Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2008, 11:49   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
Its a minute impact point, the impact was near the edge of the glass, both the Hyundai service advisor and W.E guy told that, had the stone hit the glass anywhere in the middle, the glass would not have cracked, but if there is small impact near the edges of the glass it would crack. Its like the weakest point for the glass.

Just my luck I guess, as I have highlighted in the snap, its a small impact point, photo taken in super macro in the camera.
Ok. It's just one of those days when you were at the wrong place at the wrong time... I'm sure you must be thinking, only if hadn't overtaken that last car, this wouldn't have happened to me...
Old 10th October 2013, 13:20   #17
BHPian

Audi A4 Windshield glass replacement query.

My A4's windshield cracked, mostly due to heat buildup. There seems no sign of anyone banging/hitting on purpose ,else as per my understanding, the glass would have shattered. Against that, there was a small hairline crack, that keeps on getting bigger.

Now my series of questions:

1) Is it normal for the glass to crack within a year or it can happen anytime, with no specific time frame. Yes, my car is parked in the open many times( especially Sundays when I am home), but I haven't experienced any car's glass going kaput like the Audi ,so soon.

2) Is this claimable under warranty ( only considering the timeframe )? Will it make sense to pursue with Audi regarding the possibility of a poor quality Saint Gobain glass used?

3) My 1st years insurance policy expires on 29 November 13. I claim warranty on this windshield and I lose my NCB of 20 %(?) for my renewal. Is it feasible/practical to claim it this year or I delay my replacement and do it after 29 November. What makes financial sense?

4) Windshield experts also have cashless replacement with my Insurance company. Incase I get it replaced there, do I lose warranty on my car? I have purchased extended warranty from Audi and don't want any frivolous reasons for them to decline my warranty in case it is required in the future.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10th October 2013, 13:46   #18
BHPian

Re: Audi A4 Windshield glass replacement query.

Seems to be manufacturing defect / low quality. It is not normal to happen it so soon. You can try telling Audi and proving that no external object hit it.

I also have a similar problem on my W124, but this is 1996 and more or less it is expected because of fatigue. So I am not complaining !
Old 10th October 2013, 14:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: Audi A4 Windshield glass replacement query.

Glass is normally not covered under warranty but the nature of crack as posted here suggests that it could be result of poor fitting/bonding failure etc. so it just might be considered. Though would have been ideal had you reported it to Audi in the initial stages itself. Your queries can be answered only after inputs from Audi service. It will be best to get the necessary information from them and then either decide by yourself or share the info here for relevant suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
My A4's windshield cracked, mostly due to heat buildup. There seems no sign of anyone banging/hitting on purpose ,else as per my understanding, the glass would have shattered. Against that, there was a small hairline crack, that keeps on getting bigger.

Now my series of questions:
Old 10th October 2013, 14:59   #20
Team-BHP Support

Re: Windshield cracked. Need replacement.

Can you post a picture of the crack, and comb finely if there are any fine chips along the crack? If so the chipping would have mostly resulted in crack. Normal environmental heat will not cause automobile windshields to crack.

If its manufacturing defect, yes should be claimable. But then the glass should not have any chips what so ever to get the case across. Reg insurance claim, first find out how much is the cost, then decide if it is worth losing no claim bonus. If you plan to sell the car in another year, makes sense to claim it after renewal. If not it is just a delayed expense.

Do check with Audi dealer also if you decide on replacing, about warranty and getting job done outside, they are the best people to reply coz they have to honor it at the end of the day.
Old 10th October 2013, 15:59   #21
BHPian

Moderator note: Post edited. Please avoid Typing in full Bold and replying inline. You can use the Quote text function in replies to respond better. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Though would have been ideal had you reported it to Audi in the initial stages itself. Your queries can be answered only after inputs from Audi service.

This happened 2 days ago. I called Audi service for a service appointment and timeframe for insurance claim etc. already. I know what their answer is going to be. "Something must have hit the windshield and this doesnot come under warranty". Anyways I have written about my Audi ownership woes to Audi through their FB page. Lets see if they respond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Can you post a picture of the crack, and comb finely if there are any fine chips along the crack? If so the chipping would have mostly resulted in crack. Normal environmental heat will not cause automobile windshields to crack.
I thought that heat buildup inside parked cars, with no scope to vent, causes the glass to expand and crack.. I see a lot of cars in Delhi with broken windscreens, which I assumed was due to extreme heat. I will soon post the pictures too.

Quote:
Reg insurance claim, first find out how much is the cost, then decide if it is worth losing no claim bonus.
Windshield experts quoted Approx 42000. I won't be surprised to get a quote of Rs 80,000 from Audi.
I won't be selling the car for next 2 years atleast, till I can claim depreciation benefits and loan is paid off.

Quote:
Do check with Audi dealer also if you decide on replacing, about warranty and getting job done outside, they are the best people to reply coz they have to honor it at the end of the day.
They have canned responses. " Sir that will void the warranty ".I need to fill their bottomless pockets or they void my warranty.

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th October 2013 at 16:02.
Old 10th October 2013, 16:05   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I thought that heat buildup inside parked cars, with no scope to vent, causes the glass to expand and crack.. I see a lot of cars in Delhi with broken windscreens, which I assumed was due to extreme heat. I will soon post the pictures too.
No cars are not air tight and if you observe even the air re-circulation vent is kept in open when the car is switched off.

Quote:
I won't be selling the car for next 2 years atleast, till I can claim depreciation benefits and loan is paid off.
Do the math then and see if its worth the NCB loss.
Old 10th October 2013, 16:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

Calling and scheduling is ok for routine service etc. for running repairs the vehicle can be sent/taken directly to the service centre. If even after getting your phone call regarding the crack they did not ask you to come 'straight in' then it is indeed a sad state of affairs.

Quote:
This happened 2 days ago. I called Audi service for a service appointment and timeframe for insurance claim etc. already. I know what their answer is going to be. "Something must have hit the windshield and this doesnot come under warranty". Anyways I have written about my Audi ownership woes to Audi through their FB page. Lets see if they respond.
Old 14th October 2013, 08:31   #24
BHPian

Hi,
I just got my windshield of my Vento replaced from Windshield Experts here in Bangalore.
1) The general impression I got was a good professional outfit who get a windshield replaced quickly.
2) The cost of replacement was probably lesser than what VW would quote me. Also I needed to get it done quickly as the crack on my windshield was growing and beyond repair
3) The job was well executed and the new windshield was put in place. I did not go for the insurance option and paid cash down due to the long weekend it would take a long time for the claim to come back. My car is 2.5 yrs old so there is no warranty I can claim. Anyway post the work being done the only thing out of place are the wipers. As you know the Vento wipers cannot be opened up in the normally down position.Now they can. Also they look more obvious on the windshield. I do hope I don't have to visit the VW work shop to have these checked.
I don't know if that is all right. I operated them and they seem to work OK without any noise. I wonder what has caused this.
Any idea if the newer windshield thickness will be more / less than the original ? Please help me in understanding these.
Old 21st October 2013, 16:15   #25
BHPian

Hi fellow Vento owners,
A quick question. I have just replaced my windshield from Windshield Experts and they have done a good job. There are a couple of things I noticed -
1) Due to the change in the curvature of the windshields the wipers now open up like any other car while cleaning the windscreen. They look a bit outward too.
2) I noticed that on the side where the VIN number is seen I see that some water does seep through. It eventually drains off but after washing the car (no pressure wash) there is some water there. I am just worried that the water that seeps off runs off harmlessly down to the ground or evaporates. Anyone who replaced a windshield notice anything like this before ?
What is usually done to plug the leakage ?
Old 21st October 2013, 16:45   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
1) Due to the change in the curvature of the windshields the wipers now open up like any other car while cleaning the windscreen.
Why did the curvature change? Are the specs of this new windshield different from what your Vento originally came with?
Old 22nd October 2013, 09:45   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Why did the curvature change? Are the specs of this new windshield different from what your Vento originally came with?
Well I have no clue about the specs. The wipers look different. The sweep area of the wipers is now different as well so my guess is that the newer windscreen has a different curvature. It fits perfectly but it looks different.

Last edited by ambivalent_98 : 22nd October 2013 at 09:46.
Old 22nd October 2013, 15:45   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post

Well I have no clue about the specs. The wipers look different. The sweep area of the wipers is now different as well so my guess is that the newer windscreen has a different curvature. It fits perfectly but it looks different.
Can you post the picture of the stock windscreen and the one post changeover.
Thanks,

Anurag.
Old 22nd October 2013, 20:55   #29
Senior - BHPian

The wipers probably need just an adjustment. And if water is leaking into the VIN number area, you should probably be paying them a visit. They would do whatever is required to stop the leakage.
Old 1st November 2013, 17:07   #30
BHPian

An update on my windshield.

It cracked due to external contingencies and not like I had earlier thought. Got it replaced from Audi and had to pay Rs 7000 ( 2000 is voluntary deduction) out of a total bill of Rs 54000 odd.

What I figured out from the replacement experience is as below:
1) Bajaj Allianz Policy that I had taken through Audi ( Called Audi Gold or something) by paying in excess of Rs 100000 ( new car) is useless vis-a-vis HDFC ERGO's Titanium Plan.

HDFC Titanium plan is a zero dep policy that covers hydrostatic lock along with NCB protection on windshield replacement ( 3 times in a year)
Had my windshield cracked in Year 2, I would have benefited.:-)

Copying the concerned para.

No Claim Bonus Protection- Endorsement No 34

34. In consideration of the payment of additional premium paid by the Insured and realized by the Insurer, not
withstanding anything contrary contained in the policy, It is hereby understood & agreed that on occurrence of any loss
or damage to the Insured vehicle under section 1 of this policy, the No Claim Bonus, as applicable may be allowed to
be retained by the Insured, in case where it is proved by the Insured of not having any fault in the accident resulting in
to damages or loss to the Insured vehicle for contingencies mentioned below;
Damage to only Windshield Glass by External Object
Loss due to accidental external means to Parked Vehicle
Loss due to Flood/earthquake/AOG perils to a Parked Vehicle
This clause is applicable only to partial losses covered and is further subject to a maximum of 3 no fault claims under
the policy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks