Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2005, 11:25   #16
Senior - BHPian

umm... jaggu, wouldn't it be better if you get the work done outside the A.S.C s? i mean, you could save a bundle!! it does seem like honda overcharges it's customers!!

Quote:
and thanks for the sympathy but we make sure Honda's are bought under co name so that they get the tab
so does that mean your employer takes the tab? then go right ahead!!! ahem, we can't compromise on quality now, can we? and also, that must explain why company maintained hondas are slightly better off in the used car market,...he....he....he....!!
Old 9th April 2005, 11:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
did your sound start coming all of a sudden or it slowly build up with volume increasing as time passed.
Well, it started off as a slight hummmm but now, it sounds like a tractor!! LOL
We've stopped using the A/C as we fear it might lead to other complications and the fact that none off us can stand that horrible noise.

With the A/C switched off, the car is very silent.

Shan2nu
Old 9th April 2005, 12:08   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey guys,
Do you all know anyone in Mumbai who keeps an A.C vent of the accord.
Mine has broken and Honda is charging 16500 bucks just for the vent !!!
Thanx.
Old 9th April 2005, 13:56   #19
Senior - BHPian

Man these dealerships really cane you when it comes to spares. My right, side view mirror is a fake and works as good as the other one.

When it comes to A/C vents, side view mirrors, head lights, bumpers etc, i feels it better to buy them else where.

Honda doesn't believe in repairing anything, they always replace. They wanted me to replace the door for 15K just bcoz it had a big dent, caused by a bike hitting the car, perpendicularly.

Got it fixed and painted (including the bumpers) for 7K.

If it's a engine related problem, I stick to the company but, for other things, i don't see why i can't get it done elsewhere.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 9th April 2005 at 13:57.
Old 16th April 2005, 14:02   #20

There's no such thing as a clutch bearing. What he probably means is the compressor pully bearing. However it's probably the idler pully bearing making the noise & needs replacement
Get an A/C guy to take a look at it. Check out also with SANDAN VICAS they may have retro fitted the unit. Happy motoring!

Last edited by sss11 : 16th April 2005 at 14:04.
Old 21st April 2005, 18:42   #21
Senior - BHPian

Well, i got the compressor removed and dismantled today. It's the pulley rotor has some play in it and keeps banging the clutch when the A/C is switched on.

I'll be meeting hiw day after tom and will find out what part of the compressor needs to be replaced. The problem isn't big but, the fact that it's very diff to find individual parts in the market makes it look expensive.

If i can't find whatever part needs to be replaced, i mught have to buy a 2nd hand comprssor and fit that part onto the original compressor.

Shan2nu
Old 24th March 2013, 13:20   #22

Re: Air Con making noise!!

For all what it is worth, I would like to add my experience regarding aircon noise. This problem on my OHC 2000 Exi was nagging me for a year until today. Honda Service and Castrol Service said its a compressor bearing problem but that the entire unit has to be replaced at an estimated cost of 23K. Based on what I read on this post, I visited a aircon service center--Real Chill Madhapur, Hyderabad. He diagnosed a worn out coil--I don't know what that means. Cost of replacement with gas refill 7.5K. Got it done today and all issues have vanished. Cabin noise at its best again.
Old 20th September 2015, 17:13   #23
BHPian

Hello ,
Is it normal to have a louder noise when the A/C intake is set to recirculate option? Somehow I did not notice this in an i10 but is significantly louder in a diesel verna. Can some DIY be done to reduce this noise. The A/C is really silent when intake is set to fresh air. Help please!

Thanks
Biju
Old 20th September 2015, 18:36   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijubalan View Post
Hello ,

Is it normal to have a louder noise when the A/C intake is set to recirculate option? Somehow I did not notice this in an i10 but is significantly louder in a diesel verna. Can some DIY be done to reduce this noise. The A/C is really silent when intake is set to fresh air. Help please!

Thanks

Biju

Maybe there is something stuck in your blower or the cooling coil is choked up. How's the cooling in recirculated mode?
Old 20th September 2015, 19:17   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Maybe there is something stuck in your blower or the cooling coil is choked up. How's the cooling in recirculated mode?
The blower was air cleaned from both ASS and an independent garage near my home. Still the sound persist. They are not able to zero in on the problem and rather like to open the dashboard and do a trial and error trouble shooting. Now I am wondering why it is only during recirculate mode. If it was something related blower or cooling coil it should be giving noise under any mode right? Am I missing something? To answer your question cooling is ok in recirculate mode, no noticeable difference from the fresh air mode.
Old 21st September 2015, 12:39   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Hello ,
Is it normal to have a louder noise when the A/C intake is set to recirculate option?
Exactly the same thing happens on my Nano, but it does not happen in the Manza. I noticed this too but decided to live with it since the cooling wasn't affected.
Old 21st September 2015, 19:27   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Now I am wondering why it is only during recirculate mode. If it was something related blower or cooling coil it should be giving noise under any mode right? Am I missing something?
Open the blower unit and see if the blower fins are in good shape or no. I doubt the fan is not running well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay K View Post
Exactly the same thing happens on my Nano, but it does not happen in the Manza. I noticed this too but decided to live with it since the cooling wasn't affected.
Old 22nd September 2015, 17:43   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Open the blower unit and see if the blower fins are in good shape or no. I doubt the fan is not running well.
I would like to understand Whether the blower will be used only in recirculate mode? If not it should make noise in the fresh air mode as well. Is there any component inside which works only in recirculate mode other than the intake duct below left dash. Hearing the noise it feels more like one from an obstructed/disturbed flow rather than a mechanical fault. I took a picture when the mechanic took the blower for air cleaning. I don't have enough expertise to understand Whether fins are ok . Please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Air Con making noise!!-img_20150922_173431.jpg  

Air Con making noise!!-img_20150922_173737.jpg  

Old 22nd September 2015, 18:01   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would like to understand Whether the blower will be used only in recirculate mode? If not it should make noise in the fresh air mode as well. Is there any component inside which works only in recirculate mode other than the intake duct below left dash. Hearing the noise it feels more like one from an obstructed/disturbed flow rather than a mechanical fault. I took a picture when the mechanic took the blower for air cleaning. I don't have enough expertise to understand Whether fins are ok . Please let me know.
The fins look ok.

The blower will be used both in re-circulation mode and in fresh air mode. In both these modes, the same duct takes the air to the blower intake. At the beginning of this duct, there is a flap which allows either the fresh air or the inside air to enter the duct.

If there is an obstruction in the re-circulation air path before (upstream) this flap, you notice a different sound from the blower.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2015, 04:30   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Now I am wondering why it is only during recirculate mode. If it was something related blower or cooling coil it should be giving noise under any mode right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay K View Post
Exactly the same thing happens on my Nano, but it does not happen in the Manza.
As I had some spare time now, thought of cleaning the A/C filter a.k.a Cabin Air Filter. I opened the unit and cleaned it as I still have 4000 kms (40 days more) till the next service where I'll change the filter.

>> So during this job, I remembered the question asked by BijuBalan. I paid close attention to the sound by the A/C in the two modes: Recirculation and Fresh Air.

>> I found that the sound is lesser in fresh air mode as compared to recirculation. The curious soul inside me thought what is that makes that difference?! So I got down to see.

>> Opened the glove box and removed that plastic net like thing to expose the blower unit (Top portion). Picture 2 (See yellow arrows). After I removed that plastic part, I changed the modes to see what happens and I found that there is a rubber-plastic shroud like thing that does the mode change upon the press of the button.

In Fresh-Air mode:
The flap like thing closes and lets in air from the other end that takes air from outside the cabin.

In Recirculation Mode:
The flap is retracted where the air is taken from the cabin itself.

So regarding the problem BijuBalan is facing, it could be due to this plastic-rubber shroud. If it doesn't close fully then the sound increases. Do check and see if the flap is closing properly or no?!

The pictures explain the matter:

Cabin Air Filter:
Air Con making noise!!-img_20150925_022610.jpg

AC Unit:
Air Con making noise!!-img_20150925_032430.jpg

Recirculation Mode:
Air Con making noise!!-recirulation-mode.jpg

Fresh Air Mode:
Air Con making noise!!-fresh-air-mode.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
At the beginning of this duct, there is a flap which allows either the fresh air or the inside air to enter the duct. If there is an obstruction in the re-circulation air path before (upstream) this flap, you notice a different sound from the blower.
Bingo!

Last edited by a4anurag : 25th September 2015 at 04:40.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed