Team-BHP - Mirrors, Convex or Flat
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Mirrors, Convex or Flat (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/4986-mirrors-convex-flat.html)

I have seen both these kinds of mirros on vehicles..
They sure must have their own advantages and down sides..
I have in my Petra all flat ones, Which creat a blind spot behind the corners. But give a good feeling of the distance between me and the one behind me.
Can experts here put in some thoughts to shed some light on the issue?

I think its always a good idea to have convex mirrors as side mirrors as they give you a wider field of view...blindspots are minimised that way. 'Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear' But you get used to judging the distance in these mirrors really quickly...i drive with convex mirrors...not had any problems with judging the distances.

Drifter

You are supposed to have convex mirrors on vehicles. Flat mirrors are a no no.

You should be able to judge distances, vehicle speed by a fair amount, but these are not to be relied on completely. A vehicle might be much closer than you think.

But then, Why manufacturers have flat mirrors as oem.. they must also have a point.. (other than cost)

i think its a little easier to see and judge through flat mirrors than convex but then again i guess you can get used to anything

rev

Strangely the CRDi comes with driver side mirror flat & passenger side convex. I prefer convex since the field of vision is much more than the flat one.

Drifter..your CRDi also has the same thing right ? or you've changed it now ?

No dude...mine came with both convex.

Drifter

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJK
Strangely
Drifter..your CRDi also has the same thing right ? or you've changed it now ?

cmon RJ,
with the kind of driving that drifter does,how do you expect his crdi to have the same set of mirriors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedsatya
cmon RJ,
with the kind of driving that drifter does,how do you expect his crdi to have the same set of mirriors.

lol: my mistake.................

hehe...my driving isnt so bad ok :p
I still retain the original mirrors on the car...no changes yet.

Drifter

I would ideally like to have convex mirrors on my petra.

would anyone know how easy or difficult it is to change from flat mirrors to convex ones? and some one in bangalore who can do that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahulmd
I would ideally like to have convex mirrors on my petra.

would anyone know how easy or difficult it is to change from flat mirrors to convex ones? and some one in bangalore who can do that?

Me too, I asked Sundaram , They, as usual say "NO"...
Trying with accessory shops.. let you know when I find one..

BTW, How about the tiny ones that can be glued to the stock mirrors?? :confused: Do they really work, I saw on one of the petras on street..

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRC
Me too, I asked Sundaram , They, as usual say "NO"...
Trying with accessory shops.. let you know when I find one..

Check out RAC in Bangalore. They may help you guys.

Thanks Rudra, Will check with RAC.

DRC, I had put on those blind spot mirrors. They are quite effective. One however has to get used to the small size of the mirror though. I had put 1 on each side. 2 months back, someone whacked one from the left side and 3 weeks back someone whacked the one on the right side!!! wonder what people would do with such convex mirrors. maybe use them as travelling shaving mirrors!!!

My Wagon R 2005 model comes with the flat ORVM, I have been desperately looking for a slightly larger convex type ORVM, specifically which comes with the new WagonR VXi but none of the accessories/spare parts shop keep it. Any WagonR owner tried any OVRM mod ?