Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2020, 12:44   #9601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Bought a set of front brake pads from Boodmo for my cousin's Civic. Since we needed the part urgently, got Uno Minda which was available instantly. My first experience with Boodmo and it was good. Ordered on 21st and the pads were delivered today morning.

Now coming to the car, the front disc is in bad shape and will require skimming. If it was my car, I would have preferred changing the disc itself but we will try to first get it skimmed in this case. If it works, good enough.

The car needs rear pads too.
Brother, I am also suffering from extreme vibrations and juddering while panic braking specially when the car is in triple digit speed and once the rotors/pads get hot after multiple braking.
Surprisingly the braking is totally normal in city conditions.

The entire frame and steering used to vibrate and I could clearly hear the sound coming from Front Right side after rolling down the windows.

Got the skimming done twice at FNG at 35k/40k as well as from HASS at 45k on odo. No improvement.

Even Silicone High Temperature grease was applied by HASS on back shims, caliper pins and clips.
Again no improvement what so ever.

The same issue used to crop up again after driving just for 500 KMs with visible mark on RHS rotors while the Front Left ones were still shiny due to skimming.

Now, I too think of changing the rotors as well as pads with OE part from Boodmo because that braking failure and juddering specially on Highway during panic braking scares the hell out of me.

Price is around 8000 INR for a pair of OE Disc rotor and 4000 INR for OE Pads at Boodmo.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th July 2020 at 22:39. Reason: Typos
ashishrathi88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 08:24   #9602
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hi Sumeet,

As my post mentions, the car doesn’t show any symptoms of overheating except AC cutting off and a hot bonnet.
I have the exact same issue. It’s currently at HASS. I am getting the engine mounts changed, 128,000 kms major service, new radiator hoses, new gear shift knobs, new bonnet insulation pad, front wheels brake callipers service, coolant flush (I did some diy last time and poured green colour coolant instead of blue). I ignored maintenance and am paying heavy price now though I don’t mind as I want to keep my civic. HASS said they want to change cooling coil, then diagnose why the ac is not working. Post replacement of coil if the ac is still not working, they intend to change the compressor Or condenser (I am unable to recollect). I asked them to halt work on AC immediately and I am going to get it checked from an AC expert (UNICON). Will keep you posted. Post all this my car will be sent for water leak fix and then I will dress the seats with new upholstery
Old 9th July 2020, 12:49   #9603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoth001 View Post
I have the exact same issue. It’s currently at HASS. I am getting the engine mounts changed, 128,000 kms major service, new radiator hoses.
AC in your car also cuts off as if the car is overheating? Or it cuts off as if the coil is chocked or something else? For me they wanted to change the thermostat and radiator and after that they wanted to change the compressor. I have given up on it. I am not even thinking of getting it fixed right now due to Covid situation. I might try getting it fixed before next summers once and if that doesn’t work I will get rid of this car. I do love the Civic and I am a fan of sedans and don’t like SUVs and nothing comes close to Civic even today except Octavia. And if Civic is giving me sleepless nights I can’t imagine what an Octavia would do if something goes wrong with it. Do let me know if you are able to fix the problem.if this problem gets fixed I will happily keep it for another five years.
Old 9th July 2020, 13:45   #9604
BHPian

Sure. Germans have an approach of simply replacing the part and the connected parts. That remains their philosophy in addressing the issue. Japs approach is somewhat different making it easier to just replace the defective component. We have a Vento and when a thermostat was not working, they replaced the coolant tank reservoir too !! Good for us as it was under warranty but I find it silly. With Japanese cars you don't have to do that. Skoda has similar engine base as VW. I could not drive my car for atleast 6 months at stretch. It was sitting idle all along. I recharged the battery and started the car and found out that blower fans were working but AC was not. Engine bonnet gets extremely hot (right side of the engine bay when you stand opposite to your car front). But this heating problem was there for years but AC never got tripped the way it gets with your car. I will post an update few weeks from now and probably talk to my AC mechanic about your issue.
Old 10th July 2020, 18:13   #9605
Senior - BHPian

Since the last week or so I am getting a peculiar whining sound which seems to be coming from the engine upon acceleration. Got my 2010 Civic automatic serviced on 3rd March,2020 at around 44xxx kms. A normal service was carried out, where they replaced the engine oil, filter and whatever else they do. There were no unusual findings reported by the Honda service centre either. After this, the car has hardly been driven 100 kms due to the Covid situation.

What could be the issue here? Has anyone faced a similar situation? Advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 10th July 2020 at 18:16. Reason: Adding text
Old 10th July 2020, 20:05   #9606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Since the last week or so I am getting a peculiar whining sound which seems to be coming from the engine upon acceleration.
Could be due to low Power-steering-fluid, I had a similar problem in year 2011. A Whining/Whistling noise when I was going up the hills (Mettupalayam to Ooty). When the fluid was topped up the noise vanished.

Don't know why low Power-steering-fluid creates this noise though.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 20:22   #9607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Could be due to low Power-steering-fluid
Thanks a lot Manim!

How do I check that and is it easy enough for me to top up? I would like to avoid going to the service centre as far as possible right now.

Is this good enough or you recommend something else? It’s available on Amazon.in for 9xx rupees.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-547e191dad374b96bc65c92ad3ccbfce.jpeg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-17fea869fdde45b889a27c8b9f2e0ac4.jpeg

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 10th July 2020 at 20:34. Reason: Adding text and photographs.
Old 10th July 2020, 21:34   #9608
BHPian

Quote:
How do I check that and is it easy enough for me to top up? I would like to avoid going to the service centre as far as possible right now.
it is easy to check the levels, it is on the RHS of the car in a transparent container, it is on your LHS when you open the bonnet.

It was topped up by the HASS, and the level never dropped again in the nine years after that incident.
manim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 13:14   #9609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
It was topped up by the HASS, and the level never dropped again in the nine years after that incident.
Spot on! The power steering fluid was the culprit, the fluid was significantly below the indicated lower level in the reservoir. As per the instructions mentioned on the reservoir, I topped it up to the upper level and the whining noise on acceleration is gone.

I have never checked this level in ten years of the cars life and evidently the Honda Service Centre also don’t bother to do that, as my car was serviced in March.

In case anyone has an issue with an irritating whining noise on acceleration do check the power steering liquid level first before anything else.

Thanks once again Manim.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 19th July 2020 at 13:15.
Cyborg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 16:06   #9610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spot on! The power steering fluid was the culprit, the fluid was significantly below the indicated lower level in the reservoir.
The main cause of a low level in the reservoir is usually a leak. Do check the level again after a week. And check after a couple of days of driving. If the level starts to dip, you might have a leak in the system.

I'd driven for 12k kms with a minor leak in the rack. Always used to keep a PS fluid bottle handy in the boot of my Civic and top it up every fortnight. Ultimately, the leak became a major one and I had to refurbish the rack.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 17:07   #9611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spot on! The power steering fluid was the culprit, the fluid was significantly below the indicated lower level in the reservoir. As per the instructions mentioned on the reservoir, I topped it up to the upper level and the whining noise on acceleration is gone.

I have never checked this level in ten years of the cars life and evidently the Honda Service Centre also don’t bother to do that, as my car was serviced in March.

In case anyone has an issue with an irritating whining noise on acceleration do check the power steering liquid level first before anything else.

Thanks once again Manim.

Cheers
If a PS leak is found kindly take it to a trusty garage whenever the situation improves. Honda themselves do not do such repairs and will outsource the work to a third party and charge you a hefty premium.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 14:08   #9612
Senior - BHPian

Clutch issue

I am experiencing the following issue on my 2010 VMT. I get the 'trrk' sound every time the clutch is depressed and generous doses of WD-40 have not helped in solving the problem permanently. The car has done about 35K in the last 10 years and is being used more frequently than ever before. From the reviews and comments on this thread, I suspect the clutch master cylinder to be the culprit. My apprehension of taking it to a HASS for diagnosis is obviously their charges. Is there any additional level of check I can do before confirming that it is indeed the master cylinder that needs to be changed? Any inputs would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 14:20   #9613
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Clutch issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I am experiencing the following issue on my 2010 VMT. I get the 'trrk' sound every time the clutch is depressed and generous doses of WD-40 have not helped in solving the problem permanently.
Try lubricating the clevis pin on the clutch pedal pivot joint before taking it to HASS. Take a look at the following picture. Part marked ’C’ is the clevis pin.

Regards.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-3340646d11884716be048bb565d27f16.jpeg  

Last edited by saket77 : 2nd August 2020 at 14:21.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 15:04   #9614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Try lubricating the clevis pin on the clutch pedal pivot joint before taking it to HASS. Take a look at the following picture. Part marked ’C’ is the clevis pin.
Regards.
Thank you. Will try this out. Would you recommend any specific lubricant for this or would WD-40 do the trick?
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 16:26   #9615
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Thank you. Will try this out. Would you recommend any specific lubricant for this or would WD-40 do the trick?
I think you should use a good quality grease. Hope it gets sorted. Please let us know.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks