Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2008, 11:07   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Just lean over, adjust, check and adjust again! I am unfortunately blessed with an over-enthusiastic car-wash man who moves the mirror around when cleaning it so have to adjust almost daily!
Old 14th December 2008, 20:59   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I have never driven a car with electric mirror adjustment except for short term. Although it is a nice gadget, it is fairly pointless for the only-driver: once you set your mirrors they stay that way. The electric adjustment does not compensate for the idiot who has just pushed you mirror housing forward or back, you still have to reach over for that.
The mirror adjutment does get disturbed every morning when the car wash guy washes and wipes down the mirrors. So the electric mirror controls are definitely good to have. Specially important in wide cars like the Innova, Safari, Scorpio. In my Indica, I could lean across from the drivers seat and adjust but in these larger vehicles that would be difficult I imagine.
Old 14th December 2008, 21:32   #93
Senior - BHPian

In fact it was difficult even my earlier car (OHC 1.3) because of its width but at that time I was not used to Left ORVM.

Only after getting Civic which unfolds the OVRM also, leave aside just the adjustment. I am spoiled.
Old 14th December 2008, 23:41   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

One guy gets his car washed every morning, and another has an all-singing all-dancing ORVM!

How the other half live!
Old 15th December 2008, 02:11   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry2223 View Post
i will watch it tommorow morning on cold start. there is no deposit on exhaust tip.

can this happen that the water droplets at the exhaust tip may have entered the pipe while the car was on slope and it resulted in smoke the smoke was similar to that similar to m800 which i get when the car is cold
We can not tell you over the web. We are just taking educated guesses at best. My guess is that if you have a lot of smoke, no, its not water vapor. Suggest you keep your eye on the coolant level, oil level and gages for awhile. And your nose. Good luck!
Old 15th December 2008, 02:36   #96
Senior - BHPian

Any updates here harry?
Old 15th December 2008, 08:09   #97
BANNED

i am watching my car for two three days i can see the smoke on cold start after the smoke dissappears . the smoke is white and without any smell.
Old 15th December 2008, 09:10   #98
BHPian

Quote:
i am watching my car for two three days i can see the smoke on cold start after the smoke dissappears . the smoke is white and without any smell.
Is it dense ? I mean is it just fumes from the exhaust or is it like in huge quantity.

Last edited by Shashank.A : 15th December 2008 at 09:25.
Old 15th December 2008, 12:37   #99
BHPian

Quote:
hi friends
i have a strange query in my about left orvm . how the driver adjusts the left orvm if the car doesn't have electric mirrors . i am asking this because i never got any chance to adjust it as i previously had m800 which didn't had left orvm and now i own ohc which has electric mirrors .
In your case, I would suggest you leave the Left OVRM closed

Reason: you are not used to one. and the probability of having that broken in several unique ways are high.

Otherwise, you have it (manual left OVRM) adjusted when you get your car washed (every morning afcourse) and as suggested please remember to have the handbrakes engaged when doing this. Ofcourse, you have electic OVRMs, you wouldnt have to bother.
Old 15th December 2008, 13:53   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Closed mirrors, to me, are a warning of dangerous drivers!

Yes, I know many of the BHP-team preach and practice a look over the shoulder before lane changing, and ORVMs do not entirely remove the need for than anyway, there is still a blind spot, but I do believe that regular use of all RVMs is a part of good driving (Thad's Dad used to say: I want you to be able to tell me what's behind you anytime I ask; you should not need to look first, because you should e looking regularly)

The Left ORVM is particularly good for saving two-wheelers who do not know what that flashing light on the side of the car means.

So my message is, don't not use it because you are not used to it: get used to it!
Old 15th December 2008, 16:08   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Closed mirrors, to me, are a warning of dangerous drivers!

Yes, I know many of the BHP-team preach and practice a look over the shoulder before lane changing, and ORVMs do not entirely remove the need for than anyway, there is still a blind spot, but I do believe that regular use of all RVMs is a part of good driving (Thad's Dad used to say: I want you to be able to tell me what's behind you anytime I ask; you should not need to look first, because you should e looking regularly)

The Left ORVM is particularly good for saving two-wheelers who do not know what that flashing light on the side of the car means.

So my message is, don't not use it because you are not used to it: get used to it!
Totally agree. Keeping an ORVM closed because it might break is unwise. It is there for a good reason. Use it!
Old 15th December 2008, 16:25   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hi friends
i have a strange query in my about left orvm . how the driver adjusts the left orvm if the car doesn't have electric mirrors . i am asking this because i never got any chance to adjust it as i previously had m800 which didn't had left orvm and now i own ohc which has electric mirrors .
In small cars, you can bend a little and adjust yourself.

If its a bigger car though, you need to get married.
Old 15th December 2008, 18:03   #103
BHPian

ORVM are better used while overtaking, lane changing, reversing etc usually it helps to keep all-round visibility, this gives an approximately 3600 view but some very smart drivers (They don’t care for cars in their left or right) don’t use it.
Old 15th December 2008, 18:27   #104
BHPian

Similar problem with my carb esteem. loads of white smoke and it drinks oil like buttoms up (Increased after engine flush and oil change). need to add a litre after evry 500 kms.No loss of mileage or pickup by any chance even the collant level never goes down.
Runing MSD blaster ss 8207 , 8.5mm Super cond cables, bosch plugs.
Are the piston rings due for replacement ? If yes how much will it cost including the labour, and how many kms of low revving after the rebuilt.
Attaching a video for example which shows the white smoke after running from mumbai to pune at moderate speed.
Old 15th December 2008, 20:17   #105
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogisays0909 View Post
Similar problem with my carb esteem. loads of white smoke and it drinks oil like buttoms up (Increased after engine flush and oil change). need to add a litre after evry 500 kms.No loss of mileage or pickup by any chance even the collant level never goes down.
Runing MSD blaster ss 8207 , 8.5mm Super cond cables, bosch plugs.
Are the piston rings due for replacement ? If yes how much will it cost including the labour, and how many kms of low revving after the rebuilt.
Attaching a video for example which shows the white smoke after running from mumbai to pune at moderate speed.
YouTube - Yogesh's Esteem exhaust
my cars smoke is totally different from it as it is lighter and goes upwards like steam and dissappears after few seconds

Most Viewed