Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2009, 22:45   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
Yes I put cross drilled rotors but the callipers were left stock Nissin. You can get carbon fiber Corolla Altis pad from any of the mail orders doing TRD parts. Bear in mind, Carbon fiber needs getting used to in traffic, they heat late and loose heat quick, response times initially will scare the hell out of you, they don't do anything at first and then they grip and when they do, its almost instant lock ups.
Thanks for this Gurkha.

Rgds,

R2D2
Old 1st February 2009, 00:37   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I also had a screechy brake pad on my Corolla AT at around 18K, and got them replaced. The noise started low at 15-16K. Thankfully, the replacement has now run for 18K without a hint of a noise. Cost me Rs. 5600 for all brake pads.
Vasudeva, I see your car is an automatic. Brake pad wear is higher on autos than in MTs. Lack of engine braking being one of the main reasons.

Rgds,
Old 1st February 2009, 19:56   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Vasudeva, I see your car is an automatic. Brake pad wear is higher on autos than in MTs. Lack of engine braking being one of the main reasons.

Rgds,
In the first year of the car's life, it was being driven on Delhi-Gurgaon pre expressway days, where there was a lot of stop and go involved. That and perhaps some other reasons caused the brake pads to start making noises at 16K, and getting replaced at 19-20K. After that, so far 17K done, and still no noise. One possible reason is a lot less braking (after Feb 08 when the expressway was opened). Anyway, I think Corolla AT requires a replacement at around 20-25K in Delhi/NCR traffic.
Old 1st February 2009, 20:24   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
In the first year of the car's life, it was being driven on Delhi-Gurgaon pre expressway days, where there was a lot of stop and go involved. That and perhaps some other reasons caused the brake pads to start making noises at 16K, and getting replaced at 19-20K. After that, so far 17K done, and still no noise. One possible reason is a lot less braking (after Feb 08 when the expressway was opened). Anyway, I think Corolla AT requires a replacement at around 20-25K in Delhi/NCR traffic.
To be very honest, my mileage is about 7-8k kms/year most of it on the highways. So a set should last me at least 3-4 years. My car is a MT. I use engine braking a lot and anticipate stops.

That said, I do not make compromises on safety, I'd change the entire brake pad set (& even a set of tyres) if necessary to maintain that safety margin. Rs 5k is a very, very, small price to pay for safety of 1-5 human beings riding in that car.

Rgds,
Old 16th March 2009, 12:21   #80
BHPian

I want to add here that my Altis, gave a squeeking brake noise @ 600Km reading when it was off road for few KM's, but it was only at that time, I did inform the serive guys though, not sure what they did, took it through fields again (Live in Gurgaon, and some times have to take mud roads through villages), and nothing happened. But I am pretty sure at 600Km Brake pad should be good.
Regards
Old 17th March 2009, 01:14   #81
Senior - BHPian

Ofcourse @ 600kms your pads will be in great shape! its just the dust.
Old 11th November 2009, 16:51   #82
VEA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post

Then again with two people the noise was not there, so i asked for one person to get down and it helped and the noise was there.
This would probably have suggested the suspension interfering with the brakes when the car is not loaded. Looks like all of us missed it. So did the service guys.
Old 11th November 2009, 17:13   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEA View Post
This would probably have suggested the suspension interfering with the brakes when the car is not loaded. Looks like all of us missed it. So did the service guys.
Ya, but Toyota didn't missed it, they started a campaign at that time and replaced suspension of all Altis from first few lots.
Old 11th November 2009, 19:29   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Ya, but Toyota didn't missed it, they started a campaign at that time and replaced suspension of all Altis from first few lots.
The campaign was related to the front brake pads. It had nothing to do with the suspension, The task was carried out on my car (before my eyes ) in 20 minutes flat and the problem was solved.

Cheers!
Old 15th September 2010, 23:42   #85
NGM
BHPian

As per the service center i have to replace all the brake pads for the corolla altis(MT) after running 14000 Km.It seems altis brake pad is not going to last long and a bit expensive too.It will cost around 14K for all the brake pads compared to around 7-8K for the previous version of Corolla.Owners of the new Corolla Altis,be prepared for a high cost of ownership

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks