Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2008, 09:28   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Most likely culprit for this could have been water in the instrument cluster. Now that it has dried up the problem has been solved.
I always keep my car in the underground parking. But on last Saturday, when I went to office, I kept my car outside. It was there from morning 8:30Am to 11:00PM. From then onwards I found all my electrical issues resolved.

I always dbouted the MASS guys reasoning about the issue. They kept telling me that the BCM is gone and it will cost 7K + 300rs labour to replace. Its not covered under extended warranty as my car is now on to the 3rd year. Since I was not satisfied with thier findings, I didn't go for an immediate change.
Old 3rd September 2011, 02:53   #17
BHPian

re: Swift Instrument Panel Malfunction - BCM Issue

Did not want to start a new thread, but my 4 year old swift zxi, had a windshield crack recently and water trickled in from the drivers side, owing to the fantastic monsoon of mumbai. The first victim of the water was the nippon security system. Got that replaced from the authorized nippon for maruti, got a new windshield from windshield experts and then suddenly one fine day, my horn coughs and conks off.

Went to spectra motors chembur and they said its a BCM fault as they tried replacing the horn with a ne one and it wouldnt work. They just simply told me that its the BCM thats creating this problem. When i asked them what is BCM the said its the module that controls all electrical functions like power windows, lights etc. They quoted 6.5K for the module plus labour.

I wasnt sure about going ahead with this so took the car from them. as only my horn is not working and there are no check lights or malfunctions in anything else.

Could they be diagnosing the car with a BCM fault unnecessarily?
How can i ensure that it is really the BCM affecting the horn and not something else?
Is there a way to get another horn installed with a direct relay from the battery, cause that will still be cheaper than getting the whole BCM unit as i see no other faults in the car.

Someone please advice.
Old 4th September 2011, 00:37   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcool View Post
one fine day, my horn coughs and conks off.

only my horn is not working and there are no check lights or malfunctions in anything else.

Is there a way to get another horn installed with a direct relay from the battery, cause that will still be cheaper than getting the whole BCM unit as i see no other faults in the car.
As far as I know your Swift variant comes with a pair of horns ; have both the lo tone and hi tone stopped working?

Normally the stock horns are bad and the hi tone packs up in 2 years ; go to a good Auto electrician and have it checked.

Check fuses and rectify.

Check continuity in circuit from horn relay to horn , if OK,then your horn is the problem
Old 4th September 2011, 11:51   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
As far as I know your Swift variant comes with a pair of horns ; have both the lo tone and hi tone stopped working?

Normally the stock horns are bad and the hi tone packs up in 2 years ; go to a good Auto electrician and have it checked.

Check fuses and rectify.

Check continuity in circuit from horn relay to horn , if OK,then your horn is the problem
There is only a single horn in my swift, no lo tone and hi tone, I have a 2007 zxiand it has only one horn next to the LHS fog lamp. Was it supposed to have two horns?!

Also had checked before i had taken it to maruti, the fuses were ok, tried replacing the horn also, but it just wouldn't work. This is when they told me to get it checked at Maruti A.S.S. and they told me about the BCM.

Frankly my heart does not agree, cause if it was the BCM, how come only the horn gets affected and nothing else?!

Also even if its the BCM, and only the horn has malfunctioned, then can i get another horn installed witout causing any problems in the car, and what would be the right method to do that?!
Old 4th September 2011, 14:47   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcool View Post

Frankly my heart does not agree, cause if it was the BCM, how come only the horn gets affected and nothing else?!
I agree with your logic.

As far as I know,this variant comes with a lo tone and a hi tone horn.

If you're ok,can I suggest a way by which you can yourself check the horn?

Remove the two wire clips on the horn ; run a wire direct from battery +ve to one lead of the horn ; and another wire from battery -ve to the other lead-the horn should blow ; if it does not blow, the horn is defective.

For a single lo power horn you don't need a relay .

any good electrician can do the job,just tell him the horn is not blowing;nothing more.
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 00:29   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
I agree with your logic.

As far as I know,this variant comes with a lo tone and a hi tone horn.

If you're ok,can I suggest a way by which you can yourself check the horn?

Remove the two wire clips on the horn ; run a wire direct from battery +ve to one lead of the horn ; and another wire from battery -ve to the other lead-the horn should blow ; if it does not blow, the horn is defective.

For a single lo power horn you don't need a relay .

any good electrician can do the job,just tell him the horn is not blowing;nothing more.
Thanks, thats a simple and nice idea, it just did not strike me! Let me try this and update, or rather let me just find a good auto electrician and make him do all of this. Hopefully I shall have this fixed soon.
Old 8th September 2011, 20:28   #22
BHPian

Here is an update, went to a good electrician, after checking the horn on direct cable we found out that the horn was conked off. Got a new horn which would work directly but not by pressing the horn from the car. Next he checked for the fuse which was fine, next he checked for the relay and boom, the relay was blown. Replaced the relay and the horn was back on. Damn maruti A.S.S. they in total kept the car for 3 days and could not figure this out?! and started blaming the BCM directly. Looks like a scam to fleece people.

Quote from Maruti A.S.S - Rs 6500 + Labour
Total cost incurred - Rs 664/-
New Dual tone horn - Rs 350
Horn Clips - Rs 4
Relay - Rs 110
Labour - Rs 200

Peace of mind while driving without having to slow down till the idiotic pedestrian walking in the middle of the road realizes theres a car behind him. Priceless!!!
ibcool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 12:23   #23
Senior - BHPian

Suzuki Swift 1.3L: BCM failure

Hi,

My 2006 1.3L Petrol Swift has come up with a weird issue. Over the past few months [could be a year or so as well], i noticed that whenever i bang the front end [unseen speedbreakers, potholes, stones and what not], my car's indicators stop working, and i just hear the indicator sound in fast forward mode.

MASS personnel commented the relay had come lose so that's why it does not work and the sound is because of the contact being broken.

So it kept happening again and again rather occasionally making driving such a pain. This is my primary car.

Now last week, it happened again and i gave the car to Indus at Kochi who said the relay could be at fault and ordered a replacement making me come back after a few hours.

Relay comes in and i am waiting to leave back to Trivandrum and he says sorry sir the module where the relay is to be connected in the BCM is broken off and that i will have to change the BCM!

How in the world does that happen?

Now am waiting for the BCM to come in and its been a week already :(
Old 25th August 2015, 11:55   #24
BHPian

Body Control Module issues - Fiat Linea

I own a 2011 Fiat Linea 1.4. The car has hardly done 24,000 Kms, well maintained and always serviced at Fiat A.S.S. Recently the fog lamps on it stopped working. On taking the car to the Fiat authorized service center, he told me the entire BCM (Body control Module) has to be replaced and that it would cost me Rs.18,000/-. On looking in the internet, I found in different forums, lots of people had reported issues with the Fiat Linea BCM. Hence I am writing this thread to try to understand more about this issue.

My question is how can Fiat ask the customers pay for an issue which appears to be an engineering failure. BCM is a very critical component of every vehicle and should not fail at such early mileage.

Have other car owners experienced issues with the BCM on their cars? If so please share your details below.
Old 25th August 2015, 22:00   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhilesh Rai View Post
I own a 2011 Fiat Linea 1.4. The car has hardly done 24,000 Kms, well maintained and always serviced at Fiat A.S.S. Recently the fog lamps on it stopped working. On taking the car to the Fiat authorized service center, he told me the entire BCM (Body control Module) has to be replaced and that it would cost me Rs.18,000/-. On looking in the internet, I found in different forums, lots of people had reported issues with the Fiat Linea BCM.
Hey look at the below part but mine is a Swift ZDi though.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3783662

Can we know the reason regarding why the fog lamps have stopped working?

Is it an electrical short or a blown fuse. Have you checked out the fuse pertaining to fog lamps.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 11:23   #26
Senior - BHPian

Re: Swift Instrument Panel Malfunction - BCM Issue

Reviving an old thread.

I have a 2008 Swift Diesel and has run 1 lakh 88 thousand kilometers.

Since a few weeks a strange thing is happening. The Check engine light one day suddenly popped up and after I shut the car down and restarted, it never came back in.

I went to the service station and it threw up a BCM module code in the SDT in history. I am wondering how? My car has no ABS, no EBD, nothing.

So then the error code was erased and for a couple of days, the spanner light went off before starting, never came back on and everything seemed good.

Now again, the spanner light came back yesterday and stayed on until I restarted the car after which it never came back when the car was running.

Can anyone let me know what could this be?
Old 21st January 2022, 14:52   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post

Now again, the spanner light came back yesterday and stayed on until I restarted the car after which it never came back when the car was running.

Can anyone let me know what could this be?
Did you go to Maruti and have their SDT plugged in again and see what code popped up for the light ?
Old 22nd January 2022, 19:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtoncastelino View Post
Did you go to Maruti and have their SDT plugged in again and see what code popped up for the light ?
Yes, so turns out my glow plug controller was malfunctioning and we replaced that. Also, since we were at the topic of glow plugs, I asked them to open all of them and check. I have a habit of opening the glow plugs at least once a year in my car as the DDIS is notorious for the glow plugs getting jammed inside and then while opening if it breaks, the entire head will have to be opened and what not. I get them opened, wd40 sprayed and then put back.

One of the glow plugs looked like it was in its last legs, that was replaced too.

The light never came back after then, I have covered almost 2000 km after that.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks