Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2019, 11:58   #9481
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Update on the PS pump issue:

The China sourced pump that I'd installed in 2016 finally gave way. I scoured the market and the original costs Rs 19k while Ghai gave me a quote of Rs 4200 for the China import.

Went for the latter as I don't intend to keep the car for very long. The power steering is back to being super smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
My experience of the mount from Ghai's was also not good. So I decided to cut open both the mounts. Ghai's internal design was having much lesser chambers for oil compared to original one. I guess I had posted the comparison somewhere in this thread. But I was happy with the bush kit he gave for the suspension.
If it's the mount that you're talking about when we met in Delhi, the design has changed. The new one has lasted for more than 70k for me

Last edited by coolkurt : 26th November 2019 at 11:59.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 18:32   #9482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I guess I had posted the comparison somewhere in this thread.

That was why I advised sharathlal, if the car is a keeper to go the HASS way
Thanks! And here is the engine mount surgery thread of yours

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post3654390 (Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos)
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2019, 13:19   #9483
BHPian

I am planning to get a pre owned manual civic. What all should i get checked in the car,any common problems?I plan to get a complete scan from honda before buying the car.
Old 1st December 2019, 09:28   #9484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanttalwar View Post
I am planning to get a pre owned manual civic. What all should i get checked in the car,any common problems?I plan to get a complete scan from honda before buying the car.
This has been discussed many times on this thread buddy but here goes.
1. Engine mount.
2. Power steering rack and pump leakage.
3. Cooling coil for the ac.

The above are the most common issues the Civic has. Rest are regular like any other vehicle eg bushes, joints etc. All the above at HASS are expensive to fix, independant garage is the way to go. Honda's mounts are better but cost 10k a pop.

Good luck. Try to get a single owner car if possible.
Old 1st December 2019, 11:37   #9485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
This has been discussed many times on this thread buddy but here goes.
1. Engine mount.
2. Power steering rack and pump leakage.
3. Cooling coil for the ac.

The above are the most common issues the Civic has. Rest are regular like any other vehicle eg bushes, joints etc. All the above at HASS are expensive to fix, independant garage is the way to go. Honda's mounts are better but cost 10k a pop.

Good luck. Try to get a single owner car if possible.

+ Underbody for any damages as the car is very low slung and chances of scrapping the underbelly is likely.

AC Condenser coil issues also come up in this generation of Civic and has been highlighted by multiple owners in our forum. So, a peek at it is also essential.

Good luck with buying! IMO go for a car which is less driven and well maintained even though it would be 30-50K costlier than a less maintained one.

You will enjoy ever mile with a grin on your face. This 8th gen Civic is a gem.
Old 1st December 2019, 20:01   #9486
BHPian

Driver side seat belt buckle is not going in smoothly in my Civic. It gets locked in after multiple attempts using a lot of force. Something is either broken or dislodged inside the buckle.
Took it to HASS. They told me that it would need to be replaced. I paid an advance and asked them to procure it since it was not available. They have placed the request but haven’t received the part even after a month. Since it has an electrical connection for seat belt indication, they can’t use a normal buckle. Haven’t tried other workshops and part vendors.
Any suggestions?
Old 2nd December 2019, 09:46   #9487
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
Driver side seat belt buckle is not going in smoothly in my Civic. ----Haven’t tried other workshops and part vendors.
Any suggestions?
Though I am not 100% sure but I think the belt buckle should be a common part across many cars since the seat belt design looks almost identical. Also, all new generation cars come with the provision for electronic indicator. You should try a spare part shop and get any OE/ good brand buckle. You can easily check if it engages/ matches your seatbelt design as it can be checked without fitting the part to your vehicle.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 10:13   #9488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Though I am not 100% sure but I think the belt buckle should be a common part across many cars since the seat belt design looks almost identical. Also, all new generation cars come with the provision for electronic indicator. You should try a spare part shop and get any OE/ good brand buckle. You can easily check if it engages/ matches your seatbelt design as it can be checked without fitting the part to your vehicle.

Regards,
Saket
Thanks @Saket77. They tried to fit the buckle from other Honda cars but none of them are of the same fit. I was quite surprised myself since I believed commanality of this part for cost saving etc. Will try spare parts shops.

Any other suggestions?
Old 2nd December 2019, 10:55   #9489
BANNED

@Highflyer; Most spared for the Civic are imports. For example the wipers. So I am not that shocked.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 17:26   #9490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Highflyer; Most spared for the Civic are imports. For example the wipers. So I am not that shocked.
Thanks @sgiitk. Searched on YouTube about seat belt buckle issues. Used WD-40, Silicone Lubricant and a screw driver to work the parts inside the buckle. It is working perfectly now. Wondering why it didn’t occur to me earlier. After all it has mechanical parts inside that might have got rusted or jammed.

People at HASS never tried to look at it from this angle. They were straight up for replacement.
Is it an issue of integrity, repair philosophy or couldn’t care less attitude?

Last edited by Highflyer : 3rd December 2019 at 17:38.
Highflyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 18:25   #9491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
Thanks @sgiitk. Searched on YouTube about seat belt buckle issues. Used WD-40, Silicone Lubricant and a screw driver to work the parts inside the buckle. It is working perfectly now. Wondering why it didn’t occur to me earlier. After all it has mechanical parts inside that might have got rusted or jammed.

People at HASS never tried to look at it from this angle. They were straight up for replacement.
Is it an issue of integrity, repair philosophy or couldn’t care less attitude?
Honda advisor once said to me they have a "replace and not a repair" policy. They wanted to replace my Civic's power steering pump and rack once for a 1 lac rs, I said no thanks.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 23:31   #9492
Senior - BHPian

For those of you who thought retrofitting the steering wheel controls was difficult or impossible, here is a sneak preview in my Civic

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1575396057.873495.jpg

More later...
iTNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 06:20   #9493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
For those of you who thought retrofitting the steering wheel controls was difficult or impossible, here is a sneak preview in my Civic

More later...
Please give more details and where to get the exact sizes.

KK
Old 7th December 2019, 12:38   #9494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Please give more details and where to get the exact sizes.

KK
Did the followings:

1) Ordered part #36770-SNA-A12 from AliExpress - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3290...71254c4d69gj9G

2) De-assemble the steering wheel making sure Battery (-ve) terminal is disconnected so that airbag can be removed.

3) The part #36770-SNA-A12 comes with both Audio controls (left) and Cruise Controls (right) - all in one harness.

4) Just after the clock srping, there is a white harness. For my Civic, it only have one wiring - that of the horn at position 10. We need to add pins for the position 3 and 4, which are for audio controls.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-steering-wheel-conector.jpg

And you need to wire these two with that of the audio unit connector harness at position 6 and 7. Note that, as our civic already have audio controls at rear arm rest, these 6 and 7 are already connected. So, you will have to disconnect and re-use these positions to connect with the position 3 and 4 of the steering harness.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-audio-unit-connector.jpg

The steering harness only contains one pin at position 10 for horn. So, you will need to source the pins from elsewhere or purchase another equivalent harness to extract the 2 pins.

Here is an excellent video that would help you

The steps are easy once you know the pins diagram of the harness. The steering controls hardly costs Rs 1500, though it needs a lot of patience and time to disassemble and complete the circuit. I was replacing my headunit to Blaupunkt New York 750 and this was a good opportunity to install the steering controls as well, with the help of professional audio expert. So, if you don't feel confident of doing it yourself, take help from an expert as that will help you avoid accidentally breaking things.

I wish I could have done this retrofit 10 years when I bought the car.
iTNerd is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th December 2019, 13:27   #9495
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Honda advisor once said to me they have a "replace and not a repair" policy. They wanted to replace my Civic's power steering pump and rack once for a 1 lac rs, I said no thanks.
This is the standard corporate policy with all vendors. Replace & not repair is the buzz word. This is why as my cars are getting old I am off the corporate ladder.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks