Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2015, 20:06   #181
BHPian

Re: Forester Owners: Servicing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I know someone who had his Forester in Mumbai for sale for nearly a year. Asking price = 2 lakhs. No one came. Finally went for a little over 1 lakh.
I don't know the condition of the Forester or kms done, so I can't comment on the unfortunate incident.

I sold mine recently for 5L within three days of announcing my decision
to sell and I should admit mine was a very well kept forester. And the only
reason to sell the forester was change in my lifestyle that didn't require a
vehicle with AWD capabilities sitting in Garage. So, I gave it to
someone whom I know very well and they use it in their estates now, where it rightly belongs.

I think it is a disgrace to sell an engineering marvel for a very low price even 5L is less BTW (in a country where people sell used Bullet for 1.5L)

Infact I wanted to gift the vehicle to an automobile engineering college for studying the vehicle and use it as a demo of AWD and Boxer engine integration, if it comes to the same situation as your Friend's.
WRXXX is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 13:42   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXXX View Post
@IshaanIan Welcome to the Forester thread on team-bhp and nice to see your interest in getting a Foz, I want other owners to Chip in and here is my experience so far.

You need to be a driving enthusiast to own a forester if you ask me.

I request more experienced and mechanically inclined owners like @gotzuk @Icarusman
and @Guna to provide some valuable feedback.
Thanks for your response. I know how it is like to own a Japanese import just don't know how it is like to own a really old one. Any idea how much engine mount, bushes, suspension, timing belt etc. cost? Because most of the cars I see have done around 1 lakh kilometers and I am assuming the sellers will be leaving the replacement of these parts to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
One of my friend is wanting to sell his Forester for more than 6 months for 3-4 lacks. No luck yet........

Shubhendra
Would love to hear more details about your friend's car
Old 6th March 2015, 16:28   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Thanks for your response. I know how it is like to own a Japanese import just don't know how it is like to own a really old one. Any idea how much engine mount, bushes, suspension, timing belt etc. cost? Because most of the cars I see have done around 1 lakh kilometers and I am assuming the sellers will be leaving the replacement of these parts to me.
Strictly speaking If one is mechanically inclined to build the car then this is a very good
choice given the car is a popular car in the world car scene and in india it is available at
much less than pre-import prices :-) now.

I always sourced my parts from www.subarugenuineparts.com
and amazon/ebay/japanparts has lot of OEM alternatives for various parts
(like clutch, brake pads, hoses, belts) too.

You can try and browse the catalog yourself to get an idea of the prices for the OEM
ones which are usually expensive than the aftermarket non-performance parts.
https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html

You select Subaru Forester for year (2003-2005) to match with the foresters that were
sold here. If you have part numbers then the search is even easier.

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/

Any specific EJ20(2.0L NA Engine) parts and RHD components can be sourced from
Japan or from UK too. Some I have heard have gotten parts from Singapore too
but US might be the cheapest to buy and transport-cost is the only issue.

Various parts from Subaru Impreza (Since it also carried EJ20 Motor(NA/Turbo)
and chassis is Impreza Chassis) matches Forester too and some suspension related
components can be swapped. But research is needed.

Timing belt for the EJ20 is around 110USD I think.
WRXXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2015, 16:47   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea how much engine mount, bushes, suspension, timing belt etc. cost? Because most of the cars I see have done around 1 lakh kilometers and I am assuming the sellers will be leaving the replacement of these parts to me.
OEM parts are a little on the expensive side but have a good working life span.
Most of the regular consumables like oil/air/fuel filters, are available locally, rest can be bought easily off the web.
For engine/transmission mounts, OEM Subaru Group N stuff can be bought for decent money.
There are loads of aftermarket vendors out there too.

Buying a well maintained car, even a higher price point can work to be cheaper than buying a car which needs work.
Go in with eyes wide open and you won't be disappointed
gotzuk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 09:36   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am listing some of the parts I got replaced with the approximate cost
Front brake pads = Rs 5000
Front Brake rotors = 15000
Rear Struts = Rs 70000 (apparently front ones are Rs 20000 for a pair)
Clutch (OEM supplier brand) = Rs 12000
AC evaporator (non OEM) = Rs 15000
Driver side (front) power window motor+regulator (non OEM) = Rs 12000

BTW mine was a pristine looking car which had done just 22 k when I bought it but as you can see, it has given considerable expense maintaining it. Car may be reliable but if it is not looked after well by the previous owner, it can result in very expensive repairs. Considering that the car would be 10 years old and close to 1 lakh kms, it is going to require some attention and money.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 11:16   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
Most of the regular consumables like oil/air/fuel filters, are available locally, rest can be bought easily off the web.
This is news to me; was never able to find out which local oil filter fits the Forester. Brand/model?

Btw, great inputs from all here on servicing the Forester. I want to sell my Scoobie but can't find the energy to go thru the hassle...
Old 7th March 2015, 11:39   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcarusMan View Post

Btw, great inputs from all here on servicing the Forester. I want to sell my Scoobie but can't find the energy to go thru the hassle...
If you can't really go thru the hassle, one of the option (I dont know how good) is to go for an exchange with a new car.
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2015, 08:48   #188
BHPian

Quote:
This is news to me; was never able to find out which local oil filter fits the Forester. Brand/model?
You can source the Tokyo Roki OEM filters from Anil Shukla at Mars India, Mumbai ( 9 3 2 0 1 3 3 3 Five One ).
I have bought parts for my Forester from him over the phone since the past four years or so and never had a problem.
Filters are pricey though, ~900 each.

The oil filter from the first generation Honda City 1.5 fits our car ( so does the one from the Santro) but the internal specs are different.
I have used it in the past though, with no apparent trouble. I use mineral oil and change every 4-5000 kms.
gotzuk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 11:00   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let me know what details are required, will share with you !

Shubhendra
Old 9th March 2015, 23:19   #190
Senior - BHPian

AC on my Forester (actually the blower) was making unusual sound when set to higher speed. I took it to the AC guy and we found that the cabin filter was torn and clogged. He said he is going to put a filter meant for Innova and I was surprised that it fit very well.
Does anyone know what should be the vent temperature? AC gets cut off at around 9.5 degree and even when I checked it with my hand, it did not feel cool enough.
AC guy says he can put a thermostat which can be adjusted where we can set the cut off temp still lower. Any views on this advice?
Old 27th March 2015, 16:34   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Do let me know when you eventually come down to it. I am officially on the lookout for a car and I would be really grateful if anyone can let me know if they are looking to sell a Forester or know someone who is.

Thanks
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 12:36   #192
Senior - BHPian

Hi all
My Forester is due for a service. Since I wanted to get it done outside, I was thinking about the consumables, especially the oil filter. A guy who used to service the Forester in Trident Chevy says the oil filter of Beat will fit the Forester. Any views on this?
Old 9th April 2015, 19:10   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Hi all
My Forester is due for a service. Since I wanted to get it done outside, I was thinking about the consumables, especially the oil filter. A guy who used to service the Forester in Trident Chevy says the oil filter of Beat will fit the Forester. Any views on this?
Don't know about the oil filter, but the Beat's cabin air/pollen filter fits the Forester (!). Mr. Zabi at Trident Chevy cut out the Beat's air filter and shoehorned it into the Forester's filter case. Neat jugaad, though I won't recommend it!
Old 10th May 2015, 15:52   #194
Senior - BHPian

Anyone have a contact at Trident Chevrolet who can tell me a little more about a car that I am about to close a deal on? Car looks neat and while being driven regularly it has only completed 55k kms owner claims it has been serviced at Trident in Kalyannagar just wanted to get a little more info on the car from someone who dealt with the car's service
Old 10th May 2015, 19:29   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Anyone have a contact at Trident Chevrolet who can tell me a little more about a car that I am about to close a deal on? Car looks neat and while being driven regularly it has only completed 55k kms owner claims it has been serviced at Trident in Kalyannagar just wanted to get a little more info on the car from someone who dealt with the car's service
Finally, we get to know about your 'special' vehicle which will be coming 'soon'. Isn't it the one you had mentioned probably a month ago, not disclosing the name?

Best of luck. I think you are lucky to have found a Forester for sale. It's such a great car. Considering that you now own a garage, maintainence won't be a bother, right?

Cheers,
Neel

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks