Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2019, 22:14   #9391

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Hi All,
A newbie here (actually my first post here! ). I just bought a pre-worshipped civic last week which had the PS pump replaced by the dealer before delivery on my request based on the observed leakage in the pre-purchase inspection in an independent garage. The car is a 2011 V AT in black colour, run 72K Kms. While going through the service records in HASS, they had suggested to go for a complete overhaul (~ 1 Lakh) for the issue, due to which I first dropped the idea of going ahead, but found courage after going through at least half of this thread

I still see a few drops of clear oil,below the parked car every day which looks like the PS fluid although don't see a drop in PS oil in the reservoir.

Can the group kindly suggest a reliable garage in North Bangalore where I can get the car checked once more? Have a small official trip to US coming up in the next month and I plan to get any OEM parts form there if the garage suggests so.

Here are pictures after the car got a detailing session by Ultimate Detailers, Jakkur. Ain't she lovely guys?
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_20190824_194525.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_20190824_194535.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_20190824_194812.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_20190824_194819.jpg

Last edited by manson : 28th August 2019 at 15:41. Reason: Typo.
saurabhku12 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 10:29   #9392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhku12 View Post
Hi All,
Have a small official trip to US coming up in the next month and I plan to get any OEM parts form there if the garage suggests so.
Congrats on the car, she looks awesome. With regards to the Power steering pump and rack leakage it is common headache with the Civic. The rubber seals are the one to go which cause the leakage I think. If possible get original OE seals from the US and you should be good. Wishing you thousands of happy miles.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 20:07   #9393
SAS
BHPian

I have a quick question: the wheel center caps on my Honda Civic 2008 model V-MT have been lost. What is the size of those caps (in mm)? I'm planning to buy that through Aliexpress or some other similar website as the prices at the Honda service centers are atrocious!!
Old 28th August 2019, 15:36   #9394

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhku12 View Post
Here is a pic after the car got a detailing session by Ultimate Detailers, Jakkur. Ain't she lovely guys?
Lovely car! Congrats on the buy, she seems to be well cared for. Especially looking awesome in shining black with rain deflectors. As far as OEM parts, try https://www.hondapartsnow.com/ in US. You can chat with them and ensure that what buys fits your 8 gen. Good luck!
Old 28th August 2019, 16:11   #9395

Introduction

Ever since I bought my pre owned 2009 Civic Sport about 3 years, it has been nothing short of a roller coaster ride (Presently, in the enjoyable part of the coaster ride J)! I was talked into getting a Civic by my cousin who owned one, who did believe that it was the best thing since sliced bread! Ironically he sold his and moved to greener pastures in Australia, as I bought mine. Of course, I got a lot of help through some members from this forum and I will be grateful for their timely help.

My thought process used to always vacillate between its impracticality for city drives, low torque, low ground clearance etc to its ultra sure footed stance on the highways including firm brakes, smooth acceleration, the solid feel on high speeds etc. Few years on, now the car has clocked about 75K on the odo and is in fine fettle post a mid life refresh. This is an attempt to share my experiences. I have been deliberating about writing this, only to be put off by looking at the level of astounding detail some posts have gone into, however I mustered enough courage to finally give it a shot. Keeping my fingers crossed that someone benefits of this in some way…here we go..

Background

Right after acquiring my car, I took it to Ignite (Raghav also happens to be my college junior, which makes every visit to Ignite very that much personal!) for a thorough check up that resulted in the following upgrades

1.Exedy Sports Clutch (Done at my insistence)
2.Spark plugs replaced to NGK (Apparently previous owner had installed shorter plugs)
3.Mobil Synthetic oil

Apart from the above, I also got a friend to get me a K&N filter, complete set of CANBUS Error free LED lights for the Interiors, High power Philips Halogens for the Exteriors (Thanks to advise of Raghav, I stayed away from LED headlamps), four disc pads and a few other cosmetic add ons, all sourced from US through Hondapartsnow and Amazon.

Fast forward a few years later, I thought the car could serve me well if she had a refresh. As though to goad me into action, the car suffered a couple of punctures on the Chennai Bangalore Highway. That lead me into sanctioning a "budget" of Rs 1 lakh for the refresh and upgrades, I had in mind.

Mid Life Refresh - The thought process, DIY and Execution

A key decision that had to be taken, should I go for the refresh and splurge or buy another car more suited to the city driving like Honda City ( I owned a Gen 2 earlier) or a butch Scorpio. On top of this, I had to contend with my wife constantly complaining that I tend to spend more on the Civic than her and by all accounts its trueA sketchy thought process took shape, but never got to the end goal in a straight line, it was a series of back & forth and that helped!

In my mind the Civic scored on the following
1. The timeless and ageless design of the 8 gen car both the exteriors and the futuristic cockpit type layout with the near perfect steering wheel. The low ground clearance and long wheelbase becomes a huge asset on the highway due to the lowered CG
2. Front driver comfort and even more on the rear
3. Absolute blast to drive, especially on highways. I rarely pushed it beyond 120Kmph, fully aware of the vagaries of our Highways.
4. Relatively quiet cabin
5. High value for money, as I bought the car pre owned with things like Airbags ,ESP, rear seat Audio controls etc. You can't even buy a new Dzire for the money spent, and they are worlds apart!
6. Ultra smooth cruising, between 100 to 140. She easily keeps up with cars that are a segment or two above.
7. Lastly, the feel good factor and head turning value of the car, as you announce your arrival in style without being pompous. It speaks for itself.

A lot has been said on the low ground clearance of the Civic and that coupled with lack of torque, larger turning radius and wheelbase were the only small setbacks I learnt to live with.

Once the decision was made to take the Civic for refresh, I decided to go the DIY. Not exactly, the getting your hands greased up DIY, but researching, arriving at the brand of OEM, where to source etc was something I wanted to do myself. I did this all to feel more connected to the car and also to figure out if I could make performance upgrade improvements like the slotted rotor discs and brake pads that could be sourced from the US. While some of them worked, others like brake pads failed as I got the wrong part and sending it back was a challenge.

TIRES, decided to replace all 4 and stick with the one rarely used stepney. Again this forum provided me with a lot of ideas and inputs. I looked to upsize the tire to 205 R16 from stock and almost went ahead, however I decided against it for the ill effects on steering, odometer issues etc. Again I was pointed in the right direction by my buddy @klassics45. Choice was between the OEM Good year or Michelin Primacy ST3. I settled for the latter, due to its soft compound, dealer service and general reliability. What a world of difference, the GY were good, but not even in same league as the Primacy. Now they also run on Nitrogen, regularly balanced and aligned. I feel like I finally did justice to the Civic by letting it run more freely, and it does! Its almost time for its first tire rotation.

SUSPENSION, Yes, the constant scrapping out at speed breakers was bothering me although the shocks seemed to be ok. My FNG helped me to source the right components and I stuck with the OEM replacements from TRW. I also looked at sourcing from websites like bodomo, but the lack of quick shipping and a transparent returns or exchange policy kept me away. It was the same thought process that also kept me away from sourcing these from US. Also, my luck ran out when I got wrong brake pads once, so now I am very watchful and try to buy these offline.

Description of Spares/Service
Cost in INR
All four TRW Shocks, front tie rod end, ball joints, bellows, steering linkage etc
18, 800
Engine oil, Transmission oil, power steering, brake fluid top up, coolant
Labour charges
Water wash & Exterior/Interior clean and polish
Primacy ST3 + Amaron Battery

25000 +6000

Exedy clutch, NGK plugs, Mobil (First service)
Grand TOTAL

PS: Other USD purchases like brake pads, LED lamps, headlights etc not included in the above.

FLUIDS , Ever since the vehicle has been with me, she has been running on Mobil Synthetic 5W 30. This time around, I came across Idemitsu and decided to give it a go. That apart, I also decided to bleed out the transmission oil and top up with new oil. Although the initial feedback from the car has been satisfactory, the Idemitsu switch is not something I am too happy about. I strongly feel that the Ultra smooth running that was a hallmark of Mobil is not existent with Idemitsu.

Some of the other projects that I thought about but since have dropped are completely repainting to keep the car blemish free. However driving in Chennai, I have decided to keep the car with a few scratches (mostly side mirrors and few to the side skirts), as an insurance to avoid more.Somehow crazy two wheelers and autos know when a car is fresh off the paint booth. I also decided to keep the originality intact with the white body skirts, white alloy wheels and spoiler with 3M polishing every 6 months or so. Similarly, dropped the idea of poly urethane spacers to increase the ground clearance. I agonized about this for long and did away with it as soon as new tires were in, didn’t want the stability of the car to be compromised at high speeds.

The saga continue. I would like to welcome readers to suggest the next upgrade to keep this beauty running around forever!

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20180826_181239.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20180826_181053.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20180826_181614.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20180826_181339.jpg

Mod Note: Please Strictly avoid editing in an external editor. It leaves unwanted tags. Use the forum editor instead.

Last edited by ampere : 28th August 2019 at 17:11.
slickshots is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 18:10   #9396
Senior - BHPian

civic oem wiper blade part numbers
76622STKA01 (650mm)
76623SNAA11.(575mm)
these can be ordered at any Honda service. costs about 1300 for the pair and easy install on the oem mitsuba wiper frame. the rubber pulls out easily in only one direction.
kutlee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2019, 18:10   #9397
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapitude View Post

Since recharging the battery and reconnecting it to the car, the speedometer doesn't work. Earlier it use to flicker and it was due to moisture for sure as it happened only in monsoon(last year for few times only).

The red LED stays on. After running gauge diagnostics, it says "ERROR 3" and googling that I found the below information:

Please find the picture attached for reference.

I m yet to check fuse 10 (under dash) and fuse 23 (under hood) as i was called off.
Were you able to troubleshoot this issue?

Today, I had the same issue with my Civic too when I took out the car and I remembered about your issue! The entire speedo console was blacked out. The only display that was working was the turn signal indicators on the console. Rest all the gauges in the console i.e..the speedometer, temperature and fuel gauge went completely dark. The rpm gauge and everything in the other console were working fine. So after a drive of about 20-25 kms I came back home. Pulled out fuse no. 22 and 23 from the fuse box under the hood. Checked for continuity and they were fine. I cleaned the contacts anyway and plugged them back in. Then did the same with fuse no. 10 and 14 near the driver’s footwell from the MICU. Also, unplugged the big 3 connectors from the MICU and reseated them. And voila, the speedometer console was back in action. Try this if your problem is still there. Hope it’s a case of bad or loose contact just like mine.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 22:21   #9398

Hello all.

Apologies if this was resolved in an earlier post: and would be grateful if anyone could direct me to the appropriate links.

I would like to raise two issues:

1. A long-standing persistent problem of rain leakage in the A pillars, I believe, is owing to aged and partly dislocated weather strips. HASS is trumpeting 14,000 for these. I would like to know if there are better alternatives and what the more reasonable rates are, if any?

2. The power steering of my 2007 Honda Civic 1.8 is exhibiting symptoms of an apparent leak; over the course of a year, the steering has grown increasingly tough; the PS fluid levels decrease ever so slightly during interval inspections. And no sign at all of any drippings underneath the car. Not. one. bit.

A few people have suggested going for an O-ring replacement. As I am currently located in South Delhi, and I have found no luck so far with any mechanics I'm familiar with. Can anyone direct me to a good mechanic who can handle Power steering repairs and the weather strip issue with aplomb while being economical?
pearce634 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 08:09   #9399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshots View Post
FLUIDS , Ever since the vehicle has been with me, she has been running on Mobil Synthetic 5W 30. This time around, I came across Idemitsu and decided to give it a go. That apart, I also decided to bleed out the transmission oil and top up with new oil. Although the initial feedback from the car has been satisfactory, the Idemitsu switch is not something I am too happy about. I strongly feel that the Ultra smooth running that was a hallmark of Mobil is not existent with Idemitsu.
Idemitsu is a cheap and good quality oil that serves you well. Mobil 1 is superior in all respects to it though, besides being quite a bit costlier.

With your kind of budget you might want to try Amsoil in that grade (and check your Civic manual to make sure 5w30 IS the recommended grade, Honda has been changing recommendations and grades for quite a while. These days they recommend 0w20 - though for the old 1.8 it will run just fine on 5w30. As you're in Chennai contact their local distributor Rajagopal (98233 49676) if you want Amsoil, it isn't available in the usual oil stores.

For your car especially as you bought it used, drain and replace (not just bleed and topup) coolant, brake fluid, automatic transmission fluid (or if a manual then gear oil) with whatever is the recommended spec, using good brands (Shell, Zic, Liqui Moly, Motul, Pentosin if you want it though it is super costly) if you don't trust the Honda default fluids for these.

Last edited by hserus : 4th September 2019 at 08:11.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 10:14   #9400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearce634 View Post
Hello all.
A few people have suggested going for an O-ring replacement. As I am currently located in South Delhi, and I have found no luck so far with any mechanics I'm familiar with. Can anyone direct me to a good mechanic who can handle Power steering repairs and the weather strip issue with aplomb while being economical?
BHPian Coolkurt gets his spares from Ghai motors around karol Bagh Delhi I think. Kindly search for same on this thread you will get Ghai's no. Call him up and see if they can fix the issue for you. Alternatively PM Coolkurt for the no and see.
Good Luck.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 10:28   #9401
Senior - BHPian

Finally got rid of a very strange issue. One that burnt up the clutch bearing. Thrice!

It all started 3 months back. My first clutch was changed at 90k KMs. I got a Daikin Exedy clutch set. It lasted for all of 105000 KMs. So I landed up for a clutch replacement in May at 195k KMs on the odo. Got a new Daikin set. New bearing. All set. 1 month later, burning smell. Got it checked. Bearing kaput. Clutch plate for worn as well. My trusty FNG guy ( I've been going to him for 10 years) is now a bit old so I thought maybe he made some error in installing. Got a new set. New bearing. One month later, bearing kaput. He said maybe I'm riding the clutch. Or someone else is driving. I disagreed. Went for a new bearing. Circa Aug. The bearing burns out again.

I was a bit lost for words. Did I really change my driving style? Was it I who was actually at fault? My FNG guy was also lost for words. He also knew my driving style and didn't really thing riding the clutch was the issue here. He asked for an extra day to figure things out.

Next day he called me. He showed me the clutch master cylinder. Apparently there was a lack of play and at times it was getting stuck. He said maybe this keeps the bearing stuck to the plate, even when the pedal is retracted, which leads to premature wear.

Got the master and slave cylinders changed. Everything seems good now. Such a relief.
coolkurt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 14:59   #9402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Finally got rid of a very strange issue. One that burnt up the clutch bearing. Thrice!

It all started 3 months back. My first clutch was changed at 90k KMs. I got a Daikin Exedy clutch set. It lasted for all of 105000 KMs. So I landed up for a clutch replacement in May at 195k KMs on the odo. Got a new Daikin set. New bearing. All set. 1 month later, burning smell. Got it checked. Bearing kaput. Clutch plate for worn as well. My trusty FNG guy ( I've been going to him for 10 years) is now a bit old so I thought maybe he made some error in installing. Got a new set. New bearing. One month later, bearing kaput. He said maybe I'm riding the clutch. Or someone else is driving. I disagreed. Went for a new bearing. Circa Aug. The bearing burns out again.

I was a bit lost for words. Did I really change my driving style? Was it I who was actually at fault? My FNG guy was also lost for words. He also knew my driving style and didn't really thing riding the clutch was the issue here. He asked for an extra day to figure things out.

Next day he called me. He showed me the clutch master cylinder. Apparently there was a lack of play and at times it was getting stuck. He said maybe this keeps the bearing stuck to the plate, even when the pedal is retracted, which leads to premature wear.

Got the master and slave cylinders changed. Everything seems good now. Such a relief.
Brother, I need to get the engine mount replaced.
Can you please share the contact details of your trusted FNG?

This will be of great help to me as I do not want to get ripped off by Honda dealerships.
Thanks.
Old 11th September 2019, 15:43   #9403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishrathi88 View Post
Brother, I need to get the engine mount replaced.
Can you please share the contact details of your trusted FNG?

This will be of great help to me as I do not want to get ripped off by Honda dealerships.
Thanks.
Greetings. I'll pm you Ghai Spares number and address. The mount is for around 1900 or 2100. You can get it done at the shop itself, Ghai will get you a mechanic. It's a 15 min job.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 20:07   #9404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Greetings. I'll pm you Ghai Spares number and address. The mount is for around 1900 or 2100. You can get it done at the shop itself, Ghai will get you a mechanic. It's a 15 min job.
Thanks brother. I have been to Ghai/Metro Spares located in Malviya Nagar, Delhi. He sold me counterfeit Brake Pads (with original Honda packaging) which released too much brake dust (covering the entire rim) with poor braking.

Can you PM me your FNGs mechanic's details where you got the clutch and master/slave cylinders replaced?

I really need a trusted and experienced mechanic to get my car repaired!
Thanks in advance.
ashishrathi88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 20:13   #9405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishrathi88 View Post
Thanks brother. I have been to Ghai/Metro Spares located in Malviya Nagar, Delhi. He sold me counterfeit Brake Pads (with original Honda packaging) which released too much brake dust (covering the entire rim) with poor braking.

Can you PM me your FNGs mechanic's details where you got the clutch and master/slave cylinders replaced?

I really need a trusted and experienced mechanic to get my car repaired!
Thanks in advance.
That's pretty strange. I've never really had an issue with any of the car parts from Ghai. Quite a few Bhpians get their stuff from him. Maybe you got unlucky with the pads.

I'll pm the mechanic's no. You can give him my reference - just say the one with the grey Honda Civic gave me your reference. He'll know. The guy's setup is nothing fancy. But he's an old hand.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks