Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2008, 16:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

How I wish every car had a CBS system. Makes life so much easier.
Old 25th November 2008, 17:57   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
How I wish every car had a CBS system. Makes life so much easier.
Sorry, but due to my poor knowledge, I would like to know what is a CBS system?

Last edited by Swifty2008 : 25th November 2008 at 17:59.
Old 25th November 2008, 18:06   #18
BHPian

CBS = Condition Based Service.

This means...the car monitors the driving pattern & prompts for service when it is actually due. For example, my 530d is programmed to be serviced at 15K kms but I usually get prompted around 12500 possibly due to the fact that Gurgaon has some terrible stop & go traffic!

From the car's monitor you can read out the times for engine oil change, filters, brake, brake fluid change etc.
Old 26th November 2008, 11:04   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy View Post
CBS = Condition Based Service.

This means...the car monitors the driving pattern & prompts for service when it is actually due. For example, my 530d is programmed to be serviced at 15K kms but I usually get prompted around 12500 possibly due to the fact that Gurgaon has some terrible stop & go traffic!

From the car's monitor you can read out the times for engine oil change, filters, brake, brake fluid change etc.
Does this feature exists in E270?
Old 21st July 2009, 17:05   #20
BHPian

[quote=BeamerBoy;1067430]Humm...Let us first check upon the basis of engine oil changes.

Taking all this into account leaves us with a thumb rule figure of 25,000 kms per oil change. This figure is what the likes of Hyundai/Ford/Suzuki recommend in clean european climate. The biggest dent now comes with fuel quality. Again rule of thumb applies. If the sulfur content is >.05%, then the service interval must be halved. This now brings us to a 12,500 km change interval.

We go ahead and now take the tropical climate, the Asian stop & go traffic, dust & smog. This takes away your balance 2500 kms and your change interval is reduced to 10,000 kms.

From here...we next proceed to the quality of engine oils. The 10,000 kms oil change interval is applicable to an engine oil that has sufficient detergency (ability to hold soot into the body of the oil). If the detergency is lower (read poor quality oil) the oil change interval is lower...and can be as low as 5000 kms per oil change. Actually, there are so many parameters that the manufacturers use software + oil test report to itirate to a particular oil change interval recommendation.quote]

Hi beamer, Thanx for the information. Fiat Punto is now offering oil change interval of 30000 Kms in Indian conditions.

Last edited by stampro : 21st July 2009 at 17:07.
Old 15th August 2012, 01:08   #21
BHPian

Re: Different Service Schedules for Different Cars

Old threat revisted.

calender has moved on and the service intervals for a few cars have changed upto 15k. how do Auto manufacturers determine this interval ? It cannot be engine oil. I've always done at every 7,500 kms or 6-8 months depending upon my usage.
blackbeast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2012, 08:37   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
Old threat revisted.

calender has moved on and the service intervals for a few cars have changed upto 15k. how do Auto manufacturers determine this interval ? It cannot be engine oil. I've always done at every 7,500 kms or 6-8 months depending upon my usage.
Looks like I left a few questions unanswered.

Swifty2008: All I know is that CBS is available in BMW for now. A little research showed me that it is also available in Heavy Commercial Vehicles from Mercedes Benz. E270? No.

Stampro: Fiat Punto offering 30,000 Kms oil change interval!!! Is it on diesel or petrol engine? Be careful if you are up from non-metro city, move in through stop and go traffic and drive a petrol engine. The results of extended service interval may not be evident immediately. But the sludge formation and damage due to it inside the engine will show affect later on. 30,000 kms is very adventurous for India. Also, in this case stick to the oil prescribed by manufacturer.

Coming to the quoted topic, in India, for a diesel run car a 15,000 km is ideal. Petrol engines it would be safe if it is around 10,000 kms. How manufactures determine the change interval? Well, multiple parameters besides the oil. Some of them could be:

Oil Blend
Fuel used
Fuel Quality
Hot/Cold Weather
Engine itself
Drive conditions, traffic etc.

Manufacturers use drain tests to approximate the drain intervals. Obviously, one interval will not fit all. The above mentioned parameter may differ from car to car. So, the drain interval will be an approximation where about 95% of the cars (say) run without any damage. A very high change interval should be taken cautiously and oil/blend specified by the manufacturer must be adhered to.
Old 15th August 2012, 17:07   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy View Post
How manufactures determine the chge interval? Well, multiple parameters besides the oil. Some of them could be:

Oil Blend
Fuel used
Fuel Quality
Hot/Cold Weather
Engine itself
Drive conditions, traffic etc.

The above mentioned parameter may differ from car to car. So, the drain interval will be an approximation where about 95% of the cars (say) run without any damage.
Well, how does the above parameters change from car to car ( same fuel ) ? If a certain Engine can do upto 15k without an oil change, why aren't others doing the same to engine to match that. Indian market is very price sensitive to running costs. Besides, aren't these the same engines in some of the cars which has 5k interval and now 10k ? I do not know which those cars are. i'm only going by what i glanced at earlier posts in the thread.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks