Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2022, 00:10   #9916
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Any recommendations for the High and Low beam lights? Planning to change the current ones and wondering whether to stick with the stock ones or are there any better choices available.
Hello sir! Been long. Hope you're doing great. Insist you to switch over to LED ones for both High and Low beam lights. Make sure to take it to a shop which specializes on the installation part since I feel my DIY needs refinement in the alignment where a slight disorientation of the bulb could scatter the light to worse extent.

Check out the video below,

Though the video is in Tamil, the uploader has included some relevant comparisons in the video throughout.

Regarding the product to choose, I feel the product quoted below would suffice since the color temperature is closer to real white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesanto View Post
Went with Genome 110w projector lens light and the result is amazing. Many saying, LED is not useful when it rains, I have not had any issues even at rainy nights, maybe because it is 110w and it can still manage to throw enough light.

Box
Attachment 2347950
Wishing the White Tiger to radiate some white light.
eccentric is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 08:32   #9917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentric View Post
Hello sir! Been long. Hope you're doing great. Insist you to switch over to LED ones for both High and Low beam lights. Make sure to take it to a shop which specializes on the installation part since I feel my DIY needs refinement in the alignment where a slight disorientation of the bulb could scatter the light to worse extent.

Wishing the White Tiger to radiate some white light.
Yep, doing well and thank you so much
Noting the recommendations, will scout for a reliable shop and try this out. Currently switched back to the stock bulbs. Will check this out and make the change.

How's the performance during rainy days! My earlier crystal visions were really bad during rainy days.
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 09:28   #9918
BHPian

Quote:
How's the performance during rainy days! My earlier crystal visions were really bad during rainy days.
On a recent highway drive, I witnessed heavy rainfall. While other cars struggled to cross 60 KPH, I was consistently managing speeds of 90 KPH! I had clear vision of the road ahead. Do note that the stretch is a 4 lane highway and there is no oncoming traffic.

The only time I felt the performance of the LEDs to be underwhelming is during the foggy conditions say the smog formed from the aftermath of burning crackers during festive season. I think this has to do with the color temperature of the light emitted from the diode.

Refer the image below,
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-colortemp.jpg
Warmer the light (<6000K), lesser the chances of worry in any conditions, I'd say.
eccentric is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 17:58   #9919
BHPian

Folks,

It is high time for my Civic to adorn new tires. My requirements are,

1. Minimal Road noise
2. Comfort
3. Life in the sense of age related wear (rubber hardening). I'll be retaining the tires for 5 years with an average running of just 5000 KMS per year. Am tired of the squealing the tires yield, as they age!

Maximum budget I've allotted is Rs.6500/- per tyre.

For now, I've shortlisted MRF Perfinzas since they seem to match my requirements well.

Continental UC6 retails for Rs.6850/- per tyre. Using this in our Swift since the past 4 months. Though the road noise at high speeds is minimal, they aren't so comfortable and to top that, witnessed efficiency drop of 1-2 KMPL.

Current ones are Bridgestone Turanzas and I don't see myself opting for the same again.

Kindly suggest your opinions and let me know if there are any other decent alternatives worth considering. Thanks.
Old 26th October 2022, 09:04   #9920

Hey, So my 2010 Civic (done 55000kms) was running quite well all this while but lately the rpm has been fluctuating while idling from 750rpm to 830rpm and back. No other issues as far as i can tell. Mileage hasn’t dropped as far as i have noticed. Any idea what could be the issue? Idle isn’t very smooth now but it drives fine.
Old 26th October 2022, 09:53   #9921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitrpatil View Post
Hey, So my 2010 Civic (done 55000kms) was running quite well all this while but lately the rpm has been fluctuating while idling from 750rpm to 830rpm and back. No other issues as far as i can tell. Mileage hasn’t dropped as far as i have noticed. Any idea what could be the issue? Idle isn’t very smooth now but it drives fine.
You need a simple fuel injector cleaning. Erratic idling is usually a symptom of clogged fuel injectors. You could also check the spark plugs and replace them if they haven't been changed for a long time.
Old 26th October 2022, 17:06   #9922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Idle issues could be due to throttle body needing cleaning. Post that you need to do scanning with HDS (Honda diagnostic) to set the idle RPM.
Old 26th October 2022, 19:53   #9923
BHPian

Quote:
+1 to the above replies, you could also try cleaning the air filter and the MAF sensor too, would help. I'm assuming that there are no check engine lights so the sensor is working correctly.
Old 26th October 2022, 21:06   #9924

Guys, Just replaced the battery and the audio system got reset and the volume controls are switched (the tune knob now controls volume and vice versa and the front speakers are very low as compared to rear ones?) what could be the issue? also check engine light is on with the code P1157 which wasn’t there previously
Old 26th October 2022, 21:48   #9925
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, Just replaced the battery and the audio system got reset and the volume controls are switched (the tune knob now controls volume and vice versa and the front speakers are very low as compared to rear ones?) what could be the issue? also check engine light is on with the code P1157 which wasn’t there previously
I'm not too sure about this, but have you checked if the terminals are connected correctly and not reversed while installing the battery?
Old 27th October 2022, 08:51   #9926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

It is high time for my Civic to adorn new tires. ...
Kindly suggest your opinions and let me know if there are any other decent alternatives worth considering. Thanks.
If Michelin Primacy 4 is available near you, thats a good alternative. They are smooth, grips well, rides smooth. I felt that they are more noisy than the stock Bridgestones, but not to unacceptable levels.
Old 31st October 2022, 00:59   #9927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzechItaliaMoto View Post
-At lower RPMs i hear some rattling sound before the car picks up momentum. This is heard pretty much all the time.

I have bought a transmission mount, upper torque rod to be replaced because the mechanic told the bushing had cracks in them, any suggestions to fix the above issues are welcome.

Thanks
UPDATE-

After changing the transmission mounting and the upper torque rod, the rattling has gone down.The lower torque rod also seems to be worn out which causes a really faint and short lived rattle at lower rpms will be changed this Tuesday, as soon as the parts arrive. I am positive that all noises will go away after this is fixed as well.
CzechItaliaMoto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 18:18   #9928
BHPian

Re: New Tires | New Wheel Bearing

Quote:
Folks,
It is high time for my Civic to adorn new tires....
....Am tired of the squealing the tires yield, as they age!
Quote:
If Michelin Primacy 4 is available near you...
Ultimately, had to settle for the Continental UC6 on the same stock size of 195/65 R15. The switchover clearly highlighted an already existing problem - humming/howling/helicopter noise. What I thought to be age related tire noise(6 year old Bridgestone Turanza ER300) was proven wrong! This was something else.

Background
Before deciding to change the tires, I wanted to find the root cause of the noise. Therefore, took the car to the FNG, had a test drive, individually all the wheels were lifted off the ground and any play in the X-axis / Y-axis were inspected and manually all wheels were rotated to detect any noise. No abnormalities were observed.

Driving post the tire change, the noise could be heard like a symphony. Like a live show in a theatre. Vividly explicit, that I could feel the howl is from the front driver side. Called the mechanic and informed him. He narrowed it down to the wheel bearings and asked me to bring the car. Meanwhile, without any concrete evidence of bearing failure and armed with some knowledge from Team-BHP itself,

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
After a few weeks of experiencing a pretty noisy ride in the car, I finally managed to sort the problem out last weekend. It was indeed the front wheel bearings that went bust.... One of his mechanics took the car out for a test drive and confirmed that the front bearings are gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
Swaroop, my car's front left wheel bearing was replaced at 37k kms. I detected the problem when I heard a faint grinding noise from the front wheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
The front wheel bearings of my civic conked off again in 3 months/6k kms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
It's definitely not from the engine , it's from the wheels , coz I switched off AC, Blower & put the car in Neutral to check the sound, the sound exists.
If it was from the engine, then the sound should have gone when I had put in neutral while driving (speeds between 85-115kmph).
The sound is not too loud either, but definitely noticeable (faint distant helicopter sound)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
Today I was driving my friend's civic 2006 model and there was some sort of humming noise coming from rear left side. This noise is coming once vehicle crossed around 20 kmph. According to me it can be either due to bad Tyre as the tires are 6 year old or it may be the bearing noise?
Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
Does anybody know what happens if wheel bearings fail? I am getting a whirring noise at speeds above 20kmph. Nothing while idling. From some Civic forums I could gather the sound could be of wheel bearing noise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
I started noticing some humming sound coming from my car when I drive it. I switched off the ignition when the car was in motion to confirm if the noise is there even if the engine was off and yes, it was there.
Then got the tyres rotated and the sound increased significantly.
I did place an order for the same via, https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-whee...g_kit-5238268/
Coincidentally, 1 was left in stock when I placed the order and it was dispatched the next day.
Now, equipped with the new bearing, I paid a visit to the mechanic who quickly did a TD and proceeded to dislodge the right front wheel--->brake caliper + brake disc. Below picture shows the result of this operation,

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20221114_135345.jpg

Troubleshooting
On rotating the Hub by hand, grinding noise was observed. Moreover, when we place our bare hands in the coil springs of the Front RHS shocker assy or the Knuckle, vibrations could be felt during the course of rotation!

The mechanic continued the operation but wasn't successful in dislocating the driveshaft-wheel end from the Knuckle assembly. Therefore, the driveshaft-transmission end is disconnected and the whole RHS driveshaft + Knuckle + Hub as an assembly was taken to the Hydraulic press shop.

Hence, the drive shaft is removed from one end of the Knuckle and the Hub was uninstalled from the other end. The removal of the Hub finally revealed the failed wheel bearing in the knuckle housing whose seal got separated as shown in the below image,
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20221120_200311.jpgHonda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20221120_200412.jpg
Then, the new wheel bearing and the Hub were pressed back into the knuckle and the car was commissioned back again. The noise vanished, ride turned smooth and car felt more eager to accelerate.

Inferences
1. Old Wheel Bearing - Make: KOYO, Japan; Identification: DAC4378W
2. New Wheel Bearing - Make: NTN, Japan; Identification: AU0933-7 / 2002190406
3. OEM Honda Part No: 44300TR0951; Price: Rs. 3732.00/-
4. The press shop owner and the mechanic pointed out the poor road conditions(potholes & craters) and any unhinged driving maneuver over those is the cause they quoted. Later I recalled an event when the front wheels plunged into a heavy depression on the road at a speed of >60KMH.

Post the tire change, the ride has become more European. The UC6 has stiffer side walls and this has stolen the comfort factor by 20% at least. And, that coupled with TRW struts & dampers, the car now feels more planted to the ground. At low speeds, some thuds and undulations could be felt, but on high speeds they were dismissed effortlessly.

Fuel efficiency too seems to have improved. A round trip of 72 KMS on a highway drive with the last 4 bars of fuel when I set off, ended the journey with 3 bars remaining! Top speed was 118 KMH & the return leg average speed was around 90 KMH. Couldn't attribute this solely due to the new tires in place or the new wheel bearing or the 3000 KM run-in Mobil1 5W30 oil or the sparse early morning traffic that day. Anyways, glad that she is back in shape.

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-20221122_130540.jpg

Thank you to all the owners, ex-owners and contributors to this thread. If it weren't for the information inculcated through here, it'd be impossible to maintain this Legend.
eccentric is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 14:49   #9929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The switchover clearly highlighted an already existing problem - humming/howling/helicopter noise. What I thought to be age related tire noise(6 year old Bridgestone Turanza ER300) was proven wrong! This was something else.
Coincidently, I also started experiencing this strange humming sound recently and identified it to be the rear right bearing going off.
Had it replaced yesterday at HASS and now things are back to normal. Hope the front stays as most of the occurrences we have seen so far were for the front ones to go off.
EDIT: Set back by 12,000 for the rear right bearing assembly.
Old 30th November 2022, 15:10   #9930
BHPian

Quote:
Coincidently, I also started experiencing this strange humming sound recently and identified it to be the rear right bearing going off.
Had it replaced yesterday at HASS and now things are back to normal. Hope the front stays as most of the occurrences we have seen so far were for the front ones to go off.
EDIT: Set back by 12,000 for the rear right bearing assembly.
Yikes! The concern about the rear bearings is that they are sealed within the hub and could be replaced solely as the HUB ASSEMBLY. Hence, the steep pricing.
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-bear...t_ntn-4473977/

Sir, any inferences on why the rear bearing failed? Say, low mileage or poor roads or heavy loading in the rear?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks