Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2021, 21:32   #9766
Senior - BHPian

Re: Goodbye Civic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
The time has finally come to bid goodbye to my Civic. It is still in perfect shape and had nearly zero problems so far in 14 years 3 months with odo at 1,75,000+ kms.
I took a test-drive of the 5th-gen-City a few days back. I also waited for the new-Amaze launched just yesterday.

Booked the City-CVT-V just a few hours back.
Well Manim your Civic was everything that a Civic stood for. Stellar reliability with great peformance, not to mention great looks. Sad to read you are letting it go. It will haunt you for sure and you might find yourself reaching our to your family member to whom you sold it for the keys.

The City is a good choice as a replacement for the Civic. You will not lose out on space for sure as both the sedans seem to be of similar size. Here's wishing you another trouble free 200k kms with the new City.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 22:16   #9767
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Sad to see your Civic go Manim. But good that it will be with your relative. Selling the civic crosses my mind sometimes as well. It was running on my mind again since last week. Had a 200KM run today and fell in love with it again. I guess you know what I mean.
I am trying to hold on to my current cars until a good mainstream EV enters the market. In other words, may be 3-4 years more.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 06:06   #9768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Here's wishing you another trouble free 200k kms with the new City
Thanks! of course I expect another 14 years of bliss with the City!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Sad to see your Civic go
All my family members feel sad after having lived with it for 14+ years. It had taken us to many places, near and far, and had never let us down even once.

Funny to think one can have an emotional attachment with a piece of machine!

Quote:
Had a 200KM run today and fell in love with it again.
I too had a 300 kms run on 4-lane roads recently and I know that a City can never beat this in high speed stability. And to know that nothing else on the highway can overtake me If I chose to, I was the King on the road!

Photos I took a few days ago:
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_1175.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_1177.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_1185.jpg  

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-dsc_1195.jpg  

manim is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 08:59   #9769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! of course I expect another 14 years of bliss with the City!

Photos I took a few days ago:
I don't believe this car is 14 years old. It seems more like a 5 year old. And the shape it is in, It would have done another 14 years easily. You seem to have ample parking space. Was it not possible to retain the Civic and buy another smaller vehicle like the Amaze and keep both cars?

The Amaze would saved you money on the cost of the City which then you could have used to maintain the Civic. Just a suggestion Manim, I respect your decision but a car like the Civic is just hard to let go. Even last night I dreamt that I have mine in my parking only to wake up and realise that it's gone and it was just a dream.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 21:52   #9770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentric View Post
While it's been listed as both the products are compatible with the Civic, I can't assure the same since I haven't performed the installation yet and the duration taken for delivery is 20 days!
The compatibility is verified. The products procured are a direct swap for the existing ones. Attaching few shots below,

23" Rubber blades New vs Old
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20210824_201319.jpg

Metal reinforcement strips from older blade
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20210824_205822.jpg

Skeletal frame of the blade assembly
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20210824_210628.jpg

Rubber blade with reinforcement
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20210824_210830.jpg

Being a first timer, I found this chore to be time consuming since I faced difficulty in removing and reinstating the rubber blades from the blade assembly.
eccentric is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 18:28   #9771
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The time has finally come to bid goodbye to my Civic.
Booked the City-CVT-V just a few hours back.
Oh! I totally respect your decision but can't hide the fact that am sad to see this note.
Congrats on your City and wish you the very best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
It will haunt you for sure and you might find yourself reaching our to your family member to whom you sold it for the keys.
Hey, exactly my thoughts when I saw the mention about it being with a closer family member

Quote:
Selling the civic crosses my mind sometimes as well. It was running on my mind again since last week. Had a 200KM run today and fell in love with it again. I guess you know what I mean.
Please don't! As Sumeet mentioned, once you do it, its gonna haunt you back in. Its such an amazing car to let go. Here's couple of pics of mine after completing its 60K mark that I incidentally updated on the ownership thread.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-civic_two.png

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-civic_one.png
sarathlal is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 02:06   #9772
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am doing a complete overhaul of my Civic. It has taken quite a beating in last 11 years. The car has driven 100000 kms. Since I was having heating issues and had a blown head gasket I changed almost all components related to engine cooling. Work done so far

1. Changed Radiator
2. Head Gasket
b. Thermostat
C. All hoses
D. Radiator Cap
3. Self starter solenoid ( Original one gave up same day the head gasket was blown. I couldn’t find the same in the market. My mechanic and the local parts dealer suggested a Maruti’s. Got the replacement. It was Denso make and lasted one day and ended up being short and draining the battery.
4. Changed seat covers since original ones were completely gone. The accessories shop messed up the armrest. They took it apart so they could put the cover on it and couldn’t fix it back. I did some research and fixed it myself. Also realised that Civic has a sliding armrest. Something I didn’t know all this while.
b. With seat covers I also changed the leather on the door pads. Now interiors look classy and fresh.
5. Changed the front speakers to infinity ref6520 components
6. Got the entire car painted. The paint had started fading from bonnet and pillers. Fresh paint has given her a new lease of life.

7. Changed engine mount
a. Hydraulic one (NOC make)
b. The torque mount (NOC make)
Still not satisfied with the car. Ever since the original mount gave up the car has never been the same. There are vibrations which were never there before. I was planning to get the OEM one from Honda however visited Ghai spares and he mentioned that NOC is japanese make and is one of the best in business. Tried it and burnt my hands and money. Has anyone tried aftermarket engine mounts?

Work Pending-
Suspension Overhaul (looking for advice)

AC Compressor replacement ( Cooling is brilliant however it has started making a click click noise)

Headlight upgrade (Suggestions welcome)

Amplifier for components and an undersea sub. (Again suggestions welcome) The infinity components I got were supposed to be really good. Three accessories shops suggested me this however I am very upset with the results. The clarity is good however there is no bass. The original speakers had better bass.

I am also looking at adding steering controls ( Any help on this will be really great)

All the parts changed so far have been OEM ordered through boodmo except radiator and engine mounts. I got a CR make radiator which Ghai spares guy said is OEM for Honda however it turned out it wasn’t true. So overall not very happy with Ghai spares.
nik0502 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 17:35   #9773
BHPian

Can anyone please share owners manual pdf of the previous generation Honda Civic MT, preferably 2009-2013 model?

I can't find any owners manual specific to India. If not then please atleast someone upload the maintenance/service page which has all the maintenance items and timelines. And also the page which has engine oil grade mentioned.

Thank you.
Old 18th September 2021, 17:49   #9774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pta320 View Post
Can anyone please share owners manual pdf of the previous generation Honda Civic MT, preferably 2009-2013 model?

I can't find any owners manual specific to India. If not then please atleast someone upload the maintenance/service page which has all the maintenance items and timelines. And also the page which has engine oil grade mentioned.

Thank you.
http://downloads.hondatech.info/Auto...ivic_06_4d.rar

Try here.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...t-dos-190.html (Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos)
Old 18th September 2021, 18:32   #9775
BHPian

Thank you for sharing the link. Sadly it appears that the link is dead, if by chance do you have any other link or rar file available, please let me know. Thanks a lot.
Old 20th September 2021, 14:11   #9776
BHPian

Quote:
If not then please atleast someone upload the maintenance/service page which has all the maintenance items and timelines. And also the page which has engine oil grade mentioned.

Thank you.
Captured the necessary from my mobile. So, pardon the quality.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20210920_1347561.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20210920_134826.jpg

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20210920_1350311.jpg

During last service at the ASC, my Civic was filled with 0W20 grade oil from Idemitsu. Today, on referring the owners manual, am surprised to see 0W20 is not in the recommendations list! Veterans, please share the best grade and brand of the oil to be used in Civic, ensuring longevity of the engine components.

Last edited by eccentric : 20th September 2021 at 14:17.
eccentric is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 18:35   #9777
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2209510

Attachment 2209511

Attachment 2209512

During last service at the ASC, my Civic was filled with 0W20 grade oil from Idemitsu. Today, on referring the owners manual, am surprised to see 0W20 is not in the recommendations list! Veterans, please share the best grade and brand of the oil to be used in Civic, ensuring longevity of the engine components.
Thank you brother. That was a life saver.
Honda ASC fills 0W20. After learning that I changed to Mobil1 5W30 immediately. Anyways I now maintain the car myself so will only send to ASC for some parts/fluids which are not available.

Quote:

Attachment 2209510

Attachment 2209511

Attachment 2209512

From what I’ve gathered, 0W20 is usually recommended for better fuel economy. On newer Honda’s it is there in the owners manual recommended oil list. 0W20 is a thin engine oil which is easy to pump and that’s why it helps in the economy.

Please note that 0W20 and 0W40 both will behave similar at lower temperatures. At higher temps 0W40 will be a lot more viscous and will provide better wear protection as it will stay for longer between the moving parts.

At cold temps 0W oils will flow much much faster than an oil like 15W or 20W and that’s where they shine by providing immediate protection during startup. That’s why with thick oil like 15Wxx or 20Wxx the car is difficult to start during cold temps.

To summarize in 0W40, 5W30 , 0 - 40 , 5 - 30 are temperature ranges in which oil is certified to operate and provide protection.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th September 2021 at 19:46. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your previous post and add contents if reposting within 30 minutes. Thanks!
pta320 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 19:12   #9778
BHPian

Quote:

At cold temps 0W oils will flow much much faster than an oil like 15W or 20W and that’s where they shine by providing immediate protection during startup. That’s why with thick oil like 15Wxx or 20Wxx the car is difficult to start during cold temps.

Hope that helps.
Quite informative.

Quote:
Thank you brother. That was a life saver. After learning that I changed to Mobil1 5W30 immediately.
You're welcome. Let me know if you need anything else.
What made you choose Mobil over other brands? And why did you opt for 5W30 instead of 5W40/ 10W30/ 10W40?
Old 20th September 2021, 19:28   #9779
BHPian

Quote:
]
You're welcome. Let me know if you need anything else.
What made you choose Mobil over other brands? And why did you opt for 5W30 instead of 5W40/ 10W30/ 10W40?
In case you find the page mentioning coolant change information, please do share.

You can chose any brand of oil. Just make sure that oil grade is same or higher than the one recommended in owners manual (most oils these days are API SN certified or greater). Brands hardly make any difference unless it's some unknown brand. Mobil, Castrol, Shell, Liquimoly, Pennzoil, Motul are all great brands.

Mobil is usually the most used as I see on many forums and has more reviews available backing up its image. On some YouTube tests Mobil1 marginally outperforms other brands. So all these factors combined with easy availability on Amazon makes Mobil1 my choice of oil.

From what I've seen Mobil1 0W40 (Ultimate all round performance) is the best engine oil you can buy in India. (0W40 is a higher grade than 5W30/40 and is complaint with European regulations which are usually stricter than US regs). But make sure your owner manual recommends it.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th September 2021 at 19:46. Reason: Penzzoil > Pennzoil
Old 21st September 2021, 00:03   #9780
BHPian

Quote:
In case you find the page mentioning coolant change information, please do share.
Refer the second attachment. The needful is tabulated in the second row of the table.

Last edited by vb-saan : 21st September 2021 at 09:10. Reason: typo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks