Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2019, 15:52   #9496
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
This is the standard corporate policy with all vendors. Replace & not repair is the buzz word. This is why as my cars are getting old I am off the corporate ladder.

With Toyota, I differ. Recently had my boot covers replaced for my fortuner's drive axle. Honda or Suzuki would have asked me a straight replacement of the complete axle .
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2019, 16:16   #9497
BHPian

Would it be a safe bet to buy a 2011 civic, immaculately maintained with all service records and run around 1.1L kms?
Old 12th December 2019, 11:49   #9498
BHPian

Our 2007 Civic has done 2.2L km. The seals near the hydraulic steering assembly have given way. Some Pakistani forums suggest replacing the hydraulic steering assembly with an EPS set up, since the new seals won't hold for more than 2-3 months. We plan to keep this car with us for at least 5 more years. What would be the best fix for the steering assembly issue?

Secondly, all 4 coils have been replaced recently (few weeks ago) and the front end has some camber issue (I haven't looked into the details yet). Honda service executives are quoting around 30k for replacement. Has anyone else faced a similar issue?
Old 12th December 2019, 13:54   #9499
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmreaper_gtr View Post
Our 2007 Civic has done 2.2L km. The seals near the hydraulic steering assembly have given way. Some Pakistani forums suggest replacing the hydraulic steering assembly with an EPS set up, since the new seals won't hold for more than 2-3 months. ?
Why would new seals hold for only 2-3 months? Unless something is damaged replacing the seals should work fine. Usually these hydraulic pumps are pretty easy to overhaul. Even if the shaft had some wear, any decent machine shop should be able to bring it back to its original specifications.

Changing it out to an EPS seems a lot of hassle to me, if you are concerned about the seal, why not simply replace the hydraulic pump?

Jeroen
Old 12th December 2019, 14:07   #9500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Our 2007 Civic has done 2.2L km. The seals near the hydraulic steering assembly have given way. Some Pakistani forums suggest replacing the hydraulic steering assembly with an EPS set up, since the new seals won't hold for more than 2-3 months. We plan to keep this car with us for at least 5 more years. What would be the best fix for the steering assembly issue?

Secondly, all 4 coils have been replaced recently (few weeks ago) and the front end has some camber issue (I haven't looked into the details yet). Honda service executives are quoting around 30k for replacement. Has anyone else faced a similar issue?
I had the rack overhauled twice and the pump thrice. The rack & pump (seals replaced) each lasted 2-3 years post repair before they started to leak again.
Old 12th December 2019, 21:37   #9501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Why would new seals hold for only 2-3 months? Unless something is damaged replacing the seals should work fine. Usually these hydraulic pumps are pretty easy to overhaul. Even if the shaft had some wear, any decent machine shop should be able to bring it back to its original specifications.

Changing it out to an EPS seems a lot of hassle to me, if you are concerned about the seal, why not simply replace the hydraulic pump?

Jeroen
Replacing the pump does seem like a good idea. But as of now I guess we'll have to stick to just the new Seals. Already have spent a lot on the coils and the AC pipe.
EPS fitment was an unusual fix I came across and was wondering how much it would cost. Although I wouldn't dare do it... I love the HPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I had the rack overhauled twice and the pump thrice. The rack & pump (seals replaced) each lasted 2-3 years post repair before they started to leak again.
2-3 years seems like an alright interval. Depending on what the service executives say, I might go in for a complete overhaul in a year.
Old 13th December 2019, 11:40   #9502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bking View Post
Would it be a safe bet to buy a 2011 civic, immaculately maintained with all service records and run around 1.1L kms?
Depends on your usage requirement and wanting to buy the 'Civic'.
It needs bit of babying and is not a super practical city car. Recommendation will shift, if you look forward for highway cruising.

If you donot have access to local known garages that can handle the Civic, would need to stick with HASS and replacement would be expensive in this case.
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 18:17   #9503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Our 2007 Civic has done 2.2L km. The seals near the hydraulic steering assembly have given way.
Well. I had a similar dilemma. Got the rack repaired for around 4k around 9 months ago and that sorted the leakage issue. The China sourced pump I had installed in 2016 gave way. At that time I had paid 12k for the same. Was in a dilemma and was thinking of prematurely selling the Civic but on enquiry from Ghai spares, got a brand new China sourced pump for 4.2k. Happily installed it and the PS system is back to the usual.
Old 21st December 2019, 17:16   #9504
BHPian

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Anybody with Rogerab duo on their civic in Bangalore? I want to get it for my civic, but since Im not sure it will help a lot, I wish to see a similar example. Michelin energy XM2 tyres on my car have carpeted the ride to a big extent, and I only wish to get Rogerab due to speed breaker height issues. Since mine is a 2011 model, the rear suspension is tuned better compared to the pre facelift civic and has better absorption of potholes or bad roads.

Last edited by Ford5 : 21st December 2019 at 17:17.
Old 21st December 2019, 20:49   #9505
BHPian

I had them on my car both front & Back. No scraping on speed breakers since installation.
Old 1st January 2020, 20:48   #9506
BHPian

Quick update on my suspension issue: after getting front and rear coils replaced, I noticed the rear suspension had bottomed out. Tyres were hitting the wheel arches. We hadn't had the shockers replaced till now, so the brushes had worn out. On recommendation of one of my neighbors, I visited a shop in Palika Bhavan, B1. This guy is well trained on Honda suspensions and I immediately got a pair refurbished shockers for 3000/- (incl. labour charges).
There is a drastic improvement in ride and handling. Also, the car doesn't scrape anywhere. The guy recommended another modification:
A synthetic coil in addition to the metal ones installed. He claims that it'll raise the height just enough to overcome any speed breaker. He also claimed that a lot of Civic owners go for this mod. Has anyone here given this a try? My key concern is the safety and reliability of such a set up.

Another thing I noticed is that the rhs gap in wheel arches is a bit lesser than Lhs. The mechanic said this is characteristic to the Civic. Is that true?
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1577891842904.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1577891853810.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1577891871910.jpg  

grimmreaper_gtr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 03:17   #9507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A synthetic coil in addition to the metal ones installed. He claims that it'll raise the height just enough to overcome any speed breaker. He also claimed that a lot of Civic owners go for this mod. Has anyone here given this a try? My key concern is the safety and reliability of such a set up.

Another thing I noticed is that the rhs gap in wheel arches is a bit lesser than Lhs. The mechanic said this is characteristic to the Civic. Is that true?
I think what he means by synthetic coil is Rogerabs. If it's that you can easily go ahead. I am using it in mine.

Now for the wheel arch gap, this is interesting. I have the same and I was looking to change the rear springs. Never heard of this being a characteristic. Other's can confirm maybe after checking their cars.
Old 9th January 2020, 00:57   #9508
Senior - BHPian

Civic's front left and right shocks are of different capacity, but rear both are same as far as I know.
Regardless, the arch gap should not be different.

For rear wheel arch gap, it's typically around 3+ fingers gap
Old 10th January 2020, 02:57   #9509
BHPian

Any idea on how much AC Clutch will cost? I am having intermittent cooling issues. I changed the AC relay but still the AC cools intermittently when outside temp is high. Also, any idea on where the external temp sensor is located? Mine is stuck at different temp most of times and I feel this might be tricking AC. I may need to clean it. Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Change the AC relay. It should fix your issue. Had the same issue on mine. The relay was overheating. So it would maintain the connection at times, and sometimes it wouldn't. If I switched off the AC for a bit, and turn on after a while , it would work again.

Also, get a genuine relay from HASS. Should set you back by around Rs 1000. The relays in the market that I got for 100 odd bucks kept failing.
Did it solve your problem buddy? Or facing same issues again. I bought few for 100 bucks but still facing similar issues. Also, where is external temp sensor for the Civic? The dashboard temp on console is almost stuck and same for me. I feel mine sensor might be dirty or clogged. Thanks.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 10th January 2020 at 04:19. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts + Corrected typo.
Old 10th January 2020, 14:52   #9510
BHPian

Guys, observed some oil drainage below. Engine oil levels are good when I verified. I do top up power steering oil time to time. Your thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-1578648090068.jpg  

Most Viewed