Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2013, 13:14   #76
BHPian

re: Forester Owners: Servicing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcarusMan View Post
Very happy with my Foz. Perfect driving position + great steering feel + stable and planted on-road manners + huge & flexible cargo area. I get 7.5-8 kmpl in the city on Shell. Only real gripe is unsettling body noise (not rattle) on rough/uneven patches. I guess I'll have to live with this...
Absolute +1

IIRC you have Geolander ATs right? If it is they are supposed be noisy.

What's the FE figures on the highway? Mine gives around 11.5-12kmpl
and Average ~10.75kmpl (city and Highway combined)

Just the City FE figures will be somewhat closer to what you are indicating.

Quote:
Oh, today, I fixed a pair of cheapo LED lights ($8 from dx.com) for the parking/brake lights. The original incandescent brake lights conked out (though the parking light filaments are still good) and of course, Trident CASS does not have them. A bit brighter than stock. Let's see how they fare...
Also try http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/ they seem to have free shipping.
LED is the way to go for something other than main lights and fog lights...

Hope there are no compatability issues.... installing LEDs
Old 6th June 2013, 13:49   #77
Senior - BHPian

Some updates on my Forester:
I had taken my car to the workshop for fixing the AC issue (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...c-problem.html)
At that time I also instructed them to check the suspension as the ride had become bit bumpy. I am told that one of the rear shock absorber is leaking. They tell me that fixing a set of new shocks (along with link rod) costs around 70 K! I am inclined to leave it like this but I am thinking of picking up an aftermarket kit (after making sure it fits) like this one if I happen to travel abroad: http://www.ebay.com/itm/KYB-GR-2-STR...045241&vxp=mtr.
Any thoughts?
Old 6th June 2013, 21:33   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
At that time I also instructed them to check the suspension as the ride had become bit bumpy. I am told that one of the rear shock absorber is leaking. They tell me that fixing a set of new shocks (along with link rod) costs around 70 K! I am inclined to leave it like this but I am thinking of picking up an aftermarket kit (after making sure it fits) like this one if I happen to travel abroad: http://www.ebay.com/itm/KYB-GR-2-STR...045241&vxp=mtr.
Any thoughts?
70k for a pair of rear shock absorbers + link rods is *shocking*. If it were me, after picking up my jaw from the floor, I'd go ahead and order an aftermarket kit.

Heck, if I had 70 big ones to burn, I'd get 4 (front + rear) Ironman4x4 Forester 35mm lift springs + 4 KYB struts to match and FedEx them to India. Even after customs at ~30%, I should have enough in hand to pay the garage for their pains.

Amazon has the KYBs too, sold and shipped direct from Amazon. Shipping on that Ebay link looks significantly higher than Amazon. But of course, if you're picking them up yourself it's a different matter...

Apart from perusing the FSM, I'd look closely at the part numbers from opposedforces.com for front and rear suspension, cross-check with what's shown in amayama.com for those part numbers just to make sure the description/label is correct.
IcarusMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2013, 21:41   #79
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
I had taken my car to the workshop for fixing the AC issue (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...c-problem.html)
Any thoughts?
Why not hunt up Forester spares in Australia/ NZ via the net? These vehicles are super popular thereabouts! Even with shipping and import duties I dont think the price will hit 70k.
Old 6th June 2013, 23:13   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apart from perusing the FSM, I'd look closely at the part numbers from opposedforces.com for front and rear suspension, cross-check with what's shown in amayama.com for those part numbers just to make sure the description/label is correct.
Very useful links, thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Why not hunt up Forester spares in Australia/ NZ via the net? These vehicles are super popular thereabouts! Even with shipping and import duties I dont think the price will hit 70k.
Surprisingly Subaru parts are the cheapest in the US.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 05:13   #81
BANNED

Quote:
Very useful links, thanks

Surprisingly Subaru parts are the cheapest in the US.
Not surprising at all. My pals tell me that many people like the Subaru in the US and Canada on account of its rugged reliability.
It is quite popular in the countryside in England as well so maybe you might wish to check the prices of parts there too.
Old 8th June 2013, 12:01   #82
BHPian

Quote:
My AC has stopped working again. This time it doesn't seem to be a gas leak but the compressor itself is not running.
Quote:
Commenting on this since I also have a leak issue with A/C. Since Mr. Zabi at CASS charged the AC gas back in January, cooling has been absolutely fine. This, despite the *compressor* oil leak from the low-pressure hose <--> compressor joint that I've mentioned in the thread earlier. My AC is on 95% + of the time. Quite surprising, since this oil leak is quite visually apparent and never fails to reappear a few days after I've wiped the oil clean around the joint.

Why don't you try replacing all the seals/O-rings at the tubing/pipe joints. From my own research, this will involve (1) an O-ring each for the low + high pressure pipe joints and (2) 2 O-rings/seals for the condenser-pipe joints. These O-rings are real cheap even at Subarugenuineparts/Amayama ($1 to $4 or similar). Expectedly, the FSM recommends changing these o-rings when servicing. 8-9 year old rubber seals would easily have reached end-of-life by now...

This is the route I'm going to go after gas leaks out completely from my AC system. Suggesting this for your Foz since leak detection with dyes has failed to detect the leak. Also, I read somewhere that in the Foz if there's no gas in the system, compressor will not turn.

By the way, when I got AC gas recharged, Mr. Zabi had an ingenious solution for replacing the cabin air filter with one cut out from a brand-new Chevy Beat cabin filter Works perfectly!

Speaking of *effective* jugaads, this week I got the worn-out rear wiper blade replaced with that from a Bosch wiper for a locally available car (not sure which one). This bracket though of the same size will not fit on the Foz - you need to get the rubber out. Rs. 250 and works perfectly too!

I wonder what Jugaad CASS is using for the engine oil filter. It's highly unlikely they stock any part for the Forester!
IcarusMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2013, 12:21   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why don't you try replacing all the seals/O-rings at the tubing/pipe joints. From my own research, this will involve (1) an O-ring each for the low + high pressure pipe joints and (2) 2 O-rings/seals for the condenser-pipe joints. These O-rings are real cheap even at Subarugenuineparts/Amayama ($1 to $4 or similar). Expectedly, the FSM recommends changing these o-rings when servicing. 8-9 year old rubber seals would easily have reached end-of-life by now...
If the problem come up again (it should at some point, since they have not found a solution), probably that's what I will do. It may be a good idea to order these parts and keep them ready.
Old 9th June 2013, 14:36   #84
BHPian

Quote:

Speaking of *effective* jugaads, this week I got the worn-out rear wiper blade replaced with that from a Bosch wiper for a locally available car (not sure which one). This bracket though of the same size will not fit on the Foz - you need to get the rubber out. Rs. 250 and works perfectly too!
Sorry if this distracts the thread from the main topic which is more serious...

Any properly sized (19 and 22 inch for the front I suppose) Bosch tropical rubber wiper blades should be a good replacement. I did mine a while ago
by ordering it from autobulbs.co.uk the local ones should be equally good.
Old 2nd September 2013, 16:29   #85
BHPian

Re: Forester Owners: Servicing?

Congrats IcarusMan for getting a stable ground for forester related discussions...
Old 23rd September 2013, 21:46   #86
BHPian

So, I noticed the coolant level to be low on the Foz. (I religiously check the engine oil level, but haven't been so diligent with the coolant level...). The manual recommends "Subaru Conditioner". On the SF forums, a "non-silicate, non-phosphate and non-amine" type coolant appears to be the way to go for after-market coolants. Popped down to the local Shell bunk, and they had this BASF Glysantin G30 and G48, which according to the net, fulfills the above criteria. And me being me, I checked in with my contact at Trident CASS, and I was told they use "ELF" coolant for the Fozzie. I give due credit to the Internet "voices" who say a coolant is just water + additives. At the same time, I'd not like to blithely dismiss the Subaru engineers who recommend "Subaru Conditioner" (perhaps because of the unique qualities of the dual head boxer aluminium engine?) I'm inclined to go for a full flush and refilling with this Glysantin 30 (apparently also endorsed by Rangies and Ferraris) but before that, opinions from our esteemed members (Fozzies and engine experts/afficionados and experts alike...)...
Old 24th September 2013, 10:58   #87
Senior - BHPian

@IcarusMan, suggest that you post this on general tech section also.
Old 3rd October 2013, 09:54   #88
BANNED

A nice Forester that I saw while walking back to my hotel last evening in Stockholm...

Forester Owners: Servicing?-image1339488218.jpg
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2013, 10:34   #89
Senior - BHPian

Ended up changing engine oil @shell outlet; Was it bad decision

Yesterday I went to fill the petrol @shell bunk and as usual they offered to check the engine oil and coolant level. They showed me that engine oil level was very low it was very dark (like burnt)and recommended it to be changed immediately. Coolant level was low as well.
Since they said they can change it in 5-10 minutes, I decided to get it done as I did not want take risk of continue driving the car in that condition.
Only once they begun the job I realized:
  • It will have to be just changing oil without changing the filter
  • I end up paying more since I need to buy cans and they wont sell in bulk
Later when I mentioned this to one of my friend, he asked me how they can change the oil when the engine is still hot.

Questions are:
  • Is it really a bad idea to change oil when engine is hot? Why is Shell offering such service in that case?
  • Should I still go ahead and get the filter changed?
  • Why does engine oil and coolant level go down in the first place assuming there are no leaks)?
Old 20th November 2013, 10:39   #90
Team-BHP Support

Always change oil when the engine is hot so that it flows out easily.

It goes without say ing that the filter needs changing also.

Low oil levels can mean wear or leakage or even poor compression leading to oil getting burnt
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed