Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2008, 14:26   #1
BHPian

AC Blower vents clogged.

Hi guys.

My AC blower vents on my Ikon are clogged.
Or rather, the central one is, the side ones are fine. The airflow thats coming out the central vent is very restricted.
As a result, the cold air is coming out from the windscreen vents where the dashboard meets the windscreen and causing the windscreen to fog up everytime I put the AC on. Also, there's a whistling noise because of the constricted airflow.

So, my question is....

1. How easy is the procedure to get the vents unclogged?
2. Any idea of the cost?
3. What's the procedure? Will they need to remove the dashboard to do this?

Thanks, guys.
Old 4th November 2008, 14:46   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

It may be a problem with the direction control knob. I had once changed my blower direction to the foot and then it refused to come back to the regular mode. The knob had to be replaced.

I'm sure this is the problem and you may have once directed the airflow to the windshield. In this mode, air also comes out of the side vents which is directed to the side glasses. Now after switching the direction flow back, the knob as malfunctioned.

Knob may move, but the internal connection is lost. Try to use other direction modes to check if the knob is working fine and air is directed elsewhere to the foot, etc.

Its not easy to clog an air vent. However, you will have to open up the dashboard to clean it if that's the case. Should cost you around 750 bucks IMO.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 4th November 2008 at 14:48.
Old 4th November 2008, 15:09   #3
Team-BHP Support

The clogging usually happens in the fins from which the blower sucks in air(where the cooling coils are).
The cleaning procedure is labor intensive, and requires removal of dashboard. Some shops remove the assembly and do cleaning, so you have to pay for gas recharge after that, however I got it done from a mechanic who did the cleaning without removing the coils.
He used an old conti fuel pump as the pressure hose spayer for chemical solution, and did a very good job
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...tml#post908016 (AC fuse blowing after some time)
Old 4th November 2008, 17:47   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

@ghostrider,

let us know what the actual diagnosis of the problem was, how it was solved and how much did it cost.
Old 4th November 2008, 20:58   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
It may be a problem with the direction control knob.
I'm sure this is the problem and you may have once directed the airflow to the windshield.
Its not easy to clog an air vent. However, you will have to open up the dashboard to clean it if that's the case. Should cost you around 750 bucks IMO.
Hey Tejas. The direction control knob was the first thing I checked. It works fine... it's able to channel air to the footwells and the front windscreen just fine. But... when the knob is set to point forward, there is some leakage through the windscreen vents... but I've noticed this in a lot of cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The clogging usually happens in the fins from which the blower sucks in air(where the cooling coils are).
The cleaning procedure is labor intensive, and requires removal of dashboard. Some shops remove the assembly and do cleaning, so you have to pay for gas recharge after that, however I got it done from a mechanic who did the cleaning without removing the coils.
He used an old conti fuel pump as the pressure hose spayer for chemical solution, and did a very good job
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...tml#post908016 (AC fuse blowing after some time)
Thanks, tsk. I think I need to take her down to the garage and have it checked out.

Most Viewed