Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2019, 19:39   #9451
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post

Did you run on factory sized tyres or had the 205 65 size instead of 195 65 sized ones?
No I was running the standard 195/65 R15. But I'm sure the car has taken a lot of beating after 12 years and 2 lakh kms. So not an uncommon problem.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 10:47   #9452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
What is the screech sound on cranking the engine after a day of parking? I have a 2010 Civic AT done 60,000 km and I can replicate this sound only if I park for more than 18 - 24 hours.
How's your engine mount looking like? Most of the engine bay sounds and shrieks that's closely related to cold starts tend to a failed engine mount. Please check if it still have sufficient gaps in

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
No I was running the standard 195/65 R15. But I'm sure the car has taken a lot of beating after 12 years and 2 lakh kms. So not an uncommon problem.
Steering rack (for those running the hydraulic) should not be turned full right or left as it tends to overload the pumps and build pressure in the system. Theoretically this will not lead to any problems since the system is designed to handle it, but regularly doing this has the potential to damage.
I think, its noted in Civic's manual as well.

Could this be one of the reason for frequent failure?
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 04:52   #9453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Could this be one of the reason for frequent failure?
Not really. The main issue in my case is the pump. I sourced it from outside and it works well, but minor leaks from seals persist. So I'm just living with it.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 10:29   #9454
Senior - BHPian

Got the engine mount, lower arm bushes, stabilizer rod bushes and link rods replaced.
22k burnt for the same. (10.5k for the mount).
Took 2.5 weeks for the full sourcing of parts, and got the work completed the day they arrived.

Thankfully the car is back to its normal self
Old 5th November 2019, 10:51   #9455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Got the engine mount, lower arm bushes, stabilizer rod bushes and link rods replaced.
22k burnt for the same. (10.5k for the mount).
Took 2.5 weeks for the full sourcing of parts, and got the work completed the day they arrived.

Thankfully the car is back to its normal self
Got the mount changed at HASS? Reliability of the aftermarket mount is a problem but I've been lucky so far. Got my mount from Ghai Spares for 2k and it has lasted all of 57000 kms so far. What was the issue with the link rods?
Old 5th November 2019, 16:30   #9456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got the mount changed at HASS? Reliability of the aftermarket mount is a problem but I've been lucky so far. Got my mount from Ghai Spares for 2k and it has lasted all of 57000 kms so far. What was the issue with the link rods?
Yes, its all done at the HASS. In Tvm am not aware of reliable garages to get the work done. I did check the spareshub.com Sumeeth suggested as well, but got lost for getting it done once procured.
The lower arm bushes and the rods were damaged. The car has been mostly idle for ~2 years which caused the rubbers to go bad it seems.
Old 6th November 2019, 16:07   #9457
BHPian

Hi friends,
I have a 2007 Civic, 1.8 AS automatic. Facing a peculiar problem. I am able to remove the key from the car even with the car in started condition. I remember that there was some kind of mechanism which prevents the key from coming out with the car in started condition. Noticed this about a month back. This happens with the original key that came with the car. What could have gone wrong and what is the solution?
Old 6th November 2019, 16:12   #9458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
Hi friends,
I have a 2007 Civic, 1.8 AS automatic. Facing a peculiar problem. I am able to remove the key from the car even with the car in started condition. I remember that there was some kind of mechanism which prevents the key from coming out with the car in started condition. Noticed this about a month back. This happens with the original key that came with the car. What could have gone wrong and what is the solution?
Your key edges probably have worn out. Does this happen even with your spare key? The key should not come out while driving.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 16:19   #9459
BHPian

Quote:
Your key edges probably have worn out. Does this happen even with your spare key? The key should not come out while driving.
Lost the other key. I have only this one key now. Will this be solved if I get a new key made? Is wearing out of the edges the only reason or there could be something else?
Old 7th November 2019, 15:54   #9460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Is wearing out of the edges the only reason or there could be something else?
The reason is most likely as Sumeeth suggested.
Whether its just the key or the mechanism is difficult to distinguish since we donot have the spare.

Ideal solution would be to order new key from Honda and see if that solves the problem. (Regardless of the present situation, its good to have a spare key available) If new key also behaves the same way, would suggest to get the mechanism checked.

Also remember to get the new keys ordered based on the key number and not replicated with your worn out keys.

Last edited by sarathlal : 7th November 2019 at 15:55.
Old 7th November 2019, 17:01   #9461
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi friends,
It is both the key and barrel wear and tear that are responsible for this. You can change the key but there's no guarantee it will remain locked when the car is started.

If the car starts and all accessories work well (when the key position is ON or ACC as the case may be) then try and ignore it. Normally you would need to replace both, which may be a needlessly expensive exercise given your car's age. Besides the lock assembly may not be easily available.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 18:15   #9462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
It is both the key and barrel wear and tear that are responsible for this. Besides the lock assembly may not be easily available.
This is India, there is always a way . I had the same issue about 3 years back, ie.. around the 10th year of my ownership. Was all set to go for a road trip to the mountains the next day and at the evening the day before, the key just wouldn't turn in the lock.

Called the key guy I knew. And trusted. He checked it and said the assembly is kaput. Barrel wear and tear. My keys were worn out too. He took the assembly out, took it and repaired it within 1.5 hours , and made me a new key. Damages - Rs 2500 and 1.5 hours of time. No further issue till date.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 18:19   #9463
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is India, there is always a way Damages - Rs 2500 and 1.5 hours of time. No further issue till date.
yeah Indian jugaad is always there when there's no hope. A true saviour when it comes down to many things big and small.

Maybe you could put @highflyer (based in Lucknow according to his profile) in touch with that bloke.

Last edited by R2D2 : 7th November 2019 at 18:21.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 18:45   #9464
BHPian

12.5 years old with 1,72,500 kms on the odo

Finished a much needed service, it was nearly a year (351 days to be exact) since my last one. I had always been prompt earlier with oil changes, with the Honda advised six month/10k kms interval. I did 1,28,153 kms in the first six years, averaging 21,360 kms a year. In contrast in this last year, I have done only 4,500 kms. So stretched the interval. (all of the driving was done by me with only a few hundreds at most by friends. I don't let drivers touch my Civic!)

Car is as usual silky-smooth, the 4-lane drive was pure bliss!
It is now 12.5 years old with 1,72,500 kms on the odo.

minor problems:
The motor on the ORVM drivers-side kept running continously, it would not stop. I had this electrically disconnected. Now I have to adjust it the old fashioned way, with hands and fingers, better than spending a fortune to have it replaced!

The main-key does not work with the boot. The spare-key works though. So I guess that the main-key is worn out. Maybe I'll have to carry the spare-key too with me on long drives so that I don't get stranded.

Due to low usage, my earlier battery had corroded the clamps holding it in place. The clamps and base were replaced, paid Rs.1,559
manim is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 10:32   #9465
Senior - BHPian

Re: 12.5 years old with 1,72,500 kms on the odo

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
minor problems:
The motor on the ORVM drivers-side kept running continously, it would not stop. I had this electrically disconnected. Now I have to adjust it the old fashioned way, with hands and fingers, better than spending a fortune to have it replaced!
The main-key does not work with the boot. The spare-key works though. So I guess that the main-key is worn out. Maybe I'll have to carry the spare-key too with me on long drives so that I don't get stranded.
The motor has some gears which needed to be set properly. I had this issue twice on my car. It was repaired for a heft sum of 1900 each time. Might be cheaper at your end but it repairable and can be done. You need not live with it by operating it manually.

It is a good idea to keep the space but again a duplicate key is also fairly easy to make if the key maker has the proper tools. Had two duplicates made for around 1.6k for my Civic. But doesn't the Civic have a boot opener from the car?
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks