage has been stuck at 26 ever since i had to drive the car in water logged areas it seems. I tried to reset it to 27 but still the ac is not functioning. Somehow the heater is working piping hot but the ac is not cooling. Will get it checked on Monday. Had waded through half wheels deep water on Aug 29. Was stuck in traffic for a mind numbing 10 hours on Tuesday. Any pointers on the ac? Temperature sensor maybe?
Noticed the compressor was not starting after switching on the ac.
Old 3rd September 2017, 09:54   #8664
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The compressor has an electronic clutch. May have failed due to water ingress. Get that checked.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2017, 11:47   #8665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
The compressor has an electronic clutch. May have failed due to water ingress. Get that checked.
Most probably it will be clutch, something like 7 to8k including labour. Full compressor, you will be looking at 20 - 25K including labour, ofcourse not at HASS
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2017, 12:24   #8666
Senior - BHPian

The heater is still working fine and I used same yesterday to demist the glass. Does the heater also works on the compressor or how ?
Old 3rd September 2017, 13:30   #8667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Most probable cause. The water may have shorted the clutch and ideally blown a fuse. If that's the case, replacing the fuse should sort the issue. If the clutch somehow got fried though, then you'd have to replace that itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Most probably it will be clutch, something like 7 to8k including labour. Full compressor, you will be looking at 20 - 25K including labour, ofcourse not at HASS

Whole clutch-pulley assembly would be around 3k plus labour. Water alone wouldn't damage the comp. It's airtight. Leave alone water. On the other hand, some debris in the water could have done more serious damage.

Quote:
The heater is still working fine and I used same yesterday to demist the glass. Does the heater also works on the compressor or how ?
The heater, though part of the whole HVAC system, is an independent system within it with different components which have nothing to do with the cooling part/s of the AC system like compressor, refrigerant, condenser-fan, etc. The heater uses the hot coolant(from the cars engine cooling system) to provide heating. So if your cooling is bust, the heater is unaffected as it has a different source for its working.

The HVAC system uses and manipulates or mixes these two heating and cooling systems to provide you with your ideal preferred cabin temperature.

That said, I think the water may have either shorted some electronic component/s and caused malfunction or then some heavy debris in the water wedged itself somewhere and caused the issue.

Components at bumper level is the ambient air sensor just behind the bumper which can be affected by water ingress or damage by debris, apart from the other guy that is the clutch.

Last edited by pixantz : 3rd September 2017 at 13:36.
pixantz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2017, 15:20   #8668
Distinguished - BHPian

First things first: Check all fuses in the MICU which is below the dashboard on the driver's side (footwell area) and also inside the fuse box under the hood.

If all okay, try resetting all systems by disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery for at least three minutes. Go to HASS or any FNG only after going through these checks.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2017, 16:01   #8669
Senior - BHPian

As I had posted, my left side mirror had stopped opening /closing. I had to manually open or close it as required. I could hear the motor whining though. My FNG said he had no clue how to fix it and told me to take it to Ghai. Took it to Ghai Spares who said there's no need to change the entire assembly. There are many mechanics near his shop so he guided me to one he knew could fix it. So apparently the gears inside had broken, thereby it being non responsive. The guy fixed it in 30 mins. Total damage: Rs 700.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 17:01   #8670
Senior - BHPian

Idemitsu 5W30 SNA5/B5 Engine Oil (3.5 Ltr) is retailing for Rs 1634. Is this fine? Is 3.5 litres enough? Or do I need to put in more?

Most Viewed