Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2010, 20:30   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Is there any way to check the EPS by oneself?
You can check whether the EPS is responding or not yourselves. Other than that you cannot do anything !
Old 26th May 2010, 07:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
You can check whether the EPS is responding or not yourselves. Other than that you cannot do anything !
How Mithun? are there any tests? or just whether the steering is hard compared to other cars?
Old 26th May 2010, 20:16   #18
Senior - BHPian

Steering will be extremely hard or frighteningly light.

Or you can go to a service center and hook up a scan tool to check the sensors.
Old 2nd June 2010, 10:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

Found an answer on the forum itself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Simple way to check if the power steering is working. With ignition off and on is the power required to turn the steering the same?

If the car is off steering will be heavy as the power steering is switched off. When engine is running the EPS turns on and the steering will be light. If this is not happening then your PS fuse is blown or some problem with EPS. If the steering is light with engine on but still not as light as before get the suspension and rack checked.
Old 26th September 2015, 23:02   #20
BHPian

Re: Hard Steering wheel of Swift VXi

Reviving an old topic as i am facing a similar problem with my 2008 Swift VXi.

Couple of weeks back, i got the routine wheel alignment and balancing done and for few days after, everything seemed normal however since last couple of days i noticed the steering has become too stiff and hard. Its gone bad to that extent that even after driving 5-10kms at a stretch, i experience pain in my right arm and wrist.

Could this be due to alignment gone wrong or something else to be checked? Any pointers would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by GTO : 8th June 2019 at 08:15. Reason: typo
Old 27th September 2015, 00:08   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZinFluent View Post
Please get your power steering fluid level checked. It could have gone low.

Last edited by GTO : 8th June 2019 at 08:15. Reason: Trimming quoted post
Old 27th September 2015, 10:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZinFluent View Post
Post the alignment readings you must have got after you got the alignment done. It must be too much toe in dialed which is making your steering suddenly hard.

Last edited by GTO : 8th June 2019 at 08:15. Reason: Trimming quoted post
Old 28th September 2015, 21:29   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Post the alignment readings you must have got after you got the alignment done. It must be too much toe in dialed which is making your steering suddenly hard.

Is there any specific reading that i should post? Sorry about the silly question but i can see various measurements listed under front axle like castor, KPI, camber, individual toe, total toe setback and included angle.
Old 16th May 2019, 19:14   #24
BHPian

Steering gone hard in Chevrolet Spark

Last week, I decided to get the Contact ASM plate changed in the power steering wheel housing at the new Noida service centre, since it was making a scratchy noise (quite low but annoying at times) in my 2009 Spark. The horn contact too had been patchy but both were manageable. Seeing the process of yanking out the steering wheel was scary, btw.

After this, the annoying scratchy sound is gone but the steering feels a quite bit harder compared to before. Also, it doesn't return as smoothly and fast as before, after making a turn.

We did the usual checks. The steering fluid levels are fine, I was told. Filled up my under-inflated tyres and rechecked but no change. I also got the steering wheel re-checked and re-fitted to be sure. No change.

Service centre guy tells me only thing to do is check the rest of the power steering assembly (if I insisist). Not sure if that's a good idea. Already regretting changing this plate.

My arms get tired sooner and it just doesn't feel as comfortable as before while driving. What could possibly be the cause and what can I do please?
Old 27th May 2019, 22:57   #25
BHPian

Re: Steering gone hard in Chevrolet Spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by curios View Post
Last week, I decided to get the Contact ASM plate changed in the power steering wheel housing at the new Noida service centre, since it was making a scratchy noise (quite low but annoying at times) in my 2009 Spark. The horn contact too had been patchy but both were manageable. Seeing the process of yanking out the steering wheel was scary, btw.

After this, the annoying scratchy sound is gone but the steering feels a quite bit harder compared to before. Also, it doesn't return as smoothly and fast as before, after making a turn.

We did the usual checks. The steering fluid levels are fine, I was told. Filled up my under-inflated tyres and rechecked but no change. I also got the steering wheel re-checked and re-fitted to be sure. No change.

Service centre guy tells me only thing to do is check the rest of the power steering assembly (if I insisist). Not sure if that's a good idea. Already regretting changing this plate.

My arms get tired sooner and it just doesn't feel as comfortable as before while driving. What could possibly be the cause and what can I do please?
Update: Around 4-5 days later, I found that the steering has begun to move more freely, but the problem is that it doesn't quite feel responsive as it should.

Cannot explain the issue any better but there is an uncomfortable sense of not being entirely in control of the steering. Anybody please advise what this could be and what should I do about it. Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks