Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2019, 13:21   #9331
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya_911 View Post
The car has a heating issue in Delhi summer. The car drives perfectly fine at highways/hills with 100% A/C on but as soon as the car is standing with the A/C running with outside temperature above 36-37 degrees the car starts to heat up. The engine temperature gets normal as soon as the A/C is turned off.
This seems like a clear case of the condenser fan not working. It could either be the motor going kaput or some wiring issue(rat bite,etc). I suggest you show it to some competent electrition to get things sorted.

Alternatively, you could also have a look at this thread.https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...fan-motor.html (Honda Civic DIY: Replacing the condenser fan motor)
Old 12th May 2019, 15:26   #9332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys ,
I have a 2007 Civic with 138k on the odo.
The car has a heating issue in Delhi summer. The car drives perfectly fine at highways/hills with 100% A/C on but as soon as the car is standing with the A/C running with outside temperature above 36-37 degrees the car starts to heat up. The engine temperature gets normal as soon as the A/C is turned off.
I have gotten the radiator flushed twice but it’s of no use .
Fellow members please suggest as I really doubt that it’s the thermostat valve or an engine issue as in both these cases the car would have gone in heat while it’s being driven.
Did you get the ac relay checked out?
Old 12th May 2019, 15:35   #9333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Did you get the ac relay checked out?
Yes , I got it checked and also got the fans checked . All are working perfectly.
aditya_911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 11:17   #9334
Senior - BHPian

Is there an alternate option available for the Civic's parking sensors?
One of mine got broken (thanks to Pothy's parking assistants :( ) and got the shocker price of 10K for one piece from HASS. The parking sensor as such is still intact, but the outer clip (retainer) is the one that's missing.

This thread had some checks on the same issue earlier, but could not find a solution. The retainers I could find in amazon etc does not seem to be the one Honda have. This is the one which is little broader at the base, and not the plain circle that seems to be available.
Old 13th May 2019, 16:46   #9335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
System low on refrigerant? I remember mine behaving the same. Got a refill done and it has been good since then.

Talk about long term reliability and build.

Regards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavan_hurkat View Post
Definitely your car is on low refrigerant. But, also check the AC relay and temperature guage to be safe. I had this issue once when AC was kicking on and off, culprit was loose connection of AC relay. Have a good jet wash of the radiator. And also check radiator liquid- top up in case necessary.

Congratulations for 2,00,000 KMs! How's the beast treating you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Keeping the car mileage in mind it looks like your compressor is on its way out. Either the whole compressor or then just the magnetic clutch coil and/or pulley assembly

Congrats on the wonderful mileage.

Relays were fine. As pixantz said, the magnetic clutch coil is kaput. Will get it replaced tomorrow. Delhi summer makes it an urgency!

The beast is treating me pretty well. Over 2 lakh kms and she's still extremely reliable - I took her all the way to Auli, Uttarakhand from Delhi, around 1200 Kms round trip in Feb this year and she held up easily.

Quote:
Hi guys ,
I have a 2007 Civic with 138k on the odo.
I have gotten the radiator flushed twice but it’s of no use .
Fellow members please suggest as I really doubt that it’s the thermostat valve or an engine issue as in both these cases the car would have gone in heat while it’s being driven.
My car had the same issue. There was a leak in the radiator and my thermostat valve was kaput. Replaced the radiator and the coil. Back to normal.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2019, 18:07   #9336
BHPian

The AC demon has crawled to my Civic as well. The AC is tripping and blowing hot air. I had installed an AC relay. The AC worked fine for a week but again started blowing hot air today when outside temperature was 36 degrees. Any suggestions?
Old 17th May 2019, 21:12   #9337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavan_hurkat View Post
The AC demon has crawled to my Civic as well. The AC is tripping and blowing hot air. I had installed an AC relay. The AC worked fine for a week but again started blowing hot air today when outside temperature was 36 degrees. Any suggestions?
I changed the relay quickly from nearby spare part shop and it is good now. It costed 120 bucks. The relay config is 12V25Amp.
Old 19th May 2019, 12:52   #9338
SAS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
Yesterday the right hand side rear view mirror of my V-MT got hit and broke in the process. The housing has cracked and the turn indictator smashed. The adjustment and other things are working just the housing is cracked

Woukd I have to replace the entire rear view mirror or is the housing available? Any suggestions what I should do?
Guys.. for the benefit of others as well who may have faced the same issue as me, I was finally able to get it fixed at a low cost:
1. I purchased the headlight light from abroad. Got it through Aliexpress. Part is made by Stanley/ I picked it for approx Rs 800
2. Went to the a FNG near Milan Subway and got it fixed for Rs 500
3. there is a minor scratch in the housing which I shall fix with an adhesive later.

Overall, I'm happy with having got it fixed for a fraction of what the looters at Honda ASS were quoting. Those lazy looters dont want to open the rear view mirror assembly,source the part and replace it. they would prefer looting customers by Rs 10k for a new ORVM.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_20190519_111423-n.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_20190519_111628-n.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_20190519_120427-n.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 5th June 2019 at 00:18. Reason: Images inserted in-line.
SAS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 19:43   #9339
BHPian

Hello everyone. I am thinking of buying a pre-owned Civic (preferably Automatic). Kindly advise as any particular year Models to be avoided? Also what can be the expected Maintenance Cost per year and what amount should be kept as reserve for unexpected maintenance? My use would be primarily in the City with occasional Highway drives and running would be around 8-10k KM/Year.
Old 26th May 2019, 11:17   #9340
BANNED

@ccolkurt; Please do not call it a beast.

I object to the term.

Use a better term.
Old 26th May 2019, 13:55   #9341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
Hello everyone. I am thinking of buying a pre-owned Civic (preferably Automatic). Kindly advise as any particular year Models to be avoided? Also what can be the expected Maintenance Cost per year and what amount should be kept as reserve for unexpected maintenance? My use would be primarily in the City with occasional Highway drives and running would be around 8-10k KM/Year.
Hi Adi, I have a February 2010 V AT done around 42k kilometers. Giving you my general viewpoint, feel free to ask more specific questions.

No particular year models to be avoided as such. I think around 2009-10 they updated the Civic to the rectangular tail lamps from the earlier round ones. Maybe the suspension was slightly firmed up after all the complaints about scraping speedbreakers in the earlier one. There is a fix for this by putting spacers on the rear suspension. Normally there are no issues, you need to be very careful with a heavily laden car over speedbreakers/very bad roads.

I have replaced the brake pads around 35k kms and the front struts were replaced in the warranty period around 27k kms. No other maintainence issues at all. I service the car around 5k kms or one year as my running is very low and it costs approximately 5 thousand rupees.

In city use I have never seen more than 7kmpl on the meter console, never bothered with the tankful method, so no idea. Highway use maximum I have seen is 14.5 to 15 kmpl with very good speeds. It generally averages out to around to 12 kmpl with around 200 kms of running.

The car remains a pleasure to drive, especially the hydraulic steering feel which is fabulous. The car feels very stable at high speeds too.

I am very happy with my Civic and cannot see myself parting with her anytime soon

Happy hunting.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2019, 15:52   #9342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Hi Adi, I have a February 2010 V AT done around 42k kilometers. Giving you my general viewpoint, feel free to ask more specific questions.
Thank you for the information Cyborg. Will search for a similar year model. The annual servicing cost seems to be reasonable considering Honda. I am not very finicky about the economy as my running is going to be low. Still 15 kmpl on the highway is amazing. Thank you once again.

Last edited by aah78 : 5th June 2019 at 00:18. Reason: Please quote only relevant portions of posts. Thanks!
Old 27th May 2019, 12:03   #9343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
Just look out for 2 things, which are weak points in a Civic.
1) Engine Mount, costs 8500 to replace at ASS
2) Power Steering Pump leakage, costs anywhere from 5-10 K to repair at a good FNG, or get a replacement china made/rebuilt pump.

The other things are general wear and tear like control arm bushes, linkers etc, and are not a big deal.

Rest of the car is bulletproof, including the Auto Transmission. My V AT has done 1,50,000 kms and approaching 10 years, and has been very reliable.
In Delhi NCR, i get an average fuel consumption of 9 kmpl.
Just make sure you have access to a good FNG to take care of minor niggles that may crop up, that can happen with any car.

Regular oil change is all that is required every 10K kms (Approx INR 3000), with Air Filter being changed every 20K Kms (INR 1100).
Fuel Filter is expensive, changed at 40K kms, costing 4500.
A/T oil changed at every 60K kms, costs around 3500.
Brake pads last 50 K kms approx, get them changed at FNG, approx 1500-2000 for a set. Don't get them changed at ASS, cost 3-4 times as much. I am still on my stock brake discs, so no need to change them if there is no issue.
Spark plugs are changed at 100K kms, cost 4400.
It is really inexpensive to maintain.

Buy it and enjoy the drive.

Rgds

Vineet

Last edited by VineetG : 27th May 2019 at 12:15. Reason: Adding a point
VineetG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 16:58   #9344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineetG View Post
Just look out for 2 things, which are weak points in a Civic.
1) Engine Mount, costs 8500 to replace at ASS
2) Power Steering Pump leakage, costs anywhere from 5-10 K to repair at a good FNG, or get a replacement china made/rebuilt pump.
Thank you VineetG for the detailed maintenance costs. I have access to a FNG and will take his help during purchase and for future maintenance. It is really good to know that the transmission has been reliable over such a long period. The maintenance costs do seem reasonable considering the Honda brand and a car of that size. Just the good news I need.

Last edited by aah78 : 5th June 2019 at 00:18. Reason: Reason: Please quote only relevant portions of posts. Thanks!
Old 5th June 2019, 00:11   #9345
BHPian

My 2006 Civic refused to start today morning. On diagnosing the problem at my FNG, it appears that the starter motor's pinion/Bendix gear (not sure about the correct term) is slipping. Since the last 2 days, I noticed that the car was taking longer than usual to crack like in the case of a weak battery. The FNG offered to repair my starter motor for 2.5k but I decided to get the entire starter motor replaced since it was long on my list to be replaced as preventive maintenance anyway.

Since Honda doesn't sell spares off the counter I had to go to Hallmark Honda-Nerul to place the order for the part which wasn't in stock by paying the full amount in advance. They also told me that I will have to get the part installed at their workshop only. It is extremely frustrating when companies don't sell parts off the counter. No wonder Maruti and Hyundai are at the top in India.

Posting a small video replicating the problem:

Last edited by aah78 : 5th June 2019 at 00:20. Reason: Spacing.
Kashish is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks