Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2008, 17:35   #1

Clutch Plate Problem Safari VTT 2.2L

Friends,

Every time I go up the hills, my truck (Safari VTT 2.2L) starts giving problem. After going for some distance (20-30 km) on hilly area, it starts emitting fumes. Burning smell starts coming from the clutch plate. I have traveled around 10K on plains but have never encountered such problem. It is only on the hilly terrain that the truck gives problem.

This time around things got worse as apart from smoke and smell, the 1st and 2nd gear jammed and it was almost impossible to maneuver the truck.

Can anyone please suggest, whether this is a common and known problem with Safari and also am I entitled for warranty cover if something goes wrong the clutch plate (Dec 07 purchased).
Thanks!!!
Old 29th October 2008, 18:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

This thread could be useful. Try posting this query there.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ns-thread.html
Old 29th October 2008, 18:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

How many times has it happened and have you got your clutch/pressure plates changed.

I can only think of Clutch riding here.Has it been something wrong with Clutch assembly it would have surfaced on plains too.

Ever felt sudden loss of momentum while driving in plains ?

My advice is to get the Clutch assembly changed and from now onwards try not to ride clutch,as safari being a vehicle with lot of low end torque,even without you touching the clutch it will move pretty well.
Old 29th October 2008, 20:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

You're riding the clutch too much.
Old 29th October 2008, 20:54   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
How many times has it happened and have you got your clutch/pressure plates changed.

I can only think of Clutch riding here.Has it been something wrong with Clutch assembly it would have surfaced on plains too.

Ever felt sudden loss of momentum while driving in plains ?

My advice is to get the Clutch assembly changed and from now onwards try not to ride clutch,as safari being a vehicle with lot of low end torque,even without you touching the clutch it will move pretty well.
I have faced this problem every time I had been to Hills i.e., three occasions in last one year. If the problem had been of clutch riding, the problem would have been persistent, even on plains and would had arisen much earlier. In last one year I have driven more than 12Km.

Yes I felt sudden loss of momentum sometimes, but that was only on hills and that too in upward drive. But this could be due to change in altitude.

Anyway, I am going to TASS to get the clutch assembly changed, I hope this would be covered in warranty.
Old 29th October 2008, 21:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
You're riding the clutch too much.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have been driving LMVs for almost 15 years and drove almost every car, see my signature. But I have never faced such problem with any other car.

Again why this problem is not occurring in plains, driven 12K by this car only in the last 10 months.
Old 30th October 2008, 11:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick_atam View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I have been driving LMVs for almost 15 years and drove almost every car, see my signature. But I have never faced such problem with any other car.
Driving Safari is totally different from all other vehicles in your signature.

Take my word for it.
Old 30th October 2008, 17:21   #8
BHPian

Have any steep inclines necessiated clutch-slipping? SUVS & MUVs generally come with a heavy-duty clutch to handle all that torque & weight. Either ways, I do suggest that you report this problem to Tata. Knowing how they work, a fix could already be on offer.
Old 2nd November 2008, 17:39   #9

Friends,

Thanks to your suggestions. Got the clutch issue resolved this weekend. TASS team has served the complete issue under warranty, thanks to Raj from Sterling Motors, Noida.
Old 3rd November 2008, 00:30   #10
BHPian

Maverick, for the benefit of others, can you please share some more details? What exactly was done? Any upgraded components?
Old 4th November 2008, 15:18   #11

Sure GTO,
TASS has replaced following items:
1. Clutch Disc
2. Pressure Disc
3. Clutch bearing
4. Clutch Assembly Cover.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks