Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2021, 12:37   #9796
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
Last few days I hear a whining noise after start. It gets louder while turning the steering. Could it be due to PS pump?
I had a similiar problem many years back (in 2011). The whining/whistling sound stopped after the PS fluid was topped up. And it did not occur again.
manim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 13:04   #9797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I had a similiar problem many years back (in 2011). The whining/whistling sound stopped after the PS fluid was topped up. And it did not occur again.
There seems to be some leakage too in my car. I saw some oil marks on the ground below that area.
I topped up the fluid today and the noise has stopped. But, due to leakage I would have to get the problem rectified.
Old 28th September 2021, 13:24   #9798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentric View Post
Inspect the power steering fluid reservoir.

1. The fluid level should be between the Max and Min markings on the reservoir
2. Check for any spillages near the reservoir area and on the hoses. The underbody may be wet and you may find some fluid stains right on the ground where your car is parked

Didn't find any stains/ leaks?

Start your car and let it idle. Open the cap of the power steering fluid reservoir and check whether frothing is happening. If froth occurs, then the pump is sucking air into the system and has a symptom of blown O-Ring.

a. Replace the O-Rings on both the inlet and outlet side of the pump
b. Flush the power steering fluid completely and replenish with OEM fluid alone
c. Replace the fluid reservoir as well with a new one

Also,
i. Be gentle with the steering. Minimise the usage of lock to lock actions
ii. Park the car with the wheels pointing straight
iii. Downsize the tires and wheels if you have upsized any
Bang on analysis by you.

Checked the level of fluid and found it a little low. With engine running there was frothing too. There were oil spots on the ground due to leakage. Topped up the fluid at a local garage and the whining stopped right away.
Since leakage has been established, a repair would have to be carried out. Will contact the local garages for going about it. Will follow the line of repair as advised by you.

Thanks a ton.

Can any BHPian suggest a decent garage in Secunderabad?
Highflyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 17:32   #9799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raunaqv471 View Post
Yes, I did see that you have put quite a lot into the car. Might i say that if the AC is cooling perfectly, I doubt your condenser has a leak. Maybe the condenser fan motor or relay must have trouble. The way to confirm that is by running the AC during the afternoon heat and checking whether the vehicle overheats or not. If it does then you should get your condenser fan motor or relay checked to see whether it engages. As for the compressor, again I doubt a replacement is needed. usually the compressor starts making noise when the compressor clutch bearing develops issues and any decent FNG can fix that for you real cheap by replacing the bearing rather than the entire compressor( which Honda ASC would recommend). As for the car bottoming out, get your struts checked. Most likely your struts are shot and leaking and a strut and strut mounts replacement should fix this. Hope this helps.

Regards,...
Hi Raunaq,

The AC issue posted by me has been resolved. It turns out the car was indeed overheating and wasn’t showing on the gauge. The AC mechanic connected the AC directly which got rid of AC switching off when there was some increase in the temperature that resulted into a blown head gasket since it was 46 degrees outside the car was overheating and the AC didn’t cut off. To sum it up I have replaced every part related to engine cooling (radiator, gasket, hoses) with genuine Honda parts and the problem is resolved now. My mechanic suggested that I don’t need a new radiator but I still got a new one. Didn’t want to deal with the issues again. Did cost a bomb though. As for the compressor the cooling is brilliant however it is making noise I have confirmed with two FNGs too and both suggested a replacement. They suggested to get an old compressor however I am not too keen going that way. So if I get a new compressor than I will have to get the condenser changed too. As for the suspension I didn’t see any leak. To me it seems more like a coil spring issue than struts since the bounce action is not bad however the car feels very soft on the potholes and keeps hitting every bump.
nik0502 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 23:32   #9800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Yes got the suspensions changed, still early days of running. Will document full details on my ownership thread. Overall cost was 31700 + 4500 for fixing. The drive has become much better and stable, pot holes are now dispatched with a nice sounding thud. I can feel body roll much lesser, braking is much confidence inspiring and the front doesn't sag anymore on hard braking.

Will share more experiences later, here are some pictures.

Attachment 1811509

Attachment 1811507

Attachment 1811508

Attachment 1811510

Attachment 1811511

Attachment 1811512

Attachment 1811513
I see that you are also from Bangalore!

How is the ride quality after changing over to the trw and Sachs shocks?
Is it quite stiff and unbearable at low speeds in city limits?

Is there a pronounced effect in the reduction of body roll after changing over to these shock absorbers?

Do you happen to know if the shocks are also compatible for Honda Amaze, apart from Civic of course?
Kindly advise!
Old 4th October 2021, 01:17   #9801

Hello all,

My 2010 Civic MT has clocked only 39k so far. I am the second owner FYI.

Ever since I picked up the car almost 2 years ago, I have been noticing that the AC compressor is quite noisy when compared to other cars like a 2010 Corolla or even a 2008 Innova. Is this a typical trait of this generation of Civic ?

I had the entire AC system checked at a local garage, however they say everything is working fine. I am just concerned about the noise level, especially when the Civic 1.8 incredibly smooth and refined engine is almost inaudible at idling.

I have noticed that there is a loud "tick" sound from the dashboard and the compressor fires immediately after, quite loudly.

Any advise/help/suggestions please ?

Thank you.
Old 4th October 2021, 23:02   #9802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterprocrasti View Post
Hello all,

My 2010 Civic MT has clocked only 39k so far. I am the second owner FYI.

Ever since I picked up the car almost 2 years ago, I have been noticing that the AC compressor is quite noisy when compared to other cars like a 2010 Corolla or even a 2008 Innova. Is this a typical trait of this generation of Civic ?

I had the entire AC system checked at a local garage, however they say everything is working fine. I am just concerned about the noise level, especially when the Civic 1.8 incredibly smooth and refined engine is almost inaudible at idling.

I have noticed that there is a loud "tick" sound from the dashboard and the compressor fires immediately after, quite loudly.

Any advise/help/suggestions please ?

Thank you.

Hi, I can confirm the same behavior in my 2013 Civic VAT as well. Every time the compressor kicks in, it makes a faint groaning sound and when the compressor cuts off, sometimes an occasional faint ticking sound can be heard (like 5 seconds apart, not continuous). My 2012 i20 igen is very silent in comparison and I have observed this behavior in other MT 8th gen Civics as well. As long as the compressor isn't making a constant scraping or whining sound, you should be good.

Regards,

Last edited by raunaqv471 : 4th October 2021 at 23:03.
raunaqv471 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 09:55   #9803
BHPian

Some small pending issues attended to:
  • Handbrake lever cover broken - ordered from Boodmo - set costed me 1800, OE, fitted perfectly
  • Armrest lever broken - Ordered the necessary spring from Boodmo and replaced
  • Bonnet lift rod holder - The small clamp was missing for a long time. No one had it. Finally got it from Boodmo and fixed the same
  • i-vtec and 1.8V emblems - again from Boodmo and fixed

While driving the other day, the weather was cloudy and just out of curiosity pressed the windshield de-mister button, then reverted back, but the air flaps got stuck in the leg mode and no air was coming to the face. Watched couple of you tube videos and opened the glove box, tapped the motor/actuator and it started working again. Could be useful for someone for a quick repair.

Swami
swami69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 17:26   #9804
Senior - BHPian

Had a scary, heart stopping moment in my Civic 2010 V AT today, luckily I was not fast and didn’t need to stop urgently or it would have been an accident for sure.

The brake pedal just sank to the floor with no effect, I pumped it a few times and the car stopped very reluctantly. It was close to my place so nursed the car home. Brake is getting applied but very lazily and at the very end of the pedal travel. The car was running perfectly yesterday and even today there was no sign of any issue till this happened. There was no fluid on the floor of my garage when I took her out this afternoon also.

Please advice what I need to look into? I am not much of a do it yourself person, could it be a simple fix, something I can check/attend to temporarily before taking it to a garage or would it be advisable to call a mechanic home. I don’t want to take a chance driving it in this condition.

Thank you!

Cheers
Old 10th October 2021, 17:34   #9805
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Had a scary, heart stopping moment in my Civic 2010 V AT today, luckily I was not fast and didn’t need to stop urgently or it would have been an accident for sure.

The brake pedal just sank to the floor with no effect, I pumped it a few times and the car stopped very reluctantly. It was close to my place so nursed the car home. Brake is getting applied but very lazily and at the very end of the pedal travel. The car was running perfectly yesterday and even today there was no sign of any issue till this happened. There was no fluid on the floor of my garage when I took her out this afternoon also.

Please advice what I need to look into? I am not much of a do it yourself person, could it be a simple fix, something I can check/attend to temporarily before taking it to a garage or would it be advisable to call a mechanic home. I don’t want to take a chance driving it in this condition.

Thank you!

Cheers
Really scary. Please check fluid level in the reservoir. I think somehow fluid has leaked, may be a bad seal in any of the wheel.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 18:31   #9806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Really scary. Please check fluid level in the reservoir. I think somehow fluid has leaked, may be a bad seal in any of the wheel.
Thank you Saket77, gave me a perfect understanding of “heart skipping a beat” moment. My Wife gave a small shout too with “what are you doing”

I believe the correct fluid will be DOT 4, Amazon shows STP 17246US DOT4, will this be suitable? If the level is indeed low, can I just top it up, considering there is no leak of course. Last service was around ten months ago, but the car had hardly run 200-250 kilometres since then.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-3e7510aa482f48098dc3b3dd29f3663f.jpeg

Thanks again.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 19:32   #9807
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Thank you Saket77, gave me a perfect understanding of “heart skipping a beat” moment. My Wife gave a small shout too with “what are you doing”

I believe the correct fluid will be DOT 4, Amazon shows STP 17246US DOT4, will this be suitable? If the level is indeed low, can I just top it up, considering there is no leak of course. Last service was around ten months ago, but the car had hardly run 200-250 kilometres since then.
Thanks again.

Cheers
The fluid is indeed DOT 4 but I’ll advise against mixing brands or colours. Honda uses a transparent dot4 and that should be available on Boodmo. However, fluid level should not drop at any cost in a ten month window unless there’s a leak. I would urge you to top up and immediately check for a reason in level drop; if there is indeed a drop in level.

There could be other reasons as well for this kind of failure like a failing master cylinder but that should be step two in your diagnosis process. Please check level first and let us know.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 23:38   #9808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I have an issue with the weather strips on all four doors with the driver side having worn out very badly. This time when I gave the car for servicing at HASS I was quoted 1100 INR per strip. Left with no other choice, I have asked the SA to place the order for all 4. With rainy season setting in, I cannot afford to have water seep through the worn out weather strips.

Kindly inform the labor costs incurred on this job at the ASC. Also, any Before vs After pictures would be helpful. And, did you observe the work when being carried out?
Old 11th October 2021, 15:23   #9809
BHPian

Quote:
There seems to be some leakage too in my car. I saw some oil marks on the ground below that area.
I topped up the fluid today and the noise has stopped. But, due to leakage I would have to get the problem rectified.
Further update on the issue.
Gave my car to a nearby garage. He sent the pump to Rani Gunj where these repairs are done. It was repaired and reinstalled. Cost quoted 9500. While driving I was still hearing a noise from the pump. Repair guy told that it is due to a little air in the system and it would go away after few days.

Yesterday wife took the car to market. She called me and told that steering is stuck and can’t move.
A little later she informed that there is a lot of fluid below the engine area.
Called garage guy to come and have a look. His guy came and said that it can’t be driven now. Being Sunday his garage was closed. Car was parked overnight in front of a shop. Today, it was taken to the garage and on inspection found that one of the connecting pipes had come loose. Reason given “ Sir, the pump performance had become better after the repair and the pipe couldn’t take the extra pressure”. 😡😡😡 The pipe would have to be replaced now.

Sad state of affairs of reliability, accountability and sense of pride in some people who own these places.
Old 11th October 2021, 16:14   #9810
BHPian

Quote:
Further update on the issue.
Gave my car to a nearby garage. He sent the pump to Rani Gunj where these repairs are done. It was repaired and reinstalled. Cost quoted 9500. While driving I was still hearing a noise from the pump. Repair guy told that it is due to a little air in the system and it would go away after few days.
Have few questions for you,
1. Ultimately, what was the source of leak that had to be fixed?
2. Have any idea on what they did with the pump?
3. How much KMs on the odometer of your car?

Quote:
Sad state of affairs of reliability, accountability and sense of pride in some people who own these places.
The below scene is what am reminded of every time whenever I hand over my car either to the ASC or a FNG.
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-screenshot-162.png
Unless if am not observing what they're doing, I'll always have an eerie feeling on what mishaps the blokes would have done. And, to my sorry state, I'll witness my fears coming true. Last service, in my absence, the clowns at the ASC sent my car to a road side mechanic for AC gas recharge without seeking my approval, broke the car's stereo...
eccentric is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks