Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2017, 18:20   #8671
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Idemitsu 5W30 SNA5/B5 Engine Oil (3.5 Ltr) is retailing for Rs 1634. Is this fine? Is 3.5 litres enough? Or do I need to put in more?
Since your car's sump capacity is 3.7-3.8 litres (please recheck the manual) 3.5L should do in a pinch.

But keep extra oil in the car and top it off to full if you plan to or regularly do high-speed highway runs.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 21:53   #8672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Noticed the compressor was not starting after switching on the ac.
It was just the cooling coil. Changed to non OE one for 4.1k and 2.6 for gas and labor. Second coil under my ownership. AC is back in action but the new coil is too noisy but living with it for now. A OE coil would have set me by 11k min just for the piece.
Old 4th September 2017, 22:13   #8673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
It was just the cooling coil. Changed to non OE one for 4.1k and 2.6 for gas and labor. Second coil under my ownership. AC is back in action but the new coil is too noisy but living with it for now. A OE coil would have set me by 11k min just for the piece.
That means this had nothing to do with the floods and was just a coincidence.

As for the coil, I personally would always strongly recommend the Denso one which is OE I guess. This is the coil which gives the optimum original performance in the way of airflow, rate of cooling and cooling intensity. It costs about 7k-8 plus taxes.
pixantz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 22:34   #8674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
That means this had nothing to do with the floods and was just a coincidence.
Yes the temp gauge was back to normal too in the morning and displayed at 28C when I drove to the garage. The compressor was not starting since there was no gas as it had leaked away. OE coil could have been had but with no warranty so avoided and as mentioned before was priced at 11k.
Old 8th September 2017, 09:51   #8675
Senior - BHPian

Yest my car refused to start. First suspect: the battery. It was less than 2 years old..Called Amaron Roadside assistance. Got a jump start and drove home. Called Amaron again. It turns out the battery was fine. The issue was with the connectors. After 10.5 years, they'd become rusted and breaking off. Got those changed and the problem was fixed.

Thankfully things didn't take a turn for the worse, as I'd even thought it's the alternator going kaput. The maintenance cost of the Civic has gone up a bit, sometimes bringing me to think if it's still rational to continue keeping it. However, after every drive, it manages to pull the strings to my heart.
Old 8th September 2017, 10:48   #8676
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The issue was with the connectors. After 10.5 years, they'd become rusted and breaking off. Got those changed and the problem was fixed.
I bought a set of +ve and -ve battery clamps plus the -ve battery terminal earthing cable to prevent just this kind of situation.

Though my car's battery clamps are in good shape I positively hate being stranded because of such minor issues. Have kept these spares for emergencies.

Since you have experienced corrosion you may want to coat the clamps and battery posts with Vaseline or Liqui Moly's battery terminal grease. 3M makes a terminal coating spray which is available on Amazon.

Also, take a look at your alternator's B+ (output) terminal. It is the one under the grey or black plastic cap on the alternator. Make sure it is clean and tight without any corrosion.
Old 8th September 2017, 14:39   #8677
Distinguished - BHPian

Few days ago, I bought a 6mm electric wire and two clamps. Hooked up the clamps on the wire and attached one side to the negative terminal of the battery and the other to a bolt leading to the chassis, effectively upgrading the grounding of the car.

I have observed that the headlamps have become brighter after this upgrade. Certainly not 'mental lumens' (in lines of 'mental bhp' or so!)

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2017, 17:34   #8678
Distinguished - BHPian

@Saket77, you just reminded me of a car earthing kit (a Chinese rip off of a Jap brand) I had picked up on eBay a few years ago. Just forgot all about it. Now I can plan a nice DIY!

And yes, when done properly, an earthing kit does make a difference to the performance of your car electrical system. It is a part of the big 3 upgrade or as I like to call it 'capacity augmentation' since the original cables/wires will remain in place.

a) Alternator B+ terminal to the battery, always via a properly sized fuse. It should be equal to the main fuse in your car. Generally labelled 'alt' or similar.

b) Earthing/-ve battery cable from battery to chassis.

c) Grounding cable from the engine block to the frame

That kit I purchased can do b) and c). Don't want to mess with the B+ to battery circuit that is routed via a 120A main fuse.

Last edited by R2D2 : 8th September 2017 at 17:36.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 10:56   #8679
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone successfully ordered from industrybuying? I had placed an order for IDEMITSU 5W30 SNA5/B5 Engine Oil (3.5 Ltr) on the 4th. It was supposed to be dispatched on the 10th but it wasn't. I called up the customer care and they're clueless. I'm thinking of cancelling my order. Any other place I can source this oil?
Old 13th September 2017, 12:54   #8680
BHPian

Quote:
I had placed an order for IDEMITSU 5W30 SNA5/B5 Engine Oil (3.5 Ltr) on the 4th.
Idemitsu has started retailing? If yes, that's a great news considering the quality of their lubes. I am a consultant for their factory here in Maharashtra.
The plans for retail were being heard since almost 2 years whenever I visited their factory, but never got an update from them regarding having started the same.
I would definitely vouch for the tremendous efforts put by them for quality and product development having seen their processes.
Heading to industry buying right away to check out but will wait for an update from you regarding the delivery of the product.
Old 13th September 2017, 13:27   #8681
BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone successfully ordered from industrybuying? I had placed an order for IDEMITSU 5W30 SNA5/B5 Engine Oil (3.5 Ltr) on the 4th. It was supposed to be dispatched on the 10th but it wasn't. I called up the customer care and they're clueless. I'm thinking of cancelling my order. Any other place I can source this oil?
My FNG in Gurgaon has Idemitsu oil and i have used this for the last 2 oil changes. But it is the Semi Synth version

Costs around 1450-1500 for 3.5L. I can check where he gets his Idemitsu stock and if he the fully synth version is available in retail.

Rgds

Last edited by VineetG : 13th September 2017 at 13:30. Reason: Error in Answer
VineetG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 13:40   #8682
Distinguished - BHPian

Just FYI, I had spoken to an Idemitsu representative about their 5W-30 synthetic oil and he informed me they intend to start retailing their products soon but could not give a timeline. In the mean time, he advised me to visit my ASC for purchasing oil.

Hmm..but that's not an option for me. I will stick to Mobil 1 ESP, Shell Helix Ultra or Liqui Moly. Industry buying dot com has mixed reviews and I hesitate to purchase anything from them.
Old 14th September 2017, 01:08   #8683
Senior - BHPian

About to get my workhorse. The 2010 civic V-A/T Cng'd.
While I've found the best person to do that here in Bombay. Sooraj auto gas in Bandra East, iam still to find a good mechanic for the suspension overhaul.
I wanted to know that if I don't go to the service center and do it from a local mech what would the cost difference be.
Also if I were to buy the parts and give it to the mech who would be the best person to buy from and what brand.
And also who's the best person in the suburbs to get the suspension overhaul work done. Please recommend.
Old 14th September 2017, 02:43   #8684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
About to get my workhorse. The 2010 civic V-A/T Cng'd.
While I've found the best person to do that here in Bombay. Sooraj auto gas in Bandra East, iam still to find a good mechanic for the suspension overhaul.
I wanted to know that if I don't go to the service center and do it from a local mech what would the cost difference be.
Also if I were to buy the parts and give it to the mech who would be the best person to buy from and what brand.
And also who's the best person in the suburbs to get the suspension overhaul work done. Please recommend.
Your spot on about the CNG guy.

About a good guy for general maintenance like suspension work, well everybody trust his/her own FNG guy. So if you ask me, it would be my FNG guy. I'd advise you to use only genuine spares for a Honda though. My guy would do that by default.

Coming to sourcing the spares, since Honda doesn't practice counter-sales, if I'm not mistaken, unless someone important in the HASS is your brother-in-law, maybe, the other best place to go is Opera House in town. There are umpteen good stores providing spares for almost all cars under the planet. But it's important for you yourself to know what you're buying or take someone along who does know an OE part.

Some shops like Shetty Motors, for example, near Kennedy Bridge, is a good place to start. They also courier stuff to you, I think. There are other good shops too.

My Mech gets stuff directly from Opera House if we can't source it from around close.

Hope this helps.
Old 18th September 2017, 17:08   #8685
BHPian

Hey Guys!
Been a while. Could someone help me with a lead to where I can buy the door beeding for the civic from.
Post my last overcoat the rubbers inside and out seem to have cracked and deteriorated.

Thanks in advance

Noby John
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20170813150958.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20170813150421.jpg  

wildchild4lyfe is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed