Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2008, 12:00   #1

Aveo CNG/LPG Conversion

Hi all..
I would like to put a CNG or LPG kit in my Aveo 1.6 LT. Its a beautiful car inside out and I love to drive it but for 1 problem. The car gives a FE of only about 8 in city and that's a bit heavy on my pocket. What FE can I expect with the conversion on CNG/LPG, and which is a better option for Aveo. What is the approx cost of fitting these kits in Mumbai, and also whats the cost of LPG/ltr and CNG/kg. The car is still under warranty, so would that lapse after the retrofit. help me as I am not able to drive the car as much as I would like to with the current FE figures.
Happy Diwali to all.
Kush
Old 25th October 2008, 14:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Don't ever think of this if the car is still under warranty. If you want to forego warranty, then this would be ok option. But will Aveo support the LPG/CNG conversion has to be checked....I'amnot sure on this aspect. As Ford cars is not suited for LPG/CNG conversions.

If yes, then check up whether ARAI has approved retrofitting LPG/CNG kits to Aveo. If not then it may become problem if any cop catches you.

Not sure about the cost of LPG in mumbai, but in B'lore it will cost around Rs.37/ltr. Not sure about the availability of LPG/CNG. In Bangalore, I have see that usually, petrol bunks has very long queues for LPG and CNG filling.
Old 25th October 2008, 16:13   #3
BHPian

if the car is under warranty then you should wait for some time till the warranty gets over.you can ask the dealer if he can provide it but that would be dealer warranty.
the rate of cng kits depends on the installer,a govt approved installer would charge you 40k for cng kit,the rate here in delhi is Rs 19.20/,and it costs 1.2-1.5 rs/km after that.
i would not reccomend you should go for lpg,it will give you same running costs.
Old 25th October 2008, 16:18   #4

I checked with a couple of dealers in Bangalore. One of them said that for Aveo it would have to be a "Direct Injection" CNG kit, as the car has an MPFI engine and not a carburattor. Cost 42,000. 2 year warranty. He said engine warranty would lapse but the remaining car would still be covered. Another one said that a normal kit would do, cost 14,500 to 16,500, depending on Indian make or imported, but he too mentioned about one newly introduced "Sequential Kit", which would give better performance, cost 48,000. Any personal experiences anyone?? Guess will speak to my chevy dealer about the cars compatibility.

CNG not available in South India as of now, will probably take another 3-4 years according to the dealers.

About ARAI, where and how can I check with these guys?
Old 25th October 2008, 16:51   #5
BHPian

LPG IS EXPENSIVE... no doubt when compared to CNG. But still it will come out cheaper than petrol.

GM provides CNG kits for optra. You should check out whether they do it for aveo as well. It that is the case then no warranty issues as well.
Old 25th October 2008, 18:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanstalk_230 View Post
GM provides CNG kits for optra. You should check out whether they do it for aveo as well. It that is the case then no warranty issues as well.
He has to check with ARAI first to know what kit they would have recommended. I doubt whether ARAI has recommended any kits for this now as it is recently launched vehicle. Otherwise, the registration with RTO will not happen (for LPG/CNG).
Old 25th October 2008, 19:32   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Don't ever think of this if the car is still under warranty. If you want to forego warranty, then this would be ok option. But will Aveo support the LPG/CNG conversion has to be checked....I'amnot sure on this aspect. As Ford cars is not suited for LPG/CNG conversions.
uh... Aveo is by Chevrolet...

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th October 2008 at 16:47. Reason: 3 Smileys. Please read the Team-BHP rules before continuing.
Old 25th October 2008, 20:24   #8

Where can I check with the ARAI guys? I will check with the GM dealers about the kit. I hope they have a solution. I will be using the car in Bangalore for a while as well, so the CNG kit will not help me here as there is no CNG availability down south.

All that is ok, but the primary concern is whether such a retrofit is recommended by you people or not? I am a bit apprehensive about some mechanics messing with the engine block. What will be the maintainence issues with the kit. One of the delaers mentioned that fitting a kit could lead to backfiring, and could even damage the intake manifold, the piston heads or the bore itself. What is your advise on the issue. And any comments on those "Direct Injection/Sequential LPG kits".Do they really make a difference or is it just a money making thing? And which kit is recommended for my car.

Anyone out there who has a CNG/LPG fitted Aveo??
Old 25th October 2008, 22:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenik View Post
uh... Aveo is by Chevrolet...

He's said nothing wrong.
You don't have to be too happy about it.
Ford engines can't work with LPG and hence there's a chance that Aveo can't too.

PS: You've made three smileys in a single post.
Old 25th October 2008, 22:05   #10
Team-BHP Support

I think LPG does not make commercial sense any more, or does it ?

Kush: In the meanwhile, please go through this.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...mparision.html
Old 26th October 2008, 22:38   #11

Kush: In the meanwhile, please go through this.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...mparision.html[/quote]
I have done some reading on that thread. Got a few good tips from there. The first thing I'll do now is to check with GM service about the cars compatability. Still looking for someone who has had an Aveo converted.

By the way, about the argument put forward by the dealer about the engine being MPFI and requiring a direct injection kit, I beleive that other new cars are all MPFI, aren't they?? One dealer I called said he had converted a few aveo's, another one said he had converted his 2005 honda city. A friend of mine converted his brand new Swift Lxi into LPG, and similarly a heard of someone who converted his old sonata. All MPFI, isnt it? Somehow 40000+ seems quite a lot of money for LPG kit. (read my earlier reply). Advise.
Old 27th October 2008, 18:59   #12

Hi all,

Spoke to all three GM dealer service centres in Mumbai today, namely Ashtvinayak, National Garage and Bharati, about the LPG Conversion. None of them did it at their facility and none actually advised going in for the conversion. One service advisor said that the LPG kits have not been a success on GM cars, as they got heavy engines with dual manifolds (DOHC types), and hence not suited for LPG kits. Maruti cars apparently work with LPG because of there engine designes. He went on to say that a few cars were actually converted to LPG, but they were reporting a lot of problems with the car, like starting in 2-3 cranks, increased engine vibrations, big loss of power, and coming back for repeat jobs time and again.

On going through the CNG v/s LPG thread, I came across a post by wolfinstein talking about Shrimanker Bedini as they were the OEM for GM cars. One GM service I called in today referred me to them as well, and on calling them they said I should go in for CNG kits, as they would give me a much better mileage, almost 60-70% more than what I get on petrol. He spoke about Bedini Italian Kit, cost 51000, 1 year warranty. He said he had converted a few Aveo for some taxi operator and they were wporking fine. But for me CNG is ruled out now as I plan to use the car for a while in Bangalore, and there is no CNG availability there.

On working out the economics of a LPG kit as compared to the FE I would get it dosnt seem to be that great an option now. My car returns about 8km/ltr on petrol, so I figure out a FE of about 6.4km/ltr on LPG (20% less than petrol). I figured out that LPG would result in a per/km cost of approx Rs. 5.78 (considering a FE of 6.4 against LPG/ltr at Rs. 37) as against Rs. 7.1 (8km FE and Rs. 57/ltr of petrol). That works out to just Rs. 1.3/km saving thats dosnt seem to justify the installation cost and all those drawbacks like loss of warranty, power, vibrations, frequent visits to service centre etc. I hope I got my economics right.

I welcome any criticism and arguements. Any comments, experiences, anybody?
Old 27th October 2008, 19:03   #13

Oh yes, by the way the GM dealers told me they stopped the Optra CNG version as it wasnt doing too well.
Old 27th October 2008, 20:00   #14
BHPian

for how much time will you stay/use your car in banglore?
Old 27th October 2008, 20:06   #15

Quite a while. But even If I stayed back in Mumbai, hearing about troubled owners from GM Service people is a big demotivation. Am taking my car for its service tomorrow morning, will talk to them again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks