Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2021, 13:33   #9736
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Will setting up the suspension spacer (TBHP thread on the same (Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspension?)) be of good use to the 2010 (Post facelift) model Civic's?
Mine is pretty good as stock, especially after the suspension replacement, but there is one extreme basement dip part in my regular route that's causing underbody scrape and would love to see a way off it.
Old 1st April 2021, 13:43   #9737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Will setting up the suspension spacer be of good use to the 2010 (Post facelift) model Civic's?
My 2010 Civic has the spacer and I feel it has definitely helped to a certain extent over ridiculous speed breakers. Go for it as I haven’t felt any downsides to doing it.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 13:45   #9738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
My 2010 Civic has the spacer and I feel it has definitely helped to a certain extent over ridiculous speed breakers. Go for it as I haven’t felt any downsides to doing it.

Cheers
Thanks for the quick response. Can you tell which one have you opted for?
Old 1st April 2021, 14:03   #9739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response. Can you tell which one have you opted for?
Sorry Sarath got it done awhile ago, completely blank on the name. I got it done from Auto Mech Engineers at Lower Parel in Mumbai. Please call them on 022 24926819 for more information or try +91 98210 47448 Vivek.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2021, 10:45   #9740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will setting up the suspension spacer (TBHP thread on the same (Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspension?)) be of good use to the 2010 (Post facelift) model Civic's?
Mine is pretty good as stock, especially after the suspension replacement, but there is one extreme basement dip part in my regular route that's causing underbody scrape and would love to see a way off it.
Do get alignment done once you install the spacers. I had the auto-runner brand I think and it made the suspension stiff. My mechanic had added additonal spacers (Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!) at the back and they helpded.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 00:59   #9741
BHPian

My 2013 Civic V AT which has done about 56k Kms is making a very faint knocking sound at idle when the AC is switched off. The same is not linked to to the rpms and engine speed and happens approx 7 seconds appart only at idle. The sound is only audible inside the cabin and not outside near the engine bay which is all the more puzzling. I have also heard a similar sound when the AC compressor cuts off before kicking in again, again at idle. No sound while driving or moving. I have ruled out a compressor clutch bearing as that's a constant whine.Also I have checked the engine mount which was changed over a year ago and there's a good gap there so that's ruled out too. Any sort of help would be deeply appreciated!

Last edited by raunaqv471 : 12th April 2021 at 01:18. Reason: Information
Old 14th May 2021, 12:15   #9742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Do get alignment done once you install the spacers. I had the auto-runner brand I think and it made the suspension stiff. My mechanic had added additonal spacers (Honda Civic Independence : CNG'd. EDIT: 1,13,000 km up and SOLD!) at the back and they helpded.
Sumeet and other friends,

Sorry for going OTT.

Have you anytime got your radiator cleaned?

I have not got my radiator serviced in ten years, due to low kms (1000 km per year) and good performance.

Now I want it serviced.

What all need to be done?
Old 14th May 2021, 12:45   #9743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Sumeet and other friends,

Sorry for going OTT.

Have you anytime got your radiator cleaned?

I have not got my radiator serviced in ten years, due to low kms (1000 km per year) and good performance.

Now I want it serviced.

What all need to be done?
Yes had it cleaned for 1500 bucks many years ago. It was over heating due to dust accumulation. Fresh coolant made by Wurth was added. Never had any cooling issues later.
Old 15th May 2021, 22:55   #9744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
I have not got my radiator serviced in ten years,Now I want it serviced
I cleaned mine with wuerth radiator flush. You'll need distilled water / mineral water bottles as no point flushing it with tap water if you have hard water supply.
Fairly simple : Let engine warm for 10 mins - pour in the concentrate in the car's emptied out coolant reservoir or remove the reservoir pipe and put it in the flush can. Let Engine run again for 10 mins - loosen lower hose pipe (there was no flush cock on mine) and let drain - keep pouring distilled water through radiator cap until the water runs clear. Tighten the lower hose - Check for leaks after you tighten as any leak there would be catastrophic.
Fill her up with fresh coolant and you're good to go.
P.S. - Don't skimp by re-using the old coolant - no matter how fresh / unused you may feel it is. Hope this helps.
WasavaTyres is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 12:35   #9745
Senior - BHPian

Hello T-BHP'ians. Need your valuable advice for purchasing used Honda Civic.

Background - I am always fan of Honda Civic and always dreamt about this particular car. New design doesn't suit my taste and budget both, period. I am planning to buy used Civic which I am planning to keep for 5 years.

I am getting some really good deals for Civic. Please help me on below points before buying one -

1 Manual or AT? Which is better? I personally like MT but don't mind AT if its good. Any maintenance or reliability issues for AT?
2 I can see few with CNG fitment, should I go for it? I personally don't like it. Don't want to wait for 30 mins for refilling just to save few bucks.
3 What is FE in city and highways?
4 Wat are general maintenance costs? Is it too costly too maintain?
5 I am looking for 2010-2011 models. What max running I should go for?
6 What other things I should look for before finalizing?
7 My running would be around 8-10K per year.

Thanks in advance.
Old 17th May 2021, 19:00   #9746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Hello T-BHP'ians. .....
I am getting some really good deals for Civic. Please help me on below points before buying one -
Hi,
Attempting to answer few of your questions;

1 Manual or AT? Which is better? I personally like MT but don't mind AT if its good. Any maintenance or reliability issues for AT?
ANS: Civic's torque converter is pretty good, reliable and have some punch to it and having the paddle shifters in S mode is fun. No specific reliability issues with AT. I would say to give it a try as its eventually a personal choice.

2 I can see few with CNG fitment, should I go for it? I personally don't like it. Don't want to wait for 30 mins for refilling just to save few bucks.
ANS: There are couple of fantastic Civic CNG threads here, please run through them and see if the characteristics fit your requirement.

ANS: FE in city would be ~8 if driven aggressively and ~ 11 if done sedately. Highways would touch ~ 14kmpl.

ANS: General maintenance is typically around 2.5-4K. Variation would come in with respect to whether its normal, medium or major service. But nothing out of the park in any of these. Parts are getting costlier nowadays though. So if you have to replace something off, it will be expensive.

ANS: This would be in line with typical used car buying checklist, nothing specific to Civic.

ANS: Check for the Engine mounts, Tires, Suspension, and underbody damages due to its low slung stance. (The first three could put a dent on the pocket if needs replacement). Apart from that, nothing specific. But would recommend checking this thread for detailed guide: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buyin...car-india.html (ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India)

All the very best on your search for the Civic!
sarathlal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 19:23   #9747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
Attempting to answer few of your questions;

ANS: Civic's torque converter is pretty good, reliable and have some punch to it and having the paddle shifters in S mode is fun. No specific reliability issues with AT. I would say to give it a try as its eventually a personal choice.

ANS: There are couple of fantastic Civic CNG threads here, please run through them and see if the characteristics fit your requirement.

ANS: FE in city would be ~8 if driven aggressively and ~ 11 if done sedately. Highways would touch ~ 14kmpl.

ANS: General maintenance is typically around 2.5-4K. Variation would come in with respect to whether its normal, medium or major service. But nothing out of the park in any of these. Parts are getting costlier nowadays though. So if you have to replace something off, it will be expensive.

ANS: This would be in line with typical used car buying checklist, nothing specific to Civic.

ANS: Check for the Engine mounts, Tires, Suspension, and underbody damages due to its low slung stance. (The first three could put a dent on the pocket if needs replacement). Apart from that, nothing specific. But would recommend checking this thread for detailed guide: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buyin...car-india.html (ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India)

All the very best on your search for the Civic!
Thanks a lot @sarathlal. This answers most of the queries.

For point number 6, I guess it would be better if i get car inspected by authorize Honda Service Station. Worth spending 1-2 K for it.

I am getting 84K Kms done car, Single owner, 2010 model, MT, no accidents, all 4 tyres new, battery new, well maintained, top model. Asking price is 3.5 L. Is it a good deal? I think around 3 L is a good price. What say?
Old 19th May 2021, 16:41   #9748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Manual or AT? Which is better? I personally like MT but don't mind AT if its good. Any maintenance or reliability issues for AT?
A-Get the manual if usage is not in traffic. For AT make sure the D light is not blinking when engaged. This means there is something wrong with the transmission.

A-For the love of God, don't do this. Enjoy the car for what it is for. Run it purely on petrol. If you need mileage, look elsewhere. This is coming from someone who put CNG in their poor Civic.

A-13-14 if driven sanely. I got these during my night shift days of my job.

A- Expensive at Honda if parts are needed. Reasonable if you know which part to get if something goes wrong at a FNG. This thread will help you a lot.

A- Most will be run close to 90k to 100k kms. Less is good but the ODO can be easily tamperered so don't go by the reading. Get it verified from HASS.

A- A leaking rack, power steering pump, bad right hand side motor mount and ac cooling coil are the main signature problems for the Civic.

Make sure to get a single owner one as these will be less abused. HAAS check up before buying is must. It will show if the ODO is tampered.

Good Luck.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 19th May 2021 at 16:46.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 16:57   #9749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Manual or AT? Which is better? I personally like MT but don't mind AT if its good. Any maintenance or reliability issues for AT?
A-Get the manual if usage is not in traffic. For AT make sure the D light is not blinking when engaged. This means there is something wrong with the transmission.

A-For the love of God, don't do this. Enjoy the car for what it is for. Run it purely on petrol. If you need mileage, look elsewhere. This is coming from someone who put CNG in their poor Civic.
Thanks a lot. It clears many doubts I had. Only problem I am having is finding genuine single owned car. Hope I will find one in good condition. I am looking on Cars24 mainly.
Old 19th May 2021, 17:07   #9750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot. It clears many doubts I had. Only problem I am having is finding genuine single owned car. Hope I will find one in good condition. I am looking on Cars24 mainly.
Kindly keep looking, do not settle if it does not feel right. Good examples are there, if possible look for direct owners rather than ones lying with non Honda dealers. These will have the ODO rolled back for sure mostly. If they do not allow the car to be inspected at Honda means there is something fishy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks