Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2009, 18:07   #16
vsh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
You can ask the service center to do a clutch bleed first and see if it helps, otherwise lubricating the cable system and joints will help a lil bet.

humyum has figured a DIY for the gear socket which will make it super smooth, but this he will have to update
hi
thanks for the reply. i am new to cars and want to learn more about the mahine, parts and all. can you suggest me some thread, books or website?
Old 19th August 2009, 19:29   #17
BHPian

Lol, there is nothing wrong with his car\clutch. The first gear on many gearboxes (if not all) do not have synchromesh. Someone theorized that it was a safety feature. Now that I think about it, it makes sense since adding sychromesh capability to the gear is neither technically dificult, nor expensive.

Considering how tall a second gear is compared to first, no one wants to shift into first instead of third.

As others recommended, just blip the throttle while downshifting before releasing the clutch if you are hell bent on shifting to 1st while moving. Doesnt have to be a precise blip even, as the lever will slide into first (as long as you are keeping a force on it) when the revs match (as it is falling after the blip).
Old 19th August 2009, 23:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsh View Post
i have done 23000 kms in my swift dzire vdi. shifting gear was very smooth earlier, but now it has become little harder. any dzire owners here have faced the same problem?
23000 is very low. get it checked. is it under warranty.

Quote:
You can ask the service center to do a clutch bleed first and see if it helps, otherwise lubricating the cable system and joints will help a lil bet.

humyum has figured a DIY for the gear socket which will make it super smooth, but this he will have to update
AFAIK, it will be either bleeding the clutch or lubricating the cables not both. Meaning its either hydraulic or cable based.
BTW what does Dzire have. i guess its a cable operated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonk View Post
Lol, there is nothing wrong with his car\clutch. The first gear on many gearboxes (if not all) do not have synchromesh. Someone theorized that it was a safety feature. Now that I think about it, it makes sense since adding sychromesh capability to the gear is neither technically dificult, nor expensive.

Considering how tall a second gear is compared to first, no one wants to shift into first instead of third.

As others recommended, just blip the throttle while downshifting before releasing the clutch if you are hell bent on shifting to 1st while moving. Doesnt have to be a precise blip even, as the lever will slide into first (as long as you are keeping a force on it) when the revs match (as it is falling after the blip).
In dzire all are syncromesh.
Old 19th August 2009, 23:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yeah updating right away

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsh View Post
hi
thanks for the reply. i am new to cars and want to learn more about the mahine, parts and all. can you suggest me some thread, books or website?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
23000 is very low. get it checked. is it under warranty.

AFAIK, it will be either bleeding the clutch or lubricating the cables not both. Meaning its either hydraulic or cable based.
BTW what does Dzire have. i guess its a cable operated.

In dzire all are syncromesh.
Yes, But with getting both of them done will make the gear lever butter.

Whatever i am going to say below is strictly my view, I dont know if people will agree or no

The gearbox in our cars dont need to be run in at all,its perfectly smooth and butter right from day one, Its the shifter which needs to loosen up a bit and hence the tight gearshifts in the initial kilometers of the car

In the DDIS there is an adjusment where the gearbox is connected by the linkages, That adjusment first needs to be checked and adjusted if something is wrong. It also has a bush on top of the adjustment which needs to be checked, so that it does not have any play. If it does, then there ll be good shifting sometimes and bad the other times.

Also the battery is right above the place where the linkages meet the gearbox and if battery is overfilled the acid will drop on the bushes and they are history.

Also the ball and socket joint below the gearlever is mated with extreme precesion, any abnormality in the above and you can say tata to smooth shifts.

Sometimes ( In my case) small blisters had developed on the ball and they were rubbing with the socket, making it seem like something was rubbing and then the gears where shifting. Pretty minor problem this and the solution for this is , get a file and rub the ball at the area where it touches the socket, MIND YOU, JUST RUB and smoothen it and not peel the metal off, otherwise u are in for trouble.

Also Regular lubrication of this ball and socket area with WD40 will keep it butter.

I repeat before u think something is wrong with the gearbox get all the above parameters checked and then start with the major faults

Clutch having air is also a cause of hard clutch pedal, hard gearshifts, so get the clutch bled first which is a minor 10 min job and then look into the above.
Old 20th August 2009, 10:25   #20
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Also Regular lubrication of this ball and socket area with WD40 will keep it butter.
A small query- By WD40 on this central linkage, are you going to face any trouble in the long run?

I ask this because the mechanic at my MASS, just sprayed liberal amounts of WD-40 on my Alto central linkage underneath the car at the 10,000 kms service and the shifter freed up beautifully and I have had no problems since.

Is this a good practice?
Old 20th August 2009, 10:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
A small query- By WD40 on this central linkage, are you going to face any trouble in the long run?

I ask this because the mechanic at my MASS, just sprayed liberal amounts of WD-40 on my Alto central linkage underneath the car at the 10,000 kms service and the shifter freed up beautifully and I have had no problems since.

Is this a good practice?
No problem at all sir, whenver u do think the linkages are the culprit try spraying WD40 at the right areas and i ll work. No side affects.
Old 21st May 2010, 21:57   #22
BHPian

Can i shift to 1st gear from 2nd in a moving vehicle if the speed falls to around 5-10km/hr ?
Old 22nd May 2010, 01:25   #23
Senior - BHPian

Ofcourse! but if you have driven for long you will know when to change.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks