Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2008, 00:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

I used to have one Esteem VX (99) for one year (2002-03) and that also had the same problem. My friend used to say "Sheesha band nahi hota to kholta kyon hai" (why do u slide it down if it doesn't go up).

He had a City (99) at that time (he still has it) and its power windows were like zooom in comparison.
Old 7th December 2008, 02:27   #17
BHPian

w840 in the window sils provides a little relief
Old 7th December 2008, 07:08   #18
BHPian

Maruti has always has this issue with power windows. SLow power window could be because of glass runner or motor. Get it checked at MASS. I believe there is some kind of spray avaiable which you can use to spray on glass runner to make it soft and hence allowing power window to work as design.
Old 7th December 2008, 17:10   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frown View Post
Maruti has always has this issue with power windows. SLow power window could be because of glass runner or motor. Get it checked at MASS. I believe there is some kind of spray avaiable which you can use to spray on glass runner to make it soft and hence allowing power window to work as design.
The spray is a "silicone lubricant spray" you'd get it in most hardware/tools stores .
Old 8th December 2008, 13:22   #20
BHPian

I guess first of all we need to understand the difference between the two things. I am writing down two cases as per my experience.

1. When you try to roll it up, then it does move, however very slowly, gets stuck somewhere, a small movement back and then it will move again. It can be pulled up using physical power and pressing the button.

2. The window gets stuck in the middle and refuses to budge, even if you apply physical power, then also it doesn't move, but suddenly after few attempts it moves again.

Changing the wire helps in Second scenario, while changing channels, silicon spray etc are for first problen.

btw., my driver side window is quite fast and efficient. is it because it gets used more often compared to other 3 ? also the front passenger window is better than rear ones.
Old 8th December 2008, 13:44   #21
@ri
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Well, I've never had any problems with the other 3 window. Its only the front passenger window thats been frequently troublesome...
If that is the case, then I guess you ought to check out on the motor at MASS. A motor with a partially burnt out winding will have a much decreased torque!
Old 8th December 2008, 14:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post

btw., my driver side window is quite fast and efficient. is it because it gets used more often compared to other 3 ? also the front passenger window is better than rear ones.

Same with 3 esteems i have used so far. The driver side works perfectly while the other 3 are slow.
Old 8th December 2008, 16:58   #23
BHPian

And the tragedy is, when I casually inquired about the costs of motor from one of the mechanics, he said one pair is around Rs.15000 and other is around Rs.7000. I said THANKS YOU !!
Old 8th December 2008, 17:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
And the tragedy is, when I casually inquired about the costs of motor from one of the mechanics, he said one pair is around Rs.15000 and other is around Rs.7000. I said THANKS YOU !!

But I strongly believe that the motor is not the issue here. What i mean is that the motor is not worn out.

Has anyone tried retrofitting with non OE motors ?
Old 8th December 2008, 17:48   #25
Senior - BHPian

I am having the same symptoms that shashank has mentioned in my baleno. That is Option 1.
Got it checked at various places and final conclusionn. have to change the rubber beading/runners. total cost 10k for 4 windows.
I think I am ok with giving it a bit of a push with my hand
Old 8th December 2008, 18:18   #26
Senior - BHPian

^^^ 10 k for 4 rubber runs??? Is Maruti mad?? And I thought 800 each for Esteem is too much!

Will someone please tell me what the Silicon lube spray is called (brand)? And what are its applications? I dont think WD40 is a good option in this case, as it does not last long, is a very light-duty lube... and cant say what effect it will have on rubber.

Strange that you people are having problems with all the windows. My problem has always been the front passenger seat window. The other 3 have never given any problem.
Old 8th December 2008, 18:27   #27
Team-BHP Support

Replace the rubber runs, clean and lubricate the power window mechanical bits and it will be fine. Ensure that you completely up&down the windows atleast once a week, this will buy you more time before they decide to get jamming again on you. Esteem power windows are a knows issue.

Also ensure that glass is fitted properly on the scissors and the rubber runners aligned properly.
Old 9th December 2008, 10:28   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
But I strongly believe that the motor is not the issue here. What i mean is that the motor is not worn out.
I agree, that is what my earlier post imply.

Also I have got conflicting opinions on servicing of the O.E motors, one of the electricians said that nothing can be done, however an Electrician in Karol Bagh said that he can do it. (Maybe opening the motor, rewinding and all, not sure though).

But I guess the motors are too precious to take that kind of 'Panga' with the, unless they are completely dead.
Old 9th December 2008, 12:59   #29
BHPian

I don't really understand what the mechanics mean to say when they say that "motor is worn out" - does it mean that the windings are burnt ? wouldn't that mean that the motor would just stop working ? or does it mean that the motor needs lubrication?

either case i don't think it would be a tough job to take apart a motor and repair it - maybe the mechanics are just scared to do things they don't know.

about the glass run problem - has anyone tried removing them from the car, washing them with detergent(maybe cleaning all the dust/dirt would help?) and then lubricating them with silicone spray and putting them back ?
Old 9th December 2008, 13:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

Amit, I did that got all out cleaned and washed and put them baclk was pure bliss for a week then back to square one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks