Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2008, 23:20   #1
BHPian

Leaf spring suspension "modification" - Is it okay?

Hijacking!

But its related to Leaf Springs.. 'Search' didnt come up with a better thread. So here is a small query.

Recently I had my Bolero serviced, and the mechanic had used a spanner to put some space between the leaf and the clamp holding it in place. He said "otherwise the leaf would rub with these parts and you will hear a lot of squeak".

Leaf spring suspension "modification" - Is it okay?-leaf1.jpg

It kinda made sense, looked as if it was a preventive step, but now I am wondering, would that extra space be a problem when taking a tight curve with 5+ people on board, would the leafs shift, move around, cause permanent damage!

Another view:

Leaf spring suspension "modification" - Is it okay?-leaf2.jpg
Old 10th November 2008, 18:51   #2
BHPian

Now I am little concerned.

I have been looking at a couple of leaf spring setups (on the comp, ofcourse) and I see that none of the rebound clips are 'open ended' like the one I have on my Bolero.

Name:  LeafSpring.gif
Views: 33229
Size:  5.3 KB

Here is the real one

Leaf spring suspension "modification" - Is it okay?-leaf_spring_011.jpg

And when I checked Sabareesh's thread, in this particular post he had a pic of his Jeep's suspension. There again the rebound clips were closed, clamped down.

Leaf spring suspension "modification" - Is it okay?-jeeps.jpg

Now I have an open clip, that has been stretched out so as to not touch the leafs.
So now what? do I get it into its old form or shall i get them clamped down . Any inputs?
Old 10th November 2008, 21:59   #3
BHPian

what was the initial setup like ? Was the clamp closed or was just tighter or closer ?
Old 10th November 2008, 23:01   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr

Now I have an open clip, that has been stretched out so as to not touch the leafs.
So now what? do I get it into its old form or shall i get them clamped down . Any inputs?
Get them clamped asap. With the current setup, the chances are the leafs will spread sidewards. though they cant move forward or backward due to center bolt. since all the leafs are not held together, this could cause serious damage when you are off the road due to articulation.
Old 10th November 2008, 23:07   #5
BANNED

When the rebound clip is closed ,then the spring plates can take more load as the load is somewhat split btwn all the connected plates . The rebound rate is also higher

when the rebound clip is open , the suspension is a bit more soft and the load carrying capacity is also reduced .
The open clip is used for assembling the spring plates ,one on top of the another and to secure it to the axle . Even if there is a gap after assembly , it dosent matter any more as long as the U clamps are secure .
Old 11th November 2008, 11:03   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
what was the initial setup like ? Was the clamp closed or was just tighter or closer ?
Originally the clip was closer to the leaves, but not closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
When the rebound clip is closed ,then the spring plates can take more load ......
When the rebound clip is open , the suspension is a bit more soft....

The open clip is used for assembling the spring plates ,one on top of the another and to secure it to the axle . Even if there is a gap after assembly , it dosent matter any more as long as the U clamps are secure .
Now, this make sense. I think I get the the clamps back into their original shape before I take the next long trip, for city driving I feel the clamp is secure enough.

Thanks for the tip greatman!
Old 11th November 2008, 11:23   #7
BHPian

Spinnerr, please note that greatman is talking about closed clamp and not closer clamp. The clamp in your car was originally open only, and the difference is gap between the clamp and leafs.
Old 11th November 2008, 11:40   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
.....it dosent matter any more as long as the U clamps are secure .
oh, is that so? Greatman had said, 'U' clamps, so I thought he was talking about the open ended ones.
Old 11th November 2008, 13:12   #9
BHPian

Really bad idea spreading the clamps.

Bend them back to the original shape and apply some grease to prevent noise.
Old 11th November 2008, 13:39   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
Spinnerr, please note that greatman is talking about closed clamp and not closer clamp. The clamp in your car was originally open only, and the difference is gap between the clamp and leafs.
Thank you for correcting .
U clamp = closed clamp in truckers speak .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks