Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2008, 00:14   #16
BHPian

Thanks a LOT SirAlec ... You confirmed my doubt. See i'm not a technically ill informed guy anymore . I double checked the shaft for any play but its absolutely stiff. Thank goodness i did not go ahead and had it changed on the recommendation of the MASS.

Only the rotor is moving about some millimeters on the shaft when i try to turn it.
Old 12th November 2008, 13:15   #17
BHPian

That ignition wiring pdf was very informative!

1 )Please tell me whether i will have to have the ignition timing adjusted again after the distributor rotor change or not?

2)And is there a full service manual pdf available with you SirAlec? I searched all over the forum but could not find it anywhere. :(
Old 12th November 2008, 21:00   #18
BHPian

And one more problem; (probably the last ) is that the clutch is very hard. All other cars i have driven, including m800 have a quite easy to press clutch, my feet hurt after a long drive. How can it be fixed? The clutch does not slip.

I searched the forums and once i found that the clutch plate along with the pressure plate to get that fixed,
then i also found in another thread that some springs have gone hard which have to be changed,
in another thread i found that there could be air bubbles somewhere, and the system needs to be bled out to fix that.

So as you can see i am pretty confused. Please reply soon. thanks.
Old 12th November 2008, 21:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

there is a service manual somewhere posted here.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...d-here-13.html

But this particular 10 page i posted about electronics and charging system is missing in that I guess.

Definitely timings should be tested again, Its a 2 minute job, A strobe and a No.10 spanner is required.
Old 13th November 2008, 03:49   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalck View Post
And one more problem; (probably the last ) is that the clutch is very hard. All other cars i have driven, including m800 have a quite easy to press clutch, my feet hurt after a long drive. How can it be fixed? The clutch does not slip.

I searched the forums and once i found that the clutch plate along with the pressure plate to get that fixed,
then i also found in another thread that some springs have gone hard which have to be changed,
in another thread i found that there could be air bubbles somewhere, and the system needs to be bled out to fix that.

So as you can see i am pretty confused. Please reply soon. thanks.
clutch/pressure plate replacement is the last resort.

First try to set the clutch. There will be two bolts that need to be loosen or tighten depending upon how you want it. (just behind the radiator fan, you will never miss)
If still the problem persists check the clutch cable, if possible change it. Its just Rs.85/-.

800 has cable operated clutch, hence no bleeding or bubbles.
Old 13th November 2008, 23:50   #21
BHPian

Messing around with the bolts as you told me SirAlec, i was able to successfully adjust the clutch play to my liking but it had absolutely no effect on the hardness.

I'll have to find some workshop here other than a MASS which can help me out on this, will try the cable replacement as suggested, and probably the bearing too, and whatever the mechanic suggests (other than whole clutch overhaul as i can't go for that at this stage, have to get some accessories installed ).

Thanks for all the help SirAlec and GTO, i will post what happens next.
Old 14th November 2008, 02:10   #22
Senior - BHPian

when you go to the extent to changing the clutch bearing, changing clutch is no big deal. clutch+pressure plate will cost just Rs.1000/-
Old 14th November 2008, 09:52   #23
BHPian

Really ? MGP? then what costs the Rs. 4k i always hear about?

please tell me what all is changed in a clutch overhaul, i do not want to be screwed by the mechanic. Thanks
Old 16th November 2008, 00:32   #24
Senior - BHPian

1. clutch+pressure plate
2. clutch bearing,
3. cable if very old
4. flywheel if grooves/teeths are worn and starter misses some times. (its cheaper to change beforehand than to open up the whole thing again for the flywheel.
5. if changing flywheel, change the bearing also.

you know where to look for the price comparison

and yeah add to that labour of Rs.350. or 550 max at MASS.
Old 16th November 2008, 00:55   #25
BHPian

Thanks for the reply again SirAlec... so how much will all this work land me up moneywise?

Thankfully i haven't come across any more problems now. Will get this done sometime in the next 2 months.
Old 17th November 2008, 13:23   #26
BHPian

I checked with two MASS at Dwarka and they are unwilling to sell me a distributor rotor... Where should i be able to buy one?

And just discovered that the silencer is cracked at two places, it wasn't cracked before, what should i do about them, are they repairable or do i have to change it?
Because of them a 'grrrr' kind of a sound is heard as i rev the engine, kind of like some yester year sports car , but i don't like it.
Old 21st November 2008, 14:37   #27
BHPian

And please tell me what does the screw sticking out at the back of the carb do (it also has a spring in it)?

And is engine vibration at near idle normal in a m800 engine?
Old 22nd November 2008, 20:26   #28
Senior - BHPian

there are two, which one are you talking about.
the one near the accelerator cable is ideal speed adj. screw.
the one in the mid part of carb is idle mixture adj. screw.

When the engine is real cold (like here in hills) it does vibrates.
Old 22nd November 2008, 22:28   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalck View Post
I checked with two MASS at Dwarka and they are unwilling to sell me a distributor rotor... Where should i be able to buy one?

And just discovered that the silencer is cracked at two places, it wasn't cracked before, what should i do about them, are they repairable or do i have to change it?
Because of them a 'grrrr' kind of a sound is heard as i rev the engine, kind of like some yester year sports car , but i don't like it.
Go to a MGP distributor - don't know where in delhi but ask some mech/supervisor at the MASS for the address - every city apparently has a MGP distributor since MUL made the MASS/Dealers stop counter sales. They'd happily sell you any spare or order one for you if they don't have it in stock.
Old 23rd November 2008, 13:54   #30
BHPian

Thanks for the info techn0l0gist... i'll see if i can find out something about one...

@SirAlec The screw is right behind the carb beside a black pipe that connects into the carb. I'll post a picture if still not clear.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks