Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2008, 17:11   #1
BHPian

Is Hyundai ripping off my friend for no reason?

Hi All,

My friend has a Hyundai Accent Dec'99 Model.

Last friday he told me to check his car as he thght there is a weak bettery. Hyundai Service had told him to replace his battery as it was old and will die anytime soon.When I opened the bonnet and checked , I agreed that the batt needs changing.

Also, when the car was started, the fuel leaked from the hose connecting the engine. They charged 2350/- in total for the replacement and labour.

1700/- for the new hose and 400/- visitng charge and 250/- labour charges

Later he said they also told him some of the parts that needs to be changed.

1. Front both struts - 4000/-
2. Front RH wheel bearing - 2000/-
3. Rear LH wheel bearing - 4200/-
4. Lower arm RH - 3000/-
5. Drive Shaft boot - 1200/-
6. LH drive shaft - ?? No Proce yet
7. Lower ball joint - 700/-

When I drive the car, I didnt feel like there was any prob with any of the mentioned above. Car's running good. Batt has been replaced.

There are vibrations within the cabin, that is because it's an old car that's all. Could you experts throw some light on this ?

It runs smoothly. No sounds when going over speed breakers or potholes. Good pickup.
Old 3rd November 2008, 17:21   #2
BHPian

better show him to other dealer. He can try trident kalyan nagar. I felt they are the best or try Jaksandra Trident.
Old 3rd November 2008, 17:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Charges look reasonable(at least few of them known to me and/or discussed on forum).

Service advisor might have suggested at replacement of parts mainly due to age and odometer reading of the vehicle. It's entirely upto you/your friend to accept/disagree with that person's opinion.

These days very few service people pay much attention or spend additional time in checking health of the vehicle. It works out better for them to replace parts (get their money) in the hope that it will also benefit the customer. Customer may/mayn't really benefit from replacement of parts but that's what service advisors are made/trained to work.
Old 3rd November 2008, 18:57   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Charges look reasonable(at least few of them known to me and/or discussed on forum).

Service advisor might have suggested at replacement of parts mainly due to age and odometer reading of the vehicle. It's entirely upto you/your friend to accept/disagree with that person's opinion.

These days very few service people pay much attention or spend additional time in checking health of the vehicle. It works out better for them to replace parts (get their money) in the hope that it will also benefit the customer. Customer may/mayn't really benefit from replacement of parts but that's what service advisors are made/trained to work.
I agree with what he says.

Another thing that you can do is that you can go to your regular (good) mechanic and get the parts that need replacing checked out and also take a quote from him. Then you can make up your mind.
Old 3rd November 2008, 23:02   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder_s1 View Post
When I drive the car, I didnt feel like there was any prob with any of the mentioned above. ...It runs smoothly. No sounds when going over speed breakers or potholes. Good pickup.
Spend 12-15K on this car? Simple logic says - If it isn't broke don't fix it - these service advisors have targets to achieve and that is clearly the motive above everything else.

Yes - a second opinion is a good idea as suggested by others too. But do not approach the second dealer/mechanic by saying that some has told so many replacements - then you will get very convincingly cheated.
Old 3rd November 2008, 23:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Visit some other dealer or reputed mechanic.
What happens is that the service advisors just to sell or make money scare the customer to half death and tell them the consequence of not replacing a specific part will lead to this, etc, etc.
If the suspension parts need replacing, the first thing is that the ride quality will deteriorate and also some uneven tyre can also occur. If the ride quality is fine there is no need for the list of components the service advisor is asking you to replace.
A drive can confirm if there is something wrong or not. Here if you have driven the car and dont find anything wrong, then again ask you frined ( owner of the car ) to drive it and if he says that there is no major change in the car's behaviour, ride quality, etc, then there is no change required.

But surely go for second opinion just to be safe.
Old 4th November 2008, 14:58   #7
BHPian

I would agree to sukiwa considering the age of the vehicle. Its a fact that some of the components needs to be replaced for old vehicle. All components have its lifetime. All the components are build to exceed their lifetime period, but some don't. Its better to identify and replace all those components. For eg:- An accident could happen if the suspension fails while the car is running.

I would always want my ride to safe for myself, my family and for other drivers.
Old 4th November 2008, 17:03   #8
BHPian

Sorry, OT, and each one may have their individual experiences.

well, i have had my share of extreme bad taste with Trident Kalyan Nagar.

My issue was escalated to the Service Manager, their GM at Sadashivnagar, and HMIL Chennai.

So, no good words about that branch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
better show him to other dealer. He can try trident kalyan nagar. I felt they are the best or try Jaksandra Trident.

Last edited by MuraliR : 4th November 2008 at 17:07.
Old 4th November 2008, 17:31   #9
BHPian

@ inder: As most of them have mentioned prior, it would not hurt to get a second opinion, a third opinion is ok too. Do drive the car to a couple of other A.S.S. and to some reputed mechanics to get an opinion. The fact that the car is around a decade old does not help too much in our favour. Inspite of us not knowing how much this car had run, most of us would agree that bearings and other parts are wear out parts and do require a change over intervals.

Its better though he finds out from a trusted person which are the parts taht are genuinely worn out and needs replacement.
Old 4th November 2008, 18:11   #10
BHPian

Nope, he is not ripping off your friend; merely making recommendations. It is entirely upto your friend to opt in or not. Near all authorised service advisors carry the pressure of targets and will suggest additional work, even if the car is working completely fine. For instance, Linkway Honda wanted to replace me Vtec clutch @ 60,000 kms . And the Auto Hangar service advisor wanted to change my C220s engine mounts and overhaul the suspension at about 40,000 kms

At the end of the day, what matters is your knowledge level. Considering that a car is the second-largest point of outflow for 99% of Indian families (after the house) you'd better brush up on automotive basics. Where else but on Team-BHP!
Old 5th November 2008, 14:59   #11
BHPian

Thank you all for your thoughts.

I have come to the following conclusion from all your inputs:

1. My friend needs to understand his car better

2. All service guys try to meet their targets and thus suggest replacing parts when car is fine < this can be avoided or can be understood as true/false if the 1st point is mastered>

3. T-Bhpians are always there for suggestions be in your car, your friends car, your relatives car etc...

4. Hyundai cannot never win against Maruti/Tata as the service costs/parts costs are way high

Cheers

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th November 2008 at 15:51. Reason: Smiliey usage is restricted to two per post
Old 5th November 2008, 15:02   #12
BHPian

You seem to have gone overboard with the smilies . Better edit the post before you invite infraction. only 2 smilies per post allowed.

Most Viewed