Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2010, 00:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Baleno Suspension Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
lower arm and stabilizer bar bushes are the suspect here.
Yes, thats what they said.

Quote:
To test the steering rack, just park on a plain surface, like cemented parking lot and vigorously turn left and right. If you hear the sound the steering is the suspect.
Will try this. Steering may have some noise, but not much.

Quote:
But 6.5 k for a trailing arm is ridiculous. SX4s which is among maruti's expensive lot cost only 3600/- per piece.
Yeah. One of those famed Baleno SGP parts
Old 15th December 2010, 05:42   #17
BHPian

The lathe work or the padding of suspension arm is a option worth considering. Though it may not last long. Even if costs l1.5k and lasts for 10k kms, its fine, isnt it?. Atleast you know for sure that the Lower Arm is the actual problem maker. If you spent 7k and then realise that it was the steering that was the culprit all along then you would end up
Hope you get the issue resolved at the earliest.

Last edited by sureshkishore : 15th December 2010 at 05:44.
Old 15th December 2010, 09:42   #18
BHPian

I bought a Baleno recently from the True Value outlet and I happened to observe a strange noise. After the car has run for sometime and when I stop the car there seems to be a small sound coming from under the car. I can't figure out where from but the sound is like hitting an empty metal can. Its like a periodic tang tang tang kinda sound. It sounds as if a pendulum is hitting a hollow cylinder at periodic intervals. The thing is you don't notice the sound that easily. I happened to notice it just because one day I reached office early and the underground parking lot was empty. As soon as I got out I noticed the sounds because the whole place was silent. I am taking it to the service centre this weekend. But if anyone has any idea what this could be it could be real helpful.
Old 15th December 2010, 09:48   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithin_86 View Post
I bought a Baleno recently from the True Value outlet and I happened to observe a strange noise. After the car has run for sometime and when I stop the car there seems to be a small sound coming from under the car. I can't figure out where from but the sound is like hitting an empty metal can. Its like a periodic tang tang tang kinda sound. It sounds as if a pendulum is hitting a hollow cylinder at periodic intervals. The thing is you don't notice the sound that easily. I happened to notice it just because one day I reached office early and the underground parking lot was empty. As soon as I got out I noticed the sounds because the whole place was silent. I am taking it to the service centre this weekend. But if anyone has any idea what this could be it could be real helpful.
Don't worry about it. That was the first thing i noticed when I purchased my baleno in 2003. Next day I took it to MASS and they said it is due to the silencer metal when it starts contracting after having got heated. The sound goes of when the metal reaches ambient temperature
Old 15th December 2010, 11:00   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Took the car to the workshop. They said the lower arms and the bushes need to be replaced. The LHS seems to be more damaged than the RHS. But both should be replaced at one go. Each lower arm unit costs around Rs. 6.5K. I asked about repairing. They said, it's possible using a lathe, but it won't last.

Some work on the steering also needs to be done. This, they mentioned, would be done on a lathe.

I had thought the suspension needs work. But they said the suspension is fine.

However, I'd still like some inputs from anyone who has faced issues with lower arms.
Our Baleno has done around 4XK kms. IIRC. The noise is there and the front left lower arm and bushes are at fault here. Given the kind of use, I think this is fair enough. We have used the car mainly for highway drives, so this is not bad. Problem is procuring of parts.

When we had booked Waggie K10 CNG, at that point of time we had the checking of Baleno done. Its over 2 months now and the lower arms are yet to arrive. The car handles well and in a trip a month ago to A'bad, I was comfortable doing 140 on expressway between Vadodara and A'bad.

Yes, the lower arm does cost Rs. 6.5K. We were given similar quote in Vadodara, but the part is yet to arrive. On 7th I had met with an accident, in order to save a kid on bicycle who decided to cross the lane suddenly, I had to brake hard on my bike & as a result had a nasty fall. Will update this thread whenever we get the job done on Baleno. The service center says that everything is fine including struts, its just lower arm and bushes. But at the same time, the car has never felt odd or sort of loose front end, may be because it has not covered so many miles.
Old 15th December 2010, 12:19   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Its over 2 months now and the lower arms are yet to arrive.
Ooops ! The workshop here has the LHS arm in stock. They are waiting for the RHS. I guess I'll have to closely follow up with them on this.

I'm not too keen on replacing one at a time, lest it ends up damaging the new one.
Old 16th December 2010, 13:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithin_86 View Post
The sound is normal not only in Baleno but many cars and Bikes. It is produced by the exhaust system cooling off. Till date I have had two vehicles that produced this sound.
Old 16th December 2010, 16:04   #23
BHPian

Thanks Buffetfan and mbhangui. I have never encountered a sound like that. I was quite concerned and was planning to take it to the service centre. Good think I cleared it here else it would have been a complete waste taking it all the way to the service centre and them telling me that it is normal. I wouldn't have believed them even if they said it is normal. But now I feel lighter.

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 16th December 2010, 19:35   #24
BHPian

@nithin, as Buffetfan said the sound is common in many bikes and cars. Hopefully the owners of Honda Unicorn will be well aware of this noise. And being a bike it gives tic tic tic kind of sound and disappears after few minutes. the nature of noise is different in your case as it being a car
Old 23rd December 2010, 00:53   #25
BHPian

today only replaced all front bushing of my 2000 model baleno.it was some indian NGD kit.overall 95% sound is reduced.my baby has done 1.20k kms! total damage only 2k.am hoping it will last atleat 10k kms more.
Old 23rd December 2010, 20:38   #26
BHPian

procircuit, can you mention what all the bushes that you have changed? My ikon too has a lot of noise from the suspension, inspite of new struts and lower arms. I am inclined to try out the bush changing if it helps. The SA at the a** always says that sound is normal which I refuse to believe.
Old 23rd December 2010, 22:24   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
procircuit, can you mention what all the bushes that you have changed? My ikon too has a lot of noise from the suspension, inspite of new struts and lower arms. I am inclined to try out the bush changing if it helps. The SA at the a** always says that sound is normal which I refuse to believe.
it comes as a whole kit including lower arm bush,ball joint,balance rod.i think you will get it for your ikon also.but i really dont know about the quality.
Old 1st January 2011, 03:06   #28
Senior - BHPian

So the RHS lower arm arrived. It took about 10 working days for the part to arrive. Deposited the car yesterday (30th) and picked it up today 31st. The 'suspension' noises have disappeared ! Am ecstatic !

Quote:
lower arm and stabilizer bar bushes are the suspect here.
Bingo ! They changed the stabilizer bar bushes too.

Quote:
To test the steering rack, just park on a plain surface, like cemented parking lot and vigorously turn left and right. If you hear the sound the steering is the suspect.
Had done this after you mentioned it. No untoward sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Its over 2 months now and the lower arms are yet to arrive.
You may want to cross check this again. The part was ordered, received and replaced within 2 weeks.

Each lower arm costs around 6.3K. Add the labour costs + the some other bushes etc .. total damages 15K.
Old 17th April 2011, 20:13   #29
BHPian

Nothing like a rattle free baleno. Congratulations in finding the exact problem & getting it resolved.
Old 18th April 2011, 00:01   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procircuit_234 View Post
today only replaced all front bushing of my 2000 model baleno.it was some indian NGD kit.overall 95% sound is reduced.my baby has done 1.20k kms! total damage only 2k.am hoping it will last atleat 10k kms more.
it didnt lastjust maybe 5k kms.now planing to change all the front suspension SGP only.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks