Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2008, 11:46   #1
BHPian

Verna crdi: black smoke from exhaust

Verna owners, urgent help needed.
Mine is a Verna crdi 2007 model.
The car is absolutely stock with no performance mods.
Until recently, when i try to redline the car or need quick acceleration, what i see in my ORVM is a cloud of black smoke!!

The exhaust oggles out heavy black smoke.

I took this problem to Sunrise Hyundai..
The guy there cleaned the injectors and sprayed some decarboniser to remove any carbon.

For a week or so i did not see any signs of black smoke or so.

But last night tried to rip the car, and what i see in the rear view mirror is : greyish smoke.. Pls note it wasnt the black smoke which was observed earlier.

Has anyone ever had this kind of issue with verna?

P.S. : The car is performing fine: no drop in FE, pickup is good..

Awaiting replies.

Regards,
Abhinav.
Old 23rd November 2008, 14:51   #2
BHPian

Guys plz help me out..
Verna owners where are you all??
Old 23rd November 2008, 15:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

What kinda fuel do you use - Normal Diesel or the "Super" avatar?
Old 23rd November 2008, 15:43   #4
BHPian

I think this is normal if you are trying to accelerate hard at lower gears. I have seen this happen in many diesel cars, mostly while overtaking on the highway or at signal's. Try driving normally and observe if the same happens.
Old 23rd November 2008, 15:58   #5
BHPian

if the car is pumping a cloud of smoke then you need to look into the following:

1. change the petrol / diesel bunk
2. clog / blocked injectors
3. Change the diesel filter
Old 23rd November 2008, 16:11   #6
BHPian

i have been driving diesel cars for more than 3 years now and think there is nothing to worry.
a) there is accumulation of unburnt carbon in the exhaust in diesel cars. so when you rip her that deposit is what you see in the RVM. if you rev her high regularly this wont happen.
b) other factor might be the quality of diesel you are filling her with. low quality fuel results in higher emission. try a different bunk.
smoke during high acceleration is common in diesel cars so relax.
(seniors i hope i am right)

Last edited by white_vdi : 23rd November 2008 at 16:13.
Old 23rd November 2008, 16:14   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
Verna owners, urgent help needed.
Mine is a Verna crdi 2007 model.
The car is absolutely stock with no performance mods.
Until recently, when i try to redline the car or need quick acceleration, what i see in my ORVM is a cloud of black smoke!!

The exhaust oggles out heavy black smoke.

I took this problem to Sunrise Hyundai..
The guy there cleaned the injectors and sprayed some decarboniser to remove any carbon.

For a week or so i did not see any signs of black smoke or so.

But last night tried to rip the car, and what i see in the rear view mirror is : greyish smoke.. Pls note it wasnt the black smoke which was observed earlier.

Has anyone ever had this kind of issue with verna?

P.S. : The car is performing fine: no drop in FE, pickup is good..

Awaiting replies.

Regards,
Abhinav.
Hi Abhinav, black smoke is due to the inadequate supply of air during quick acceleration and if the engine is loaded. this is common in diesel engines. to overcome this we have turbocharger provided. again the turbocharger will not kick in until the engine goes to at least 2000rpm. during this you will observe black smoke. this is also called as turbo lag. again to overcome this we have VGT(variable geometric turbine) which works from low rpm and maintains good A/F ratio. so please check with the turbo and its operating range.
Old 23rd November 2008, 16:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

are you using turbojet?
Old 23rd November 2008, 16:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

@ live2drive: see buddy, i dont think the problem is as acute as it sounds. the diesel available in india is not the best. what i mean is it does not burn completely in the combustion chamber which in turn leaves a lot of unburnt hydrocarbons/soot in the exhaust valves and tail pipe. so when you rev hard, the high speed exhaust gases forces this soot outside and hence the black smoke.
however grey smoke or white smoke is a result of lubricant/oil mixing with diesel in the combustion chamber. when this oil burns, it comes out as white smoke. it can be due to worn out piston rings which is not effectively sealing the combustion chamber with the lubricating oil.
Old 23rd November 2008, 17:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
however grey smoke or white smoke is a result of lubricant/oil mixing with diesel in the combustion chamber. when this oil burns, it comes out as white smoke. it can be due to worn out piston rings which is not effectively sealing the combustion chamber with the lubricating oil.
@ raj when you burn engine oil youget blue smoke not white/grey smoke.

Black Smoke

This is due to a air to fuel ratio imbalance, either the fuel system is delivering too much fuel into the engine or there is not enough clean air (oxygen ) a few things to look for :
  • Faulty injectors
  • Faulty injector pump
  • Dirty air cleaner
  • Turbocharger or intercooler faulty
  • Problems within cylinder head, valves clogged up due to faulty EGR (exhaust gas recycling unit)
White Smoke

Normally means that the fuel injected into the cylinder is not burning correctly. The smoke will burn your eyes.
  • Engine/pump timing out
  • Fuel starvation to the pump causing the pumps timing not to operate correctly
  • Low engine compression
  • Water/petrol in the fuel
Blue Smoke

The engine is burning engine oil
  • Worn cylinders or piston rings
  • Faulty valves or valve stem seals
  • Engine over full with engine oil
  • Faulty injector pump/lift pump allowing engine oil to be mixed with the diesel

Last edited by cooldude1988765 : 23rd November 2008 at 17:52.
Old 23rd November 2008, 18:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

ohhhhhhh, thanks for the info cooldude....
the post i wrote was what we were told by our engineering books!
but i feel you are right.
Old 23rd November 2008, 18:54   #12
BHPian

Check whether u are using the normal diesel or Premium one. It happens normally with the Premium diesel, used to happen with my Innova, I got the injectors cleaned and started using normal fuel it works fine know.

I use normal fuel for all my diesel cars, Toyota and Chevvy even recommend u not to use the premium oils as the engines are not tuned for the same. Not sure about the Hyudai though.
Old 23rd November 2008, 19:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

@line2drive - theres is no reason for you to worry about engine issues unless you are experincing substiantial loss of power ( such as forcing yo to do more gear changes than you regular pattern ) or hearing unusal noises from the engine or turbo.

If you are on premium diesel i would suggest that you switch back to normal diesel and fill diesel preferably for company owned / run outlets. I have had experinces with increased black smoke on filling premium fuel . Also try to stcik to one fuel pump which is a good one , this is of extreme importnace since the engine is a very sensitive engine it reacts sharply to adulterated or low quality fuel.

I have had multiple occasions when i have had to stop the car and clear the diesel filter of water/contaminants within covering 100 kms of filling fuel from highway side pumps. And also note that all diesel cars would spew back smoke when the engine is revved under full load.
Old 23rd November 2008, 21:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
the post i wrote was what we were told by our engineering books!
Raj, I would certainly like to know which 'Engineering book' this was!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
And also note that all diesel cars would spew back smoke when the engine is revved under full load.
This would happen only for a very short duration till sufficient air is available to enable proper combustion. In modern cars that means till the time turbo-boost becomes available.
Old 23rd November 2008, 21:23   #15
BHPian

Guys i am using Normal Diesel.
And i fill up at BP outlet which is company owned and company operated..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks