Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2008, 15:42   #1
BHPian

Turn Indicator light does not cut off automatically

After taking the turn the indicator lights do not turn off, and I have move the lever manually to switch them off.

Local Electrician said its incurable, however I seriously doubt this claim. Has someone sorted this out ?
Old 14th November 2008, 15:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Did you recently got your steering wheel removed, for whatever reason, and refit? Then maybe it was not fitted correctly and the small lever in the center that makes the indicator lever return to its normal position is not properly aligned.

Do you hear a 'kat, kat' sound after executing a turn with the indicator on, and the lever doesn't return back? the this could be the reason. Secondly theat lever could have worn off or broken..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
After taking the turn the indicator lights do not turn off, and I have move the lever manually to switch them off.

Local Electrician said its incurable, however I seriously doubt this claim. Has someone sorted this out ?
Old 14th November 2008, 17:08   #3
BHPian

Could you please tell me what car you use ? mostly its the release spring that has gone . problem is its hard to open that assembly . I use an ikon and face the very same issue . I am unable to fix it , tried opening the unit too, hardly anything that we can do . if you do find a solution please let me know too .
Old 14th November 2008, 17:50   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Did you recently got your steering wheel removed, for whatever reason, and refit? Then maybe it was not fitted correctly and the small lever in the center that makes the indicator lever return to its normal position is not properly aligned.
I got it done few months back, got it straightened and all, and I guess the problem started after that only.

Quote:
Do you hear a 'kat, kat' sound after executing a turn with the indicator on, and the lever doesn't return back? the this could be the reason. Secondly theat lever could have worn off or broken..
But I do not hear any sound and sometimes it does work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamir_subzero View Post
Could you please tell me what car you use ? mostly its the release spring that has gone . problem is its hard to open that assembly . I use an ikon and face the very same issue . I am unable to fix it , tried opening the unit too, hardly anything that we can do . if you do find a solution please let me know too .
Its an Esteem'97.
Old 14th November 2008, 18:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Its an Esteem'97.
Time to change the car Shashank !
Old 14th November 2008, 18:16   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
and get another one to stand there and stare at. . This is a lovely car, and with my kind of usage (rare, only recreational) any car is good for me.

Btw, I seriously do not plan to change the car. This car serves all my purpose. It does require some maintenance, but I do not mind that, as service and parts are not very expensive, and the thing I get fixed once does not trouble for a long time. Next in line is complete suspension overhaul.

Last edited by Shashank.A : 14th November 2008 at 18:19.
Old 14th November 2008, 18:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

On more thing , if he upgrades the car , how will he have a beautiful masterpiece called the picaso with him.
Old 14th November 2008, 18:35   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
On more thing , if he upgrades the car , how will he have a beautiful masterpiece called the picaso with him.
Or the new one will be converted to Leonardo da Vinci..
Old 14th November 2008, 18:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

No Doubt.
In the locality you live in , where kids are a menace , its better to not buy a new car.

I would say try the MASS for the correction.
Old 14th November 2008, 19:02   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
I would say try the MASS for the correction.
There service charge would be more than value of my car
Old 14th November 2008, 19:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

It is a great thing you do not own a Skoda then

If MASS service charges cause you distress, a Skoda repair bill will cause you heart attacks!
Old 14th November 2008, 20:53   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
No need to change the car for this problem. And 97 esteem is good enough for the purpose you have stated.

Quote:
Then maybe it was not fitted correctly and the small lever in the center that makes the indicator lever return to its normal position is not properly aligned..
yes – as indicated by gd, I also feel the problem is here. Basically this is a mechanical problem and the electrician will not be able to give a solution. Just get it checked with the good mechanic who should be able to set this right. Mostly it is some spring or lever that is not seating properly or missing.
Old 14th November 2008, 21:12   #13
BHPian

as gd said, there's a small circular ring when you open out the steering.
since you got your steering straightened, that ring might have lost its original position..
the ring shows an arrow which has to be placed pointing upwards.
i had the same issue with my car..
go to a reputed car alignment shop, get the ring at the center, and then realign again.
i did the same thing and now the indicators are performing to perfection with auto cut when the steering is back to the center.
pls note an electrician will not be able to solve this issue.
Old 15th November 2008, 13:33   #14
BHPian

Don't want to steal the thread - but I've a similar problem but its just opposite of Shashank.
In my Zen the indicator auto-return cuts off prematurely before completing the turn. I saw a electrician but he was unable to rectify the problem - can anybody tell me what needs to be checked?
Old 15th November 2008, 13:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

Read my post above. It is the same - steering wheel alignment problem.. Also read live2drive's post

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Don't want to steal the thread - but I've a similar problem but its just opposite of Shashank.
In my Zen the indicator auto-return cuts off prematurely before completing the turn. I saw a electrician but he was unable to rectify the problem - can anybody tell me what needs to be checked?

Most Viewed