Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2008, 16:50   #1
BHPian

ford ikon 1.6 timing chain noise?

i just uploaded a vid of startup and idling of my 2001 1.6.

i've been told that the timing chain tensioner *bearings* needs to be replaced. can anyone make out what's up with the car by listening to the vid?

PS: it's not a cold start up. on some days the sound of the clatter of what seems to be the timing chain is even more pronounced. i also need to change the head gasket and perhaps the piston rings (maybe a hone job) but i don't know if it's evident from the vid.

also there's a periodic *tic* sound every few seconds (again i'm not sure how much you can hear in the vid). if you can then please let me know what it might be.

Old 26th November 2008, 17:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

Check tappet clearances.
Old 26th November 2008, 17:48   #3
BHPian

that's for the tic sound right? could you make out any timing chain noise? unfortunately for some weird reason it wasn't very pronounced when i took the vid. i'll try to upload one more when i can hear it more audibly.
Old 26th November 2008, 21:32   #4
BHPian

i just noticed that the tic sound i was talking about is happening every 3-4 seconds. i noticed it around the 34th second, then 37, then 41.... etc. it's a very small sound so you'll have to pay attention.
Old 29th November 2008, 14:19   #5
BHPian

ok i just went to my mechanic (RAC) and had an oil/filter change done. he put in castrol magnatec and now there's almost no noise.

engine is much smoother and power is more crisp, where earlier it was jerking alot till the car was revved enough or weirdly enough i went easy on the throttle while accelerating. there is still a harsh after sound on cold startup. and power is definitely nowhere near stock. i will try to get a vid ASAP.

so i was talking to the mechanic and he says that the ROCAM is alot different from other engines where you can lift the valve cover (the outermost cover over the engine block) exposing the camshaft, and set the tappet clearances with a feeler gauge. he claims that the whole head has to be opened up which means a new head gasket and bolts. the tappets themselves will have to be done in the machine shop. it also means a new timing chain (which i can live with) and a new tensioner. now i've never seen a ROCAM engine opened up so i have no idea of whether he's pulling a fast one. does anyone have any idea of this? BTW two days ago, i had a chance to speak with ranjith of RAC and he said the same thing.

so another thing popped up. i told the mechanic that the car is a bit underpowered and he test drove it. i was standing and watching as he revved up the engine a bit before going. as he revved it up, i noticed a bit of water squirt out of the silencer. i thought this is sure sign of head gasket failure. when i asked him, he claimed that it was normal and that power delivery is normal (which i know it isn't). he claimed that it could be due to other reasons like the spark plugs and/or ignition coil. i'm planning to take the car down to a bosch center i heard of which is good and get a scan done. i believe it's 700 bucks and takes 15 mins. so what do you guys think - blown head gasket for sure?

on a good note, ranjith had said that the chances of serious or any damage to the ikon head at least is smaller than for many other cars.

some one plz help me by responding to the 2 queries above
Old 29th November 2008, 19:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

A very old thumb rule for 4 stroke petrol engines - after cold starting the car, when the engine slightly warms up and throws water from exhaust, then it is perfectly tuned and turning out a good FE. So don't bother and drive peacefully.

Secondly, if the head gasket is blown, open the radiator cap and look for oil slick in the water/coolant. If present, then a sure sign of blown gasket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_shadow View Post
so another thing popped up. i told the mechanic that the car is a bit underpowered and he test drove it. i was standing and watching as he revved up the engine a bit before going. as he revved it up, i noticed a bit of water squirt out of the silencer. i thought this is sure sign of head gasket failure. so what do you guys think - blown head gasket for sure?
Old 29th November 2008, 19:32   #7
BHPian

hmmm.... thanks man. i definitely need to get a few tests done including a compression check and the aforementioned scan at the bosch center. if nothing at least to have some peace of mind
Old 29th November 2008, 19:50   #8
BHPian

The sound seemed normal to me.
The timing chain can be seen when you open the cover. It is supposed to last for 240 K kms - as gleaned from various websites. There is a nice animation of the engine also - just search the forums.

OT, my engine became rougher with Magnatec, was using Shell before.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks