Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2008, 11:14   #46
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

I am glad this thread is making you guys laugh. I guess it was getting quite boring & serious on the forum .
Old 19th November 2008, 11:21   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Rush, kindly do this road test for me. Ask mad monkey to drive his RS in front of you, follow him closely behind (whatever gap you feel is necessary to be within safe limits) with your C from Bombay to Pune and try to maintain high speeds for around 2hrs. Please do let me know if your temperature needle rises up or not. I have done this, hence my observation.

@Rest: You guys are free to do the same too. Anyways, I am done arguing here.
You are again assuming people to be stupid enough to tail others closely at high speeds. NO. That's stupid driving. Most of us here are knowledgeable enough NOT to do that. BTW, that's all i know. I have no idea of in-takes, out-takes and what-it-takes.

On a different note, are you part of McLaren F1 team, is your real name Lewis and are you talking about tailing Kimi closely? Then it does matter.
Torqy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2008, 11:21   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
That is nothing!! In Bangalore, following a call center cab closely will make you even think like a cab driver! So, following a call center cab results in lowering of your IQ.
But the FE will improve. And the engine will last longer.

I now understand why people get hot when standing in a queue. Some get the hots for others but that is different.
Old 19th November 2008, 11:28   #49
BHPian

I don't know about the air flow part, but there could be another reason why engines might sound strained. In ghat roads if you are driving a petrol car and are stuck behind a slow convoy you have to rev more in a lower gear and frequently change gears. Personally I have a petrol car and I hate convoys going uphill, unless they happen to be behind.
Old 19th November 2008, 12:00   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
... But the moment a truck is able to overtake, the benefit of cool air is apparent and the driver is now able to do 24 kph.
True! I have personally experienced this by being behind so many of these fast 24kmph trucks on the NHAI ghat section. (Dam, there goes my engine!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
...So, following a call center cab results in lowering of your IQ.
Now this explains why few of us, including your's truly, behave the way we do in certain situations! (Honking, cutting across lane's, gesture communications, etc) All due us being spending most of our time behind these cabs!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
... I guess it was getting quite boring & serious on the forum .
The right spirit, mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
...On a different note, are you part of McLaren F1 team, is your real name Lewis and are you talking about tailing Kimi closely? Then it does matter.
Mc, autograph please!
Old 19th November 2008, 20:47   #51
rippergeo

I dont know what you guys are talking about! On our TBHP drives in mallu land- we always drive in convoys, we maintain good distance between cars, and are usually travelling fast enough not to cause any trouble to other fast drivers.
we have not seen our engines overheat on any of the ghat drives we did.
We are also quite disciplined and have a lead and a sweeper.
Actually, I cant remember any of our convoys ever slowing an outside car down. we have made them speed up on occasion
  (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2008, 20:50   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
I dont know what you guys are talking about! On our TBHP drives in mallu land- we always drive in convoys, we maintain good distance between cars, and are usually travelling fast enough not to cause any trouble to other fast drivers.
we have not seen our engines overheat on any of the ghat drives we did.
We are also quite disciplined and have a lead and a sweeper.
Actually, I cant remember any of our convoys ever slowing an outside car down. we have made them speed up on occasion
Hehehe... that was one hell of a D R I V E man
Old 19th November 2008, 21:15   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
How do you surely know that the outside car never ever had to slow down? And curious on how outside cars are speeded up?
Old 19th November 2008, 21:27   #54
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
How do you surely know that the outside car never ever had to slow down? And curious on how outside cars are speeded up?
We were travelling too fast for anyone to keep up let alone overtake

and people usually speed up when they see our lead car(usually a grey qualis/or grey safari) atleast, they try very hard to get out of the way.

@sankar- You bet it was. it was a great D R I V E. see you at the next one this month end, where we'll test Mclaren's theory.http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ml#post1059769

Last edited by rippergeo : 19th November 2008 at 21:30.

Old 26th July 2015, 17:37   #55
Senior - BHPian

Re: Can convoy driving cause engine trouble?

Sorry to revive an old thread.

A while back my Accord had to be towed to the Honda ASC for starting problems. As the car was loaded onto a flatbed on a Sunday afternoon, I decided to follow in my Nano. I actually wanted to post it as a different thread, "Following a flatbed", but this one is close enough. I had set just one rule - follow the flatbed.

On a couple of occasions the situation demanded that I overtake the truck, but then I parked on the side to allow the truck to catch up. While I didn't exactly leave a car length of a gap, I didn't honk at the occasional vehicle that squeezed between the flatbed and my Nano.

The drive was so much more relaxing. I didn't have to worry about planning overtaking maneuvers, didn't have to watch for other road obstacles and in general had a peaceful time. The flatbed aet the pace and the route and I just followed it.

Thinking about it more I remembered reading in one of the old books on Himalayan mountaineering expeditions that the mountaineers often travel in single file. The leader paves the way, or digs it if you prefer, for a few metres and everyone follows him. After the few metres the leader moves to a side and lets the file pass, before joining at the end of the file. Now there is a fresh leader who sets the pace and paves the way. I guess everybody leads and everybody rests. A win win situation!
Old 26th July 2015, 19:58   #56
Senior - BHPian

Re: Can convoy driving cause engine trouble?

When ever I drive on highway, I try to tag behind an empty truck or a high speed long distance luxury bus. They are fast, ensure that the traffic is cleared ahead which results in a peaceful drive, with no worry of any one jumping from a side road. The trick is to be 25 to 50m behind which gives enough leeway for emergency stops while preventing another vehicle from filling the gap.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks