Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2018, 11:49   #9241
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I believe that is not 'fully' synthetic oil that Honda and many other manufacturers are using these days. As you suspect and rightly so, any fully synthetic oil will cost upward of Rs. 1K per ltr.
Yes, it must be Semi-synth.

Quote:
5w/30 Mineral oil or 0W/30 or 0W/20 Synthetic. Honda recommended 0W-30 a few years ago but since last year, they have switched to 0W-20. The OE supplier of oil is Idemitsu, made by Savita oil aka Savsol in India.
Can you recommend any specific engine oil, I may look for Mobil 1 or LiquiMoly next time around.

Also, what is the frequency of servicing required. In the invoice, they have mentioned Mar-19 as the next service due date, its just 3 months away. Isn't the service and engine oil change required annually or 10k whichever is earlier.

And, what is the engine oil re-fill required at service, they have filled 3.7 ltr of oil. I thought it should be 4.2 ltr.

Quote:
This is the engine mount. A known issue with older part. The new part supposedly has no such complains of premature failure. Did you complain about vibrations of engine filtering into the cabin?
Yes, it is engine mount. There was slight vibrations at the cold start and the gap was very low at the mounting point so replaced it.

Quote:
A cost break up of the above service would have been helpful.
Don't have the copy of the bill, but I do have the entire cost break up in excel .

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-civic-service.png

KK

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 12th December 2018 at 11:50.
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 12:19   #9242
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Can you recommend any specific engine oil, I may look for Mobil 1 or LiquiMoly next time around.

Also, what is the frequency of servicing required. In the invoice, they have mentioned Mar-19 as the next service due date, its just 3 months away. Isn't the service and engine oil change required annually or 10k whichever is earlier.

And, what is the engine oil re-fill required at service, they have filled 3.7 ltr of oil. I thought it should be 4.2 ltr.
Thanks for the break up. Some stuff like battery testing, blower cleaning, Honda diagnostic scan do look trivial, but then that's the trend now. You have to be the judge as to what to get done and what not.

Coming to the engine oil capacity, don't worry, 3.7 ltr is the correct quantity to be filled (which is excluding the oil remaining in the engine). In any case, do check the level on the dip stick. See the chart below taken from the Civic's manual:

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-3manual_scan.jpg

Idemitsu is a good brand and you can stick with the Honda OE oil in that case and it's great value for money. Thankfully, it is now available in the market too. LiquiMoly is good too.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 12th December 2018 at 12:41.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 13:18   #9243
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello!

Had a complete service for my Civic done at HASS which included:

1. Engine oil change (synthetic),
2. Gear oil change,
3. Brake fluid/ clutch fluid change,
4. Air filter changed
5. Brake caliper lubrication
6. I asked for coolant change too but the only HASS in town had run out of it!

Total Cost was around Rs. 8K. I was disappointed with the service levels at HASS this time; details later. However, also noticed torn axle boots on both sides; which ideally the service guy should have noticed and told me but it was the other way round. When I showed it to them, HASS advised to change complete drive shaft assembly (L+R) costing around 40K, plus labour. That's their way of addressing a torn boot!

Thankfully the driveshaft itself was not making any noise and I grounded the car completely until we solved the issue. I decided to get that addressed outside HASS. Shashi picked up axle boots from Delhi & Suzuki Genuine Axle grease for the job which we decided to get done at Mahindra First Choice.

Cost of 4 boots: Rs. 3400/- (850 per piece)
Cost of 1 KG SGP grease: Rs. 2205/- (which we actually didn't use as lathe guys used their own grease)
Cost of replacement at MFC including some lathe work: Rs. 2308/-

Total cost incurred was Rs. 8K. Some pictures of the job:

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_6565.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_6566.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_6613.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_6615.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_6616.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_6630.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_6631.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_6632.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_6633.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_6634.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_6635.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_6636.jpg
saket77 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 09:17   #9244
BHPian

Fellow owners, please recommend LED light upgrade bulb for Low beam (HB4) and High Beam (HB3). I am a complete noob when it comes to lighting upgrade and don't want to decide myself.

First of all, will all LED (for headlight) make sense for 2008 Civic. If not should i opt for Low beam LED and High beam HID or any other better way. Mine doesn't come with fog lamps, only a provision is made.

I don't want a pure white light, so should I look at 4300k ones? Let me know your suggestions. And also I don't want to do much alteration work like relay, new headlight assembly etc, just looking for a plug and play kind of set up. My requirement is for long night drives, which invariably I plan for whenever there is outstation trip.

Thanks in advance.

KK
Old 29th December 2018, 10:31   #9245
BHPian

Quote:
Fellow owners, please recommend LED light upgrade bulb for Low beam (HB4) and High Beam (HB3). I am a complete noob when it comes to lighting upgrade and don't want to decide myself.

First of all, will all LED (for headlight) make sense for 2008 Civic. If not should i opt for Low beam LED and High beam HID or any other better way. Mine doesn't come with fog lamps, only a provision is made.

I don't want a pure white light, so should I look at 4300k ones? Let me know your suggestions. And also I don't want to do much alteration work like relay, new headlight assembly etc, just looking for a plug and play kind of set up. My requirement is for long night drives, which invariably I plan for whenever there is outstation trip.

Thanks in advance.

KK
Brother, my advice would be not to get LED/HID setup as it is of no use when coupled with stock multi-reflector setup available in Civic.
This will only lead to increased amount of glare onto oncoming traffic with no actual benefit.

LED or HIDs are better suited when coupled with a proper projector setup (like that from Morimoto) but this would be a costly affair as well as would require heavy modification of your headlight assembly. But let me tell you, many fellow BHPians have successfully done it even though DIY route.

On a cost effective setup, you can go for better halogens specially for low beam (which is actually weak in terms of light throw).
As an example, Osram Night Breakers are the ones I am using for both Low and High beam seperately and they are more towards natural sunlight Color temperature (~5K to be precise) and provide better illumination compared to stock halogens.

Cheers.
ashishrathi88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2018, 11:36   #9246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishrathi88 View Post
Brother, my advice would be not to get LED/HID setup as it is of no use when coupled with stock multi-reflector setup available in Civic.
This will only lead to increased amount of glare onto oncoming traffic with no actual benefit.

LED or HIDs are better suited when coupled with a proper projector setup (like that from Morimoto) but this would be a costly affair as well as would require heavy modification of your headlight assembly. But let me tell you, many fellow BHPians have successfully done it even though DIY route.

On a cost effective setup, you can go for better halogens specially for low beam (which is actually weak in terms of light throw).
As an example, Osram Night Breakers are the ones I am using for both Low and High beam seperately and they are more towards natural sunlight Color temperature (~5K to be precise) and provide better illumination compared to stock halogens.

Cheers.
Thanks ashishrathi88.

Can you give the link of the Osram Night Breakers bulb you got, as there multiple bulbs with similar names.

Also is 5k pure white? How about 4300k.

KK

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 29th December 2018 at 11:39.
Old 31st December 2018, 01:26   #9247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishrathi88 View Post

Cheers.
I am using HID's without projector on my civic. I tried it first as an experiment before investing in projectors because of the particular OEM setup of the headlights in my 2012 Civic where it has kind of a cap over the bulbs. Due do this the bulb doesn't directly throw the light but is reflected back to the reflectors which focuses the light on the road. I have checked the hot spots and light glare and it does not glare on to vehicles coming from the opposite direction, but focuses the light directly on the road. Basically since the bulb is not exposed like most cars, the glare is avoided along with brilliant illumination of the road ahead.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2019, 16:50   #9248
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks ashishrathi88.

Can you give the link of the Osram Night Breakers bulb you got, as there multiple bulbs with similar names.

Also is 5k pure white? How about 4300k.

KK
Apologies for a late reply.

Bulb specifications are as under.
High Beam : HB3 (9005)
Low Beam : HB4 (9006)
Fog Lamp : H11

All of them are available online at Amazon marketplace etc.

The Night Breaker Unlimited have been upgraded by Osram (which seems to be their marketing strategy) and the revised packaging calls them as Night Breaker Lazer etc.

As per the Color temperature (Kelvin) range, white light (or daytime sunlight) starts at 4300K while 5000K would be the starting point towards slight Bluish hue.
Old 23rd January 2019, 12:16   #9249

Hi, can anyone help me with an independent garage in Bengaluru (MG Road or Marathahalli address)? I need to change the engine mount on my 2006 Civic. HASS is quitting ridiculous price. Also there is a leak in the power steering pump and rack. HASS only wants to replace and doesn't want to try any repair. I will really appreciate your help.
Old 24th January 2019, 07:12   #9250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun-t View Post
Hi, can anyone help me with an independent garage in Bengaluru (MG Road or Marathahalli address)? I need to change the engine mount on my 2006 Civic. HASS is quitting ridiculous price. Also there is a leak in the power steering pump and rack. HASS only wants to replace and doesn't want to try any repair. I will really appreciate your help.
Arun, I had exactly the same issues in my Civic. I sourced all 4 Mounts from Ghai Motors in Delhi and got them replaced at my FNG in Hyderabad. As for Power Steering leak, I plan to get it serviced at the same FNG in next couple of weeks.
Old 24th January 2019, 08:33   #9251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun-t View Post
Regarding engine mount, I got it replaced at Honda a month back, you can go through the previous few posts to check it, it costed about 11k with labour.

If you want to get aftermarket parts there is TRW, as far as I know it costs around 2,800 or so for driver side engine mount. I sourced some other parts of Civic from Vikas of Sparesncare and he is very helpful in replying queries on WA and you can actually order him through WA itself and post payment he ships immediately. Let me know if you need the contact of Vikas.

Then you can get it replaced at FNG. I go to Pride Cars and it's on Mysore road, Rajarajeshwari Nagar.

KK
Old 29th January 2019, 09:46   #9252
Senior - BHPian

Well, now you can order idemitsu oil on Amazon.

IDEMITSU SN A5/B5 C2 5W-30 Fully Synthetic Petrol & Diesel Engine Oil (3.5 L) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07HK6KYRV/..._Yi9tCbCB7SG8T

It's around 2k for 3.5 litres. Have been using idemitsu for a while and it's pretty refined.

The front bearings have held up well once I got the front struts replaced two years back. Second engine mount holding well..4 years till date.

Power steering leaks are the only ones I face regularly. Minor leak in the rack that aggravates in winters which I've left as is. There's a bigger leak from somewhere, the bottle drains out in a week, so need to get that checked.

Clocked 1,92,000 kms yesterday, will complete 12 years in March.

She's still in good shape, and I'm readying her for another Road trip in the mountains next week. Honda has built a fabulous machine and I still drive it like she's half a decade younger 😁
coolkurt is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 19:08   #9253
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone have an idea where are the headlight level adjusting screws. My right beam is a bit high and t requires to be lowered. However I can't find the screws for adjusting the level.
Old 4th February 2019, 21:02   #9254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Does anyone have an idea where are the headlight level adjusting screws. My right beam is a bit high and t requires to be lowered. However I can't find the screws for adjusting the level.

These are pictures of my old headlamps that I had replaced on my civic.
Fixed beams I guess. The only leveling is for the headlight beam angle.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-civic1-800-x-600.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-civic2-800-x-600.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-civic3-800-x-600.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-civic4-800-x-600.jpg  

WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 15:25   #9255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Hi Mate,

There is a headlamp beam leveling motor, if you look closely you will find the slot on it to adjust the level of the beam.

Hope this helps.

Most Viewed