Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2008, 10:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

Safari AC goes Kaput!

yesterday, I was standing at a traffic light and since it was getting a bit muggy, decided to switch on the AC. on pressing the switch, the blue light came on and the compressor kicket in (revs increased a bit and you could hear the click of the compressor) but no cold air came from teh vents!

i tried to adjust the HVAC know but warm air came when on red, but not cold air even at Max cooling.

looks to me that either the AC gas has leaked or there is a blown fuse.

Any ideas?

O.T. third major issue in the Safari in just over a year of purchase....this is not good!!
Old 5th December 2008, 10:43   #2
BHPian

I think you will find your answers from post 182 onwards here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-conks-13.html
Old 5th December 2008, 10:43   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Finally she did a Tata thing.
The AC has stopped working. Now you may be wondering why I need ac in this cold weather. Well. the front windscreen had fogged up, and I started AC. After a few minutes there was no change in cabin temp as well as status of the fog. The ambient temp must be around 17 degrees.
I switched the AC from windscreen direction to normal, and from the vents came air which was definitely not AC cool. The temp controls were at cold(so no chance of hot air causing this).
After this I went outside and checked whether the distinctive click of the compressor starting comes.
When AC switch(blue one) is turned on, there is slight change in engine note, which is expected, however the distinctive and very audible click of the clutch engaging is missing. So I guess the clutch is jammed or something?
I guess I should be asking for a new compressor instead of repairing?

Can somebody forward me some contacts to write a stinker to.
In the past 7050 kms she has had more niggles than our 106000 done indica has had in the past 10,000kms

Phew, thankfully, the "issues" will be restricted to things like AC etc., and not go to critical components leading to a breakdown.

Anyways, I was thinking of getting the 7500kms service done next weekend, but guess, its going to be this weekend.

Will get to try autolinks this saturday

That link will take you to more info, that shall hopefully resolve your issue.

Edit: Hemanthisgreat, this is great, we posted within seconds of eachother.
Old 5th December 2008, 10:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Hemant, Imran

seems that my problem is not a one off! will go to the TASC tomorrow and see how things go.
Old 5th December 2008, 10:53   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
yesterday, I was standing at a traffic light and since it was getting a bit muggy, decided to switch on the AC. on pressing the switch, the blue light came on and the compressor kicket in (revs increased a bit and you could hear the click of the compressor) but no cold air came from teh vents!

i tried to adjust the HVAC know but warm air came when on red, but not cold air even at Max cooling.

looks to me that either the AC gas has leaked or there is a blown fuse.

Any ideas?

O.T. third major issue in the Safari in just over a year of purchase....this is not good!!
Wake up TML!
Why don't we club all threads about Safari niggles/break-downs and send them across to TML?

Cheers!!!
Old 5th December 2008, 12:06   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Thanks Hemant, Imran

seems that my problem is not a one off! will go to the TASC tomorrow and see how things go.
Three things make this happen:

1.) Fuse blown out (90% possibility)

2.) Gas leakage (very bleak 2% possibility)

3.) Wire near the AC Clutch in the engine bay broke (Thsi happened with me. the wire just keeps hanging and sometimes break. 8% possibility)

Check the wire and the fuse and you should be good. nothing to worry about i guess

Rajeev
Old 5th December 2008, 12:28   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepgautam_qa View Post
Wake up TML!
Why don't we club all threads about Safari niggles/break-downs and send them across to TML?

Then TML engineers will only have time to read these threads.

Even after the 1 year of introducing 2.2 Safari still it have lots of niggling problems in the new safari.Wake up Tata and give a good quality product.
Old 5th December 2008, 12:29   #8
BANNED

Rajeev, thanks for highlighting that 3rd possibility - it has been known to happen. I keep forgetting to mention that option. The TASC usually does a temp. fix for that - they call it the permanent fix as well.

Happened to me once on a drive and the TASC (Prerana?) at Chikkaballapur fixed it in 5 minutes (edit: for free).

Last edited by hrag : 5th December 2008 at 12:41.
Old 5th December 2008, 14:42   #9
Team-BHP Support

did you manage to check the fuse?
Old 5th December 2008, 14:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

It is most probably the fuse. I had it once, but was sorted out and it was the fuse. Check for AC related fuses and replace as necessary.

Drifter
Old 8th December 2008, 13:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

Go tthe AC checked over the weekend- it was the fuse. tool 20 seconds to replace the fuse with teh spare that comes in teh fuse box....and voila, things are back to normal. Malik motors did not have a spare 25 A fuse that I could keep as a standby, so will have to go again to get a spare.
Old 8th December 2008, 15:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

Buy half a dozen 25A fuses and keep them handy. The condenser fan fuse blowing is a common problem. Murphy's law - it hits you when you least expect it, can ill afford to stop and check, and need the AC the most!!!
Old 8th December 2008, 15:21   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Buy half a dozen 25A fuses and keep them handy. The condenser fan fuse blowing is a common problem. Murphy's law - it hits you when you least expect it, can ill afford to stop and check, and need the AC the most!!!
Actually TASCs are now putting a 30A fuse for the AC condensor instead of 25A and that seems to have solved the frequent fuse blowing problem.
Old 10th February 2009, 18:04   #14
BHPian

Wished I had seen this thread earlier!!! My A/C fuse had blown on Sunday. Yesterday when i went to the TASC. They changed the fuse and charged me 150Rs for Labour!! . Anyways all running well now though!!
Old 25th May 2009, 09:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Tata Safari 2.2L AC Condenser Fuse Blown

Its raining in Kerala; nice downpour! And your AC fuse is blown! and you have 200kms to travel with family !

You know the issue: you know where to check and rectify it. The spare fuse too was used up by TASS when you complained about AC not working.

The blown fuse is 25Amp one; I dont have a spare. I tried 20Amp; worked for sometime.

I was lucky to spot St.Antony's Sales centre at Chengannur or so. They were sweet enough to allow me to check the Grande and Safari VX they had for spare fuse. To my suprise new 2.2's still come with 20Amp fuse

And the Grande? the old big fuse which can be easily bought and replaced. The OE fuse for Safari (AC Condenser fuse etc) which sits inside the engine bay are a pain even to remove ! God !

When will Tata learn?

And bro just called, TASS has only 30Amp ones; asked him to but it and check with Tata spare parts for 25Amps.

Is it ok if I use 30Amp fuse for AC condenser?

Most Viewed