Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2008, 15:15   #1
BHPian

Idling issues in my Fiat Palio

Hi,

I need help Urgently. Yesterday I had been for a drive to Nagao near Alibaug in my GTX. While returning back my car refused to remain on "IDLE". The engine just started dying out on idle. Driving on clear roads was no problem but the engine either died out or kept on with a heavy judder on idle. Also I had to press the accelerator hard to pick the car on first gear. I am confused, is it the Fuel Pump or the Injector.
I just pray its not a blown up injector.
Experts please Help!!!!
Note: The car was serviced just a week before. Petrol filter, sparks plugs changed, Oil Change done.
Old 27th October 2008, 17:46   #2

Cleanup the throttle and check the idle sensor and the air filter this would solve the issue.
Old 27th October 2008, 19:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

First thing is to check if it repeats itself. Then try cleaning the throttle body and then changing the lambda sensor. Either of these should be rules out before you move into checking the fuel pump and injectors.

The 1.6 FIAT is quite famous for irregular idles due to throttle body and lambda/oxygen sensor issues.
Old 27th October 2008, 21:18   #4
BHPian

check the idle screw on the throttle body
Old 27th October 2008, 21:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

u need a throttle body cleaning. also check the vacuum pipe whether it is fitted correctly.
Old 28th October 2008, 13:41   #6
BHPian

Update

Thanks Guys,

I was not able to visit my mechanic personally but my brother took the car to him. He said one of the cylinders is "Missing Out". He doubts injector clog. He is not ready to touch the engine today. He will only look into it on Friday. (Removing Palio's injectors is a tideous task?)
I am just praying its not a blown up injector. BTW Palio's Injectors cost 3500/piece and above in the market? True?
Old 28th October 2008, 21:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radnam View Post
Thanks Guys,

I was not able to visit my mechanic personally but my brother took the car to him. He said one of the cylinders is "Missing Out". He doubts injector clog. He is not ready to touch the engine today. He will only look into it on Friday. (Removing Palio's injectors is a tideous task?)
I am just praying its not a blown up injector. BTW Palio's Injectors cost 3500/piece and above in the market? True?
I think you can check for a missing injector by removing your spark plugs one by one. If there is no change in engine behaviour when any one of the injector is removed, thats the injector that is malfunctioning.
Old 29th October 2008, 15:58   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
I think you can check for a missing injector by removing your spark plugs one by one. If there is no change in engine behaviour when any one of the injector is removed, thats the injector that is malfunctioning.
Thanks! Gemi. I will have to wait till friday for my mechanic to check it. Any idea about how much the injectors cost? Does 1.2 and the 1.6 share the same type of injectors?
Old 4th November 2008, 16:28   #9
BHPian

No Progress yet

Hi All,

Latest Update! I am still waiting. Mechanic didnt turn out on Friday. His Buddy tried some things as instructed to him over the phone. I was personally present there. Things we tried on Friday.

1. One of the plug wires was failing to pass current. Changed the Plug wires (Rs 1250).
2. Checked and cleaned all the injectors.
3. Found the Fuel injection tube had cracked from inside and was leaking. Changed, finding this one was a tiring task. (Rs 2300!)
4. Checked ignition coil. Was working fine.

Result, the judder is still there!. Infact the car is now completely dying out on idling.
Spoke to my mech over the phone as he was out of town. Said he will check ECU and the "Vaccum Pipe".
I am just finding myself helpless as I am not in town.
Old 5th November 2008, 15:14   #10
BHPian

Update

I spoke to my mechanic over the phone today. He said some Idler Gear/ Valve in the Throttle Body is malfunctioning. I dont know what that means. Said he will try and borrow a throttle body from another 1.6 and check to confirm.
He said if the above mentioned part is the culprit, the whole throttle body needs to be changed. I dont know when and where this is going to end.
Can some body help with the throttle body prices?
Can I get a second hand/ repaired throttle body?
Old 5th November 2008, 16:58   #11
BHPian

Quote:
I spoke to my mechanic over the phone today. He said some Idler Gear/ Valve in the Throttle Body is malfunctioning. I dont know what that means. Said he will try and borrow a throttle body from another 1.6 and check to confirm.
He said if the above mentioned part is the culprit, the whole throttle body needs to be changed. I dont know when and where this is going to end.
Can some body help with the throttle body prices?
Can I get a second hand/ repaired throttle body?

Hi

The "Idler Gear/Valve" which your mechanic told is actually IAC ( Idle Air Control Valve). The valve only starts operating when the throttle body is closed for the air to pass through.

Honeslty i don't have this car, but it is certainly no advisible to replace it will second throttle body.

thanks

Amit
Old 6th November 2008, 16:54   #12
BHPian

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Hi

The "Idler Gear/Valve" which your mechanic told is actually IAC ( Idle Air Control Valve). The valve only starts operating when the throttle body is closed for the air to pass through.

Honeslty i don't have this car, but it is certainly no advisible to replace it will second throttle body.

thanks

Amit

Hi Amit,

Thats what he said, "IAC"! You mean to say the whole throttle body needs a replacement if the Valve goes kaput?
Throttle body cost, any idea?

Mandar
Old 6th November 2008, 17:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

@rednam - please check out these threads:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ight=Palio+RPM

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ight=Palio+RPM
Old 6th November 2008, 17:44   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Amit,

Thats what he said, "IAC"! You mean to say the whole throttle body needs a replacement if the Valve goes kaput?
Throttle body cost, any idea?

Mandar

Hi Radnam

I am not sure, but in alot many cars this is separately attached. Perhaps Palio owners can comment better.

thanks

Last edited by amitpunjani : 6th November 2008 at 17:45.
Old 6th November 2008, 18:01   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
Thanks Planet Rocker!
The second thread is very helpfull and almost similar to problems I am facing.
Thanks again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks