Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2018, 15:14   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: Forester Owners: Servicing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arighna.dutta View Post
Hi Forester owners, I am eyeing a Forester for future purchase. What would be the key points to watch out for. There are few threads for international market, but would be great to have one for Indian landscape too. Just capturing few as examples :

1. Check for Engine light on - if yes, then what to look out for.
2. what to check in 4WD system.
.. so on

Thanks!!
CEL can be for any number of reasons like minor sensor malfunctions. Simply check if the engine is running smoothly, condition of oil, residue in exhaust, if it is revving freely etc.

There is a lovely Forester in Kerala up for sale if you are interested I can pm you the details.
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2018, 21:25   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arighna.dutta View Post
Hi Forester owners, I am eyeing a Forester for future purchase. What would be the key points to watch out for.
Basically, check everything . Forester you are getting likely to be 15 years old with close to 1 lakh kilometers on the odo.

I think some of the common parts which may have problems are:
  • Rear struts (mostly requires replacement)
  • Clutch (plate and hydraulics)
  • AC (evaporator coil for leakages)
  • Power window motors(driver side one is more prone to go bad)
  • AC/Alternator belts (mostly requires replacement)
  • Front suspension (lower arm, bushings, links, ball joint, CV joint)
  • Wheel bearings
  • Radiator (for any leakages)
  • Starter motor, ignition coil
  • Gear stick (for excessive play)
Surprisingly(and luckily), engine and the AWD mechanicals are least problematic in-spite of being fairly complex.
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2018, 11:17   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
There is a lovely Forester in Kerala up for sale if you are interested I can pm you the details.
Sure, please pm me the details. Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Basically, check everything .
  • Rear struts (mostly requires replacement)
  • Clutch (plate and hydraulics)
  • AC (evaporator coil for leakages)
  • Power window motors(driver side one is more prone to go bad)
  • AC/Alternator belts (mostly requires replacement)
  • Front suspension (lower arm, bushings, links, ball joint, CV joint)
  • Wheel bearings
  • Radiator (for any leakages)
  • Starter motor, ignition coil
  • Gear stick (for excessive play)
Surprisingly(and luckily), engine and the AWD mechanicals are least problematic in-spite of being fairly complex.
Thanks for the list, now I have something to begin with.

Thanks,
AD
Old 4th September 2018, 10:41   #319
Senior - BHPian

The car in Kerala that I had mentioned got sold hence did not PM you the number arighna.dutta.

Anyway folks it is now time for me to select tyres for my car. What is everyone's opinion on Yoko Geolandar AT? The options I have are Continental conti4x4contact, Geolandar SUV, and Geolandar AT. The ATs are the most hardcore of the bunch and I thought it would be nice to get some tyres that can take a lot of abuse (this is my first SUV of sorts). I am used to tyres like potenzas on my Wagonr and Yoko decibels on my Kizashi. Do the geolandar ATs affect handling that much of does the low center of gravity and symmetrical awd still help the car shine on the road?
Old 10th September 2018, 14:44   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Anyway folks it is now time for me to select tyres for my car. What is everyone's opinion on Yoko Geolandar AT? The options I have are Continental conti4x4contact, Geolandar SUV, and Geolandar AT. The ATs are the most hardcore of the bunch and I thought it would be nice to get some tyres that can take a lot of abuse (this is my first SUV of sorts). I am used to tyres like potenzas on my Wagonr and Yoko decibels on my Kizashi. Do the geolandar ATs affect handling that much of does the low center of gravity and symmetrical awd still help the car shine on the road?
Are you upsizing or sticking with stock configuration. I know you liked the setup on my vehicle so was just curious to know.
Old 10th September 2018, 14:48   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is everyone's opinion on Yoko Geolandar AT? The options I have are Continental conti4x4contact, Geolandar SUV, and Geolandar AT. The ATs are the most hardcore of the bunch and I thought it would be nice to get some tyres that can take a lot of abuse (this is my first SUV of sorts).
I have Geolander AT since about a year. They are really comfortable. There is a bit of a road noise (more like humming, which I like it )
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 14:49   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj981 View Post
Are you upsizing or sticking with stock configuration. I know you liked the setup on my vehicle so was just curious to know.
Sticking to stock for now. I have burned through my funds for this year. Maybe in a year or two's time I'll be looking into a 2.5 turbo swap and then I'll get new bigger wheels and tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I have Geolander AT since about a year. They are really comfortable. There is a bit of a road noise (more like humming, which I like it )
Yeah decided to go in for the geolandar at itself. Road noise at speed is anyway something I need to get used to I think there's a lot of wind noise coming from the gussets and wing mirrors as well. I have bought 20 kilos of damping sheets and coated the underbody with black rust protection let's see how much of a difference that makes

Last edited by IshaanIan : 10th September 2018 at 14:51.
Old 12th September 2018, 08:19   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah decided to go in for the geolandar at itself. Road noise at speed is anyway something I need to get used to I think there's a lot of wind noise coming from the gussets and wing mirrors as well. I have bought 20 kilos of damping sheets and coated the underbody with black rust protection let's see how much of a difference that makes
When I had the forester for two times in a row had Bridgestone D694 A/T Revo, loved it (although handling suffers a bit with AT tires).

@IshaanIan wind noise seeping from the gaps near rearview is a known feature/defect ;-) Was there in WRX and in Forester as well. Of course you can fix it but I kind of always worked it around by lowering the window and bring it up again. If the rubber is harder then there is no choice but to go for replacement. I am not sure if it is worth the trouble.
WRXXX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 12:19   #324
Senior - BHPian

Guys quick query, Everything is kinda done with my car, now what about insurance? I went onto sites like policybazar and coverfox and they are saying they have nothing for this car. What do I do?
Attached Thumbnails
Forester Owners: Servicing?-mvimg_20181125_141955.jpg  

Old 3rd December 2018, 14:02   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys quick query, Everything is kinda done with my car, now what about insurance? I went onto sites like policybazar and coverfox and they are saying they have nothing for this car. What do I do?
That is strange. Do you have the old policy? Has already crossed 15 years?
Old 10th March 2019, 18:51   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Sticking to stock for now. I have burned through my funds for this year. Maybe in a year or two's time I'll be looking into a 2.5 turbo swap and then I'll get new bigger wheels and tyres.

I am using the Geolandar A/T tires for a while now and they run marvellously. you will not regret the investment.
Old 10th March 2019, 21:25   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balderash_12 View Post
I am using the Geolandar A/T tires for a while now and they run marvellously. you will not regret the investment.
Thanks for the feedback I too find the Geolandar A/Ts to be quite an astonishing set of tyres (no experience with competitor products from other tyre manufacturers) I am able to go off the shoulder in order to avoid buses and other village morons who are overtaking dangerously on narrow state highways, the tyres soak up everything off the road and the Forester maintains composure at high speeds on bad surfaces however I miss the kind of grip you can only get from a sporty tyre on smooth roads. I am too used to running sticky tyres with stiff sidewalls I guess I will have to buy something in-between perhaps more comfort oriented or else, buy sport tyres and aftermarket rims (16 inch bronze TE-37s would be a dream on this car I feel ) and keep swapping the wheels based on the purpose of travel.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 10th March 2019 at 21:26.
Old 17th March 2019, 13:02   #328
th2
BHPian

Quote:
Road noise at speed is anyway something I need to get used to I think there's a lot of wind noise coming from the gussets and wing mirrors as well. I have bought 20 kilos of damping sheets and coated the underbody with black rust protection let's see how much of a difference that makes
Came across this fix on youtube -

I have not tried it myself. A bunch of similar videos come up if you search for "forester wind noise fix" so I guess the solution does work.
th2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 08:19   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by th2 View Post
Came across this fix on Youtube -

I have not tried it myself. A bunch of similar videos come up if you search for "forester wind noise fix" so I guess the solution does work.
Unless it is a continuous problem, don't fix it.
What I have seen is, it is weather dependent and you can workaround by slightly lowering the glass and bringing it up again. Like the video says it is due to the gap in the upper rubber. Solution in the video is pretty neat as well.
But I didn't have to do it for both of my cars (Just lowering and bringing up the window used to always work)
Old 24th March 2019, 09:33   #330
BHPian

Guys a quick query.
Can you please give me a good garage in Bangalore (preferably near Hennur/Kothanur) where the mechanics have good knowledge of Foresters? Need to get the timing belt replaced urgently. Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks