Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2012, 20:01   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Forester Owners: Servicing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXXX View Post
But those of us who have it, perfectly understand what it is meant for
Where are you getting your Forester serviced?
Old 27th November 2012, 09:36   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Where are you getting your Forester serviced?
So far its been Sundaram, I don't know where it will be next.
The fact that my usage has reduced drastically has and this has increased my service interval to more than an year. And I just finished my 60k service and Sundaram shut doors!!

Guna, where are you getting your Foz serviced?
Old 27th November 2012, 13:45   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Guna, where are you getting your Foz serviced?
I also haven't got it serviced after Sundaram got closed. I have been planning to take my car to Trident.
Old 27th November 2012, 21:02   #34
BHPian

Got my "new", pre-owned Forester serviced at Trident a few days after bringing it home. Engine oil change, decarbonizing (not totally convinced about its usefulness, but the SA, a nice chap, made a good case for it + wanted to start off with these guys on the right foot, this being a Forester) + brake servicing. The damage: Rs. 8081.00. I actually went and met the SA there before I put my money down on the Foz. Took me down to their yard where I saw 3 Foresters currently getting serviced. This increased my confidence about their ability to service the Subaru (or should it have been the opposite seeing that they look like they've been there some time, including one with a beacon).

@Guna and others: Thanks for aiding in the decision process. Finally bit the bullet; time will tell if it was a wise decision. For now, am loving it, heavy clutch and all!

The tailgate struts are shot in my Forester. Ordered a pair online from the US after fruitlessly waiting for a quote from Trident. Hopefully, the customs people will not slap a bomb on top of the high shipping costs.

I_K_A_R_U_S
IcarusMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 11:04   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcarusMan View Post
Got my "new", pre-owned Forester serviced at Trident a few days after bringing it home. Engine oil change, decarbonizing (not totally convinced about its usefulness, but the SA, a nice chap, made a good case for it + wanted to start off with these guys on the right foot, this being a Forester) + brake servicing.

I_K_A_R_U_S
IcarusMan,

Did you have to replace the brakepads? Did you buy them from the US or here? I usually stock Fuel filter, Oil filter, Brake pads and belts and Cabin air filter. And I bought them here : http://www.subarugenuineparts.com/ and bring them along with me during my US trips(as and when I go). Local dealers might charge something like 30% extra over the US price and that is totally acceptable during emergency.

I agree with you... I don't know what usefulness this "decarbonizing" is?
I have never gotten it done so far..and car runs just fine without any issues. May be more experienced people on the forum should comment.
Old 28th November 2012, 20:05   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Did you have to replace the brakepads? Did you buy them from the US or here? I usually stock Fuel filter, Oil filter, Brake pads and belts and Cabin air filter. And I bought them here : http://www.subarugenuineparts.com/ and bring them along with me during my US trips(as and when I go). Local dealers might charge something like 30% extra over the US price and that is totally acceptable during emergency.
Brakepads were not replaced. The brakes have enough bite as is. Not entirely sure what this "brake servicing" comprises of, but on the receipt, "brake cleaner" is listed at Rs. 101.53. I see that they also replaced the oil filter (Rs. 726.64).

That's some useful info about repair/maintenance parts. 30% extra over US prices is quite reasonable. Fact is, even for "mature" Subaru markets such as US and AUS, buying from SASS is expensive (the quotes I got from some dealers in Perth, OZ for clutch + tailgate struts verged on the ridiculous). It looks like the third party aftermarket retailers are where the honest prices are, so long as you're sure the part will fit.

Quote:
I agree with you... I don't know what usefulness this "decarbonizing" is?
I have never gotten it done so far..and car runs just fine without any issues. May be more experienced people on the forum should comment.
Yeah, I got suckered into this I guess. Got it done once for my Alto. Didn't notice any difference then, or now in the Subaru. Receipt says (1) Bardhal carbon&choke cleaner at Rs. 59.95 and (2) Decarbonizing diesel at Rs. 1615.72.

I_K_A_R_U_S
Old 28th November 2012, 23:29   #37
Senior - BHPian

Finally taking my Forester to Trident for service tomorrow. I will update my experience after the service is done.
Here is long list of niggles and let me see ho many will be fixed
  • Need to find out how rats are entering the cabin
  • Investigate if any cables are damaged
  • Clutch feels bit weak
  • AC is not functional (recent development)
  • Grinding sound when brake is applied,
  • Doesn't slot in to reverse gear easily (needs a bit of forward momentum first)
  • Need to check how the welding on the cracked exhaust pipe is holding and what do they advice
Old 29th November 2012, 06:49   #38
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcarusMan
Got my "new", pre-owned Forester serviced at Trident a few days after bringing it home. Engine oil change, decarbonizing (not totally convinced about its usefulness, but the SA, a nice chap, made a good case for it + wanted to start off with these guys on the right foot, this being a Forester) + brake servicing. The damage: Rs. 8081.00. I actually went and met the SA there before I put my money down on the Foz. Took me down to their yard where I saw 3 Foresters currently getting serviced. This increased my confidence about their ability to service the Subaru (or should it have been the opposite seeing that they look like they've been there some time, including one with a beacon).

@Guna and others: Thanks for aiding in the decision process. Finally bit the bullet; time will tell if it was a wise decision. For now, am loving it, heavy clutch and all!

The tailgate struts are shot in my Forester. Ordered a pair online from the US after fruitlessly waiting for a quote from Trident. Hopefully, the customs people will not slap a bomb on top of the high shipping costs.

I_K_A_R_U_S
Trident generally has a decent rep so you can go there with peace of mind.
May I ask where you bought your Foz and what colour it is?
Old 29th November 2012, 08:54   #39
BHPian

Quote:

That's some useful info about repair/maintenance parts. 30% extra over US prices is quite reasonable. Fact is, even for "mature" Subaru markets such as US and AUS, buying from SASS is expensive (the quotes I got from some dealers in Perth, OZ for clutch + tailgate struts verged on the ridiculous). It looks like the third party aftermarket retailers are where the honest prices are, so long as you're sure the part will fit.

These are orginal parts from Subaru japan, so as long as your forester is of the right model (Mine is the one they call the 2003 year model) it will fit.

There could be other dealers from UK too (Like Chemm Subaru I think) but
it is better to check price on the websites beforehand.

Typically Brakepads last for around 25-30k kms depending on the usage.

Well, enjoy your forester!

Quote:
Finally taking my Forester to Trident for service tomorrow. I will update my experience after the service is done.
Here is long list of niggles and let me see ho many will be fixed
  • Clutch feels bit weak
  • Doesn't slot in to reverse gear easily (needs a bit of forward momentum first)
  • Need to check how the welding on the cracked exhaust pipe is holding and what do they advice
Guna,
If you are talking about rats, then definitely there is chance of a cut wire to the AC switch or something. Also, do check if the AC belt is cut (Although this not so easy for the rats but can happen as it did for my alternator belt).

About the Grinding sound: how old are the brake pads? Is the Brake pedal pulsing when you brake? Are the rotors clean?

Reverse gear problem: You don't want to state it unless you have tried all you can. I have found that reverse gear especially requires you to slot in a very smooth and precise way and absolutely no forcing required. I have tried all tricks but only one that really works.

At this moment I don't know if I can explain the technique in English yet.. I am sorry!!

Last edited by navin : 29th November 2012 at 09:49.
WRXXX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 23:48   #40
BHPian

Shankar Sir,

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Trident generally has a decent rep so you can go there with peace of mind.
Good to know. Impressed by their professionalism (and courtesy) so far. (Thanks, Mr. D!)

Quote:
May I ask where you bought your Foz and what colour it is?
DodgyDog . White.

You're spot-on about DD; lucky to come out unscathed (just barely...).
IcarusMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2012, 00:13   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Well, enjoy your forester!
Thanks very much, WRXX. Happy that I chose this over a pre-owned Civic A/T that I was originally on the hunt for. Beats having to figure out the physics when a tall hump, low-hanging body, dampers and gravity converge!

AC is very weak and does not cool enough in hot sun. Blowers are fine but cool air only in no. 1 position. Need to get this checked soon.
Old 30th November 2012, 03:01   #42
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcarusMan
Shankar Sir,

DodgyDog . White.

You're spot-on about DD; lucky to come out unscathed (just barely...).
I guess you would have met and interacted with bald-pated, bespectacled Jack who runs the show then?
Am glad you came out with your skin intact. If ever there was a pirate, there is a shining example of one.
Old 30th November 2012, 10:28   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks very much, WRXX. Happy that I chose this over a pre-owned Civic A/T that I was originally on the hunt for. Beats having to figure out the physics when a tall hump, low-hanging body, dampers and gravity converge!
You are welcome, and I am very sure you will enjoy it!

Quote:
AC is very weak and does not cool enough in hot sun. Blowers are fine but cool air only in no. 1 position. Need to get this checked soon.
There is a cabin air filter that needs replacing every 15k I think, that changes the cooling drastically. This air filter is right behind the glovebox. Hope you can try replacing that first. And it improves the air quality in the cabin too.

But cool air only in "1" position tells me it could be more than just the air filter, could be electrical too.
WRXXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2012, 11:55   #44
Senior - BHPian

I got the car delivered after the service yesterday.
Bill came to Rs 17000+. Overhauling the AC has contributed to the significant chunk of the bill.
I was shocked when they quoted rs 14000 (this costs $70)for the front brake pads and they recommended even the disk to be replaced which costs another 14000.
Quote:
  • Clutch feels bit weak
Quote:
Guna,
If you are talking about rats, then definitely there is chance of a cut wire to the AC switch or something. Also, do check if the AC belt is cut (Although this not so easy for the rats but can happen as it did for my alternator belt).

About the Grinding sound: how old are the brake pads? Is the Brake pedal pulsing when you brake? Are the rotors clean?

Reverse gear problem: You don't want to state it unless you have tried all you can. I have found that reverse gear especially requires you to slot in a very smooth and precise way and absolutely no forcing required. I have tried all tricks but only one that really works.
@WRX, looks like there are no cut wires. But I guess one needs to open the trims to check all the wires.
Grinding sound was due to the worn out pads which has also damaged the disk according to them. As of now I am thinking of getting the desk machined.
Reverse gear problem has disappeared now and even the fwd gears feel very smooth.

Overall I am happy with the quality of the service at Trident Chevy(expect the quotation part)

Last edited by Guna : 1st December 2012 at 12:02.
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2012, 14:48   #45
BHPian

Quote:
I got the car delivered after the service yesterday.
Bill came to Rs 17000+. Overhauling the AC has contributed to the significant chunk of the bill.
I was shocked when they quoted rs 14000 (this costs $70)for the front brake pads and they recommended even the disk to be replaced which costs another 14000.
Guna, thanks for the report. Would you mind sharing the cost breakup for the AC overhauling? I also need to get the AC serviced soon.

Most Viewed