Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2008, 07:31   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

I have not forgotten that
Old 12th December 2008, 16:57   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Thanks for the term clevermax. Googling for Cadence Braking actually gave me a lot of info required and in fact i also landed upon a site Welcome to Safe Speed where they have a whole list of braking techniques! Kudos to you mate!
Good to know that you got some info on breaking techniques..

Having said that, I am not against ABS. If I am to choose between ABS / non ABS version of a car, I would definitely go for the ABS version. But if your present car is not having ABS, it is always good to know about such breaking techniques.

If I don't wirte it here, someone here may think that I am trying to drive people away from buying ABS cars, and trying to sell manual breaking techniques to replace ABS functionality!
Old 12th December 2008, 18:11   #48
BHPian

ABS is definitely a BIG boon. However if one is restricted to driving only in the city & that too at peak traffic hours, (which I am sure a lot of us would be doing) and given the fact that the average speed is not more than 20 kmph, I believe ABS would not matter much. However having it will definitely not do any harm either but from the monetary point of view, its worth considering its requirement.
A question on ABS has been lurking in my mind since quite long - When ABS is offered as an option does it necessarily mean its ABS+EBD? EG. ABS available in the swift D also has EBD? If this is not the case, then how effective is/is not ABS in the absence of EBD.
Also can onbe buy EBD as an option? But I have not seen any manufacturer offer that?
Old 23rd February 2010, 14:53   #49
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Just got my new swift vxi with abs! I was wondering if there are any situations in particular where you need be carefull about a car with abs?

In normal driving, are there things you would usually do, that you should not do , if you have an abs car?

I hope this post is not off topic, since I recently had one of my posts deleted for being off topic.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Cheers!
Old 23rd February 2010, 19:29   #50
BHPian

1. ABS can't be replicated/emulated/made redundant by mortals
2. ABS reduces stopping distance during panic braking (when u are standing on the brakes literally)
3. They are an assist, there is no condition under which you need to alter your response in case you are driving a vehicle with ABS (@Pro-Idiot). So nothing special to take care if you have ABS
4. ABS and EBD are two different systems, EBD depends on ABS fundamentals but you might just have a vehicle with ABS alone. There are other advanced systems that use additional sensors for better traction as well as making the car go in the intended direction under hard acceleration and de-acceleration, varying road conditions and turning at high speed.
5. Get all the assists that you can have on your car, they make it easier and safer
Old 23rd February 2010, 19:37   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
I think you're right about this one. On wet or slippery surfaces, ABS will definitely reduce braking distances, but on dry pavements with maximum possible grip, ABS might not make any difference on some performance braking systems.
With ABS on dry pavement, ABS will still help as the brakes are more capable then the tyre on all vehicles. My point, all non-ABS cars (except Maruti 800 perhaps, so maybe I should say power assisted) can be made to lock tyres at high speeds (>60 kmph) on dry surface with the standard tyres. Second, with the shift in weight to the front during braking, its possible that the rear tyres lock up due to the reduced road-tyre grip. And if you are turning during this, you get a perfect combination for a 180 degree car spin (I actually saw one Zen do that under icy conditions in Shimla).
ABS will definitely add some help in these cases.
Old 23rd February 2010, 20:42   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Idiot View Post
... that you should not do , ...
1. Don't ever think that ABS is a safety shield
2. Don't ever think that ABS is a substitute/alternate to good driving
3. Don't ever think that ABS is another pair of eyes that will prevent you from making mistakes

ABS just keeps you in control of the vehicle (if you are really in control) in situations needing you to be in control of the direction of the car while braking hard. Nothing less, nothing more!
Old 23rd February 2010, 21:51   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Idiot View Post

In normal driving, are there things you would usually do, that you should not do , if you have an abs car?
Just drive normally as you would any other car. There is no difference in driving techniques in either car (with or without ABS).

Remember, if ever the ABS does kick in while braking, you will feel a rapid shuddering sensation on the brake pedal. It is normal. You may also hear a rapid knocking type sound. Again this is normal. Don't bother about it and keep applying braking force as you would in any car and concentrate on the road; ABS will help you brake while steering your car away from an obstacle.
Old 24th February 2010, 13:11   #54
BHPian

Dear Tejas,

Thank you sincerely, You cannot imagine how helpful knowing about behaviour of abs is to me. I am sure you just prevented an accident for me. Considering I was in a scary situation, I would have been even more terrified having the brake pedal shudder under my foot!

My being on TeamBhp has already paid off ( not that I had to pay to get in )

Cheers!
Old 24th February 2010, 14:51   #55
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Just a small input - one can "simulate" the action of ABS and avoid/reduce wheel locking + skids + aquaplaning to some extent, if one "pumps" the brakes a few times, while downshifting gears to increase engine braking effect at the same time before finally slamming the brakes on.

(It takes longer to state/type/write this than to actually apply it in practice.)

I know this technique has worked for us in the past on our old NON ABS vehicles - Jeeps and Ambys etc, in the hills, especially in the monsoons.

Most Viewed