Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2008, 21:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

Chevrolet U-VA: query about steering noise, some jerks

I have these queries about my 2 month old Chevrolet U-VA:
1. When I use the steering with the engine on and the cars stationary I hear a groaning kind of noise from the back. This is usually at the extremes of steering but nowadays if I steer all the way to the right and then turn to the left I can hear it almost throughout. I dont hear this when I steer the car while it is moving.
2. At speeds of 20-30 KMPH when I turn the steering does not center itself after finishing the turn - I have to manually turn it back. My dad said this is not right and it should come back easily - when I was driving the Maruti 800 it happens quite smoothly without any assistance
3. In second gear when I brake and then accelerate or at slow speeds (even 20-30 KMPH) release the accelerator there is a jerk in the car - no noise or engine noise - just that the initial movement of the car is a jerk.

I've been driving only for 5 months so some of it may be because of my inexperience - but should I take the car in for a check up? Should I change fuel station or clean something under the bonnet (everything inside the bonnet looks greek and latin to me, but someone told me the engine, radiator, some wires, etc are all different parts of a car ... duh!!)
Old 16th November 2008, 23:20   #2
BHPian

Benji ross ; my suggestions are as follows For point 1. if there is a noise at full turn then this is normal , nothing to worry . Apart from this you might here the noise of tyres if they are turned when stationary . For point 2 , get wheel balancing and alignment done , make sure they remove the horn cover and set the steering straight . For point 3 , since you're new to the world of driving it takes some time for you to master the art of matching the clutch and accelerator . Hope my reply is useful to you . Happy motoring
Old 18th November 2008, 10:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.V.R View Post
Benji ross ; my suggestions are as follows For point 1. if there is a noise at full turn then this is normal , nothing to worry . Apart from this you might here the noise of tyres if they are turned when stationary . For point 2 , get wheel balancing and alignment done , make sure they remove the horn cover and set the steering straight . For point 3 , since you're new to the world of driving it takes some time for you to master the art of matching the clutch and accelerator . Hope my reply is useful to you . Happy motoring
Thanks for the suggestions:
I am pretty sure its not the tires that cause the sound.
I'll get the wheel balancing done - was planning to visit the dealer next week - so will ask them specifically for this.
The reason the jerks worry me is that they never used to be there earlier for the first 1000-1500 KM.
I've done 2000 KM till now and have 2 highway trips planned in the next 30 days - so wanna make sure that there are no other issues with the car.
I'll try getting my dad or someone to drive the car and see whether it behaves better.
Old 18th November 2008, 10:30   #4
BHPian

Power Steering is supposed to be power assisted and uses the power from the car (Engine). So when the car is idling and you steer, the power assist comes into play and the engine makes a low growl, to generate power for the steering. (This is my way of interpreting it, might me some other logic as well).

While the vehicle is moving, then the car is already producing enough noise and power, for you to not notice anything.
Old 21st October 2009, 16:20   #5
BHPian

UVa accelerator pedal noise

On long drives, if the car is driven for more than 75 km or so at a stretch, I often hear a clicking sound when I press the accelerator pedal. It usually comes when I release the accelerator to slow down and press it again. Like a couple of metallic parts tapping against each other. No particular effect on the car's performance though.

After the car is stopped and the engine cools down, the sound doesn't come up immediately when the car is next driven.

Have asked the service centre people about this and they have said they checked and couldn't find anything wrong.

Any ideas?
Old 22nd October 2009, 14:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightdrive View Post
On long drives, if the car is driven for more than 75 km or so at a stretch, I often hear a clicking sound when I press the accelerator pedal.
Any ideas?
Does the sound also happen when you switch on or off the AC?
See this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...d-my-u-va.html
Old 22nd October 2009, 17:48   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Does the sound also happen when you switch on or off the AC?....
No, it is not connected to the AC. It comes whether the AC is on or off.

I have seen that thread you posted a link to but this sound seems to be different. In your case it seemed to be from under the bonnet. Here it comes from the accelerator pedal.
Old 24th October 2009, 09:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightdrive View Post
Here it comes from the accelerator pedal.
I had a similar problem with my brake pedal. It used to sound normal when i drove in the city, but on highway trips started making a noise that was scratchy. It wasn't a clicking sound though. They cleaned up the spring and everything is OK now.
I have noticed that the accelerator pedal on my UVA is not really the smoothest - but no noise though.
Old 24th October 2009, 15:23   #9
BHPian

Will get it checked again in a few days - seems to be linked to prolonged use as it doesn't come up in regular shorter drives. Thanks for the reply anyway.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks