Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2008, 11:53   #1
BHPian

Tyre puncture by bottle glass

Good day everyone,

Today while taking out the car for my office I notice that the air in my front tyres and one back tyre was less, as a routine I went to fill up the air, to my shock he said that my tyres have puncher, I asked him to remove the puncher, to my horror he said that tube is damage beyond repair as bottle glass has been found inside and these glass pieces have entered through my tyre and have damage my inner tube
Result: All three inner tube changed.

Now my question: How can bottle glass could have entered through my tyre? Is it possible that these peaces may have got stuck on to my tyre and after considerable driving may have come in contact with my inner tube and damage it beyond repair. All my inner tube were new.
Solution : If I have to put nitrogen in my tyre will it help.Or should I go for tubeless tyres.
Your comments & suggestion are appreciated.

regards
uday
Old 5th December 2008, 16:55   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaydesai View Post
Good day everyone,

Today while taking out the car for my office I notice that the air in my front tyres and one back tyre was less, as a routine I went to fill up the air, to my shock he said that my tyres have puncher, I asked him to remove the puncher, to my horror he said that tube is damage beyond repair as bottle glass has been found inside and these glass pieces have entered through my tyre and have damage my inner tube
Result: All three inner tube changed.

Now my question: How can bottle glass could have entered through my tyre? Is it possible that these peaces may have got stuck on to my tyre and after considerable driving may have come in contact with my inner tube and damage it beyond repair. All my inner tube were new.
Solution : If I have to put nitrogen in my tyre will it help.Or should I go for tubeless tyres.
Your comments & suggestion are appreciated.

regards
uday
You mean to say that glass was found inside three tyres??
One or two tiny pieces can somehow get inside the tyre.
Tyres might have been damaged. Nitrogen won't be of any help.
How old are these tyres? Have they lost all the tread??
Old 5th December 2008, 17:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Glass entering a tyre is highly unlikely. That too 3 tyres is next to impossible.
Old 5th December 2008, 17:17   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Glass entering a tyre is highly unlikely. That too 3 tyres is next to impossible.
Quote:
+1 on this. Something to do with the puncture guy.

@udaydesai were you personally present when the guy took out the tube from the tyre?
Old 5th December 2008, 18:01   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
You mean to say that glass was found inside three tyres??
One or two tiny pieces can somehow get inside the tyre.
Tyres might have been damaged. Nitrogen won't be of any help.
How old are these tyres? Have they lost all the tread??
My tyres are two years old and tread are very much there.
Old 5th December 2008, 18:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

I had a large puncture due to bottle glass shards on my trip to Rajmachi in my Safari. Fixed it with my tubeless puncture kit.
Old 5th December 2008, 18:02   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
+1 on this. Something to do with the puncture guy.

@udaydesai were you personally present when the guy took out the tube from the tyre?
yes I was personall monitering his activity, He also removed some of the glass pices from the tyre.
Old 5th December 2008, 18:04   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
I had a large puncture due to bottle glass shards on my trip to Rajmachi in my Safari. Fixed it with my tubeless puncture kit.
Can you please give me some more details.
Old 5th December 2008, 18:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

I wonder what kind of glass is tough enough to go through a tyre. It can not be normal bottle glass.
Old 5th December 2008, 18:21   #10
BHPian

Need help with Fiat Siena 1999

I have bought a Fiat Siena 1999 model second hand. Reason being the ride quality and the luxury as against a Esteem. Price I paid was 90,000. The car is 92,001 Kms when bought and I have driven abt 1700 Kms in the past two months. To me it NOW SEEMS that the previous owner has really abused the car in the last 6 months. the silencer was busted and clutch had worn out too. I have replaced the silencer, clutch, front strut mountings, both the headlamps. The car is good and so i intend to spend some more on it and get it ship-shape. The engine is good and so is the car.

I have a few problem areas I need help on.
1. Axle boot has torn and gear oil is leaking from it. Where do I get a pair of axle boots (differential side) and what will be the cost.
2. Need the left nozzle for the windscreen wiper.
3. One of the rear Door makes a "kat-kat-kat" noise when opening, others dont make a noise - how do i solve this?
4. Light from the Fog lamps do not fall straight on the road - they are scewed and fall right in front of the car...no use at all.
5. a few of the plastic panels - right side internal plastic panel where we have the mirror adjustment control, left inside traingular plastic panel, right External traingular plastic panel are coing off. Where will I get a replacement? what cost.
6. the previous owner has swapped the music system and now given me the casette player - but the display is not connected. Any help on this one.
7. Speedometer needle jumps to the 65 mark and gets stuck. On tapping the speedometer glass with finger gets the needle in the correct speed position. Help on this Phenomenon.

Your guidence will be of immense help to me. I am in PUNE. two dealers - Pandit Auto and BU Bhandari DO NOT have the spares needed. Both have suggested OPERA HOUSE (Mumbai) for sourcing the same.

Also need to know of a good service centre for FIAT - like the HARIPRASAD in bangalore as someone has experienced.

Awaiting help....

Soumo Chatterjee
Cell - 9970411311
Pune.
Old 5th December 2008, 20:05   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I wonder what kind of glass is tough enough to go through a tyre. It can not be normal bottle glass.
could be RC, or KF or Old Monk Glass or some other of it's kind.
Old 5th December 2008, 21:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please give me some more details.
The glass shard that caused the puncture was from a broken bottle. 1.5" in length and almost 1/2"wide. It sliced through the side of the tyre just before sidewall begins and the tread ends. It was stuck there causing the tyre to lose air and flatten completely in under 3 minutes.

I replaced it with the stepney and then used the tubeless puncture kit which is part of my vehicle kit to plug the leak after extracting the glass piece. The inflated the tyre using my portable air compressor, checked for air leak and put the tyre in the stepney.
Old 6th December 2008, 09:12   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
The glass shard that caused the puncture was from a broken bottle. 1.5" in length and almost 1/2"wide. It sliced through the side of the tyre just before sidewall begins and the tread ends. It was stuck there causing the tyre to lose air and flatten completely in under 3 minutes.

I replaced it with the stepney and then used the tubeless puncture kit which is part of my vehicle kit to plug the leak after extracting the glass piece. The inflated the tyre using my portable air compressor, checked for air leak and put the tyre in the stepney.
Thx. I do travel a lot and at the speed of 120km/hr on express way, when ever there is any puncher I change the inner tube , I always belive in safety first.
Old 6th December 2008, 09:16   #14
BHPian

what is the possibility that someone may have put deliberately to harm my tyres, The reason I asked this question as I have a live and hate relationship with my neighbour. lately my car has been aboused and damage with lot of scratch marks.
Old 6th December 2008, 10:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thx. I do travel a lot and at the speed of 120km/hr on express way, when ever there is any puncher I change the inner tube , I always belive in safety first.
Quote:
what is the possibility that someone may have put deliberately to harm my tyres, The reason I asked this question as I have a live and hate relationship with my neighbour. lately my car has been aboused and damage with lot of scratch marks.
If you travel so much its better to switch to tubeless. Will save you much more on tube replacement costs.
On second thoughts, if you believe in safety first, you should consider saving yourself from your suspect neighbour.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks