Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2005, 13:00   #1
VIV

Abs For Palio 1.6 Gtx

Hi Guys,

I drive a Palio 1.6 GTX am not happy with the braking at high speeds.The car also goes off track when brakes are applied at high speeds on a slightly wet surface.

I also drive a Merc C-Class Kompressor and can make out the difference with and without ABS.

Can anyone do a thorough job on fitting an ABS unit with EBD for the 1.6GTX.

Vivek
Old 11th April 2005, 13:38   #2
BHPian

the only people who could possibly help you out is Fiat themselves. Try going for a wider rubber. That helps a lot. I have experienced the jittery moments first hand while braking hard from 175kmph! almost lost the rear end as i tried steering to avoid the truck in front of me.

now with wider rubbers the dreadful wheel locks are non-existant. Though a ABS still would be better and help you steer...

what rubbers do you have on your GTX? I have 195/60 yokohoma.
Old 11th April 2005, 13:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Fitting the ABS should be done by authorised people only. And frankly its too much of a hassle to put ABS in the car and i doubt fiat would be ready to do it.

I agree a change to fatter good quality rubber should solve your problems to a certain extent.

Drifter
Old 11th April 2005, 14:31   #4
BANNED

if u do this in bombay i doubt they will take the work even but ure in bangy so dont know the network there. should cost u a bomb to do all this what kind of rubber are u running it on ? is it stock or have u put aftermarket ones.
Old 12th April 2005, 13:46   #5
BHPian

i dont think fiat will take up the retrofit of ABS on the palio. I had asked whether they would do it for my petra 1.6. ITs apparently a very tricky job to retrofit. best to live with it.

put in wider tyres that should improve things a LOT. try 195/60R14.

btw, i did a HUGE lockup from 60kmph (!!!!)with my petra wearing 195/60R14 shoes. the car came to a stand still and smoke from the burning rubber on the tyres overtook the car!!!! everyone else on the road stopped and was staring at us (me and the car ;-) )

I also screwed up the wheel balancing by sort of flat spotting the tyres and had to get them rebalanced to get rid of the vibration that was filtering in through the steering....

btw, how did i lockup at 60?
i was indecisive about whether i would get the signal or not and decided to go for it, since there was no one in front of me. just as i was reaching the lights it turned red and i decided to stop since:
1. there was a huge behind me
2. the cars starting from the next signal would screech off in no time since there was a huge gap in front of me
Old 12th April 2005, 15:17   #6
VIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulmd
i dont think fiat will take up the retrofit of ABS on the palio. I had asked whether they would do it for my petra 1.6. ITs apparently a very tricky job to retrofit. best to live with it.

put in wider tyres that should improve things a LOT. try 195/60R14.

btw, i did a HUGE lockup from 60kmph (!!!!)with my petra wearing 195/60R14 shoes. the car came to a stand still and smoke from the burning rubber on the tyres overtook the car!!!! everyone else on the road stopped and was staring at us (me and the car ;-) )

I also screwed up the wheel balancing by sort of flat spotting the tyres and had to get them rebalanced to get rid of the vibration that was filtering in through the steering....

btw, how did i lockup at 60?
i was indecisive about whether i would get the signal or not and decided to go for it, since there was no one in front of me. just as i was reaching the lights it turned red and i decided to stop since:
1. there was a huge behind me
2. the cars starting from the next signal would screech off in no time since there was a huge gap in front of me
Hey Rahul,

Lock up at 60 must have been cool man.Well,just curious,why did you not go for 185/60 tyres for your Petra?Is there a big difference in the ride quality and handling having fitted the 195/60?

Do you recommend Bridgestone or Goodyear?

Cheers
Vivek
Old 13th April 2005, 02:09   #7
Team-BHP Support

Hi VIV,

You might want to get your wheel alignment (and balancing) checked. That might help the problem a bit.
How many km has your car done?

cya
R
Old 13th April 2005, 10:13   #8
VIV

Hi Rehaan,

I get the wheels aligned every 5000 km.The problem here is,there is no traction control system for the car and the original tyres spec do not match with the power output of the car.

I guess I need to go for wider tyres like 195/65 G3.

Thanks man.

Viv
Old 15th April 2005, 12:48   #9
BHPian

Hey Viv,

The choice of 195/60 over 185/65 was following my gut feel that all tyres are about 2 sizes less than what they should be in indian cars. Eg zen is better with 165/70R12 than with 145/80R12

And i completely agree with you on the lack of traction control system. I felt a bit of wheel spin in the wet with stock tyres of 175/70 R14 in the wet while shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. This was on the first night when i was not even revving the engine too much!

So 2 days later I was putting in 195/60 R 14. If you are upgrading, I would suggest stick to 195/60R14 and not 195/65R14, since the 195/60 itself has a slightly bigger outer dia than the stock.

Between Goodyear and Bridgestone, I would suggest Goodyear. Rationale? I dont know!! There are a lot of people bad mouthing both bridgestone and michelin tubeless tyres (about side walls going weak and tearing). however i have not heard too many bad things about goodyear.

Also check out Federal Tyres. They are apparently hot in Australia. I have also used them for about 15500 Kms on my petra and 12k kms on my zen. am very happy with the grip in the dry, the wet AND on gravel. I have done a 100kmph+ blast on a gravel track once without the other 3 passengers s***ing their load ;-)

How old is your Palio? How many Kms have you done on it?.

Regards,
Rahul
Old 15th April 2005, 13:56   #10
BHPian

Go for the wider tyres. 195/60 should be fine. i use the same. they offer great traction too - couldn get the wheels to spin while taking off at 5k rpm with the wheels in the dirty portion of the road. simply awsome bcas even on dry tarmac i could get wheel spins when shifting from 1 st to 2 nd...

both bridgestone and good year are good. bridgestones perform well in the wet i was told but no personal experience though.
Old 15th April 2005, 15:59   #11
BHPian

Oh yeah, even i get HUGE wheelspin starting off from standstill in first gear with about 4k on the tacho (the max torque is at 4250rpm)...
Old 16th April 2005, 13:44   #12
VIV

Thanks Rahul.

Yeah,I will go for the 195/60 Goodyear.I drive a 2003 June Palio 1.6.I have clocked 29,000 km,mostly city driving.I jus luv the machine,getting obsessed with it.
Old 16th April 2005, 16:18   #13
BHPian

hi !
retrofitting ABS is extremely tricky and dont think anyone one will do it in india . you will need 4 wheel sensors and control unit . to fit traction control you need ABS and fuel injection . with the wheel sensors traction control will cost round about 700 pounds not including fitting !
Old 17th April 2005, 00:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

I
Quote:
drive a Palio 1.6 GTX am not happy with the braking at high speeds.The car also goes off track when brakes are applied at high speeds on a slightly wet surface.
Seems like an alignment issue. Is it pulling to right or left. Is it pulling during normal driving? Another reasion could be a jammed piston inside your brake caliper. When this happens, one wheel has more braking force than the other.
Another reason could be a suspension bushing that has gone bad. (the rear bushing in the control arm). This can cause a change in the "toe" setting of the wheel during braking.
Old 25th April 2005, 13:08   #15
VIV

THANKS rAHUL.Do you feel a difference in the feel of the brake pedal at high speeds with the wider tryres on the GTX?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks