Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2008, 22:55   #16
BHPian

cool, I called a friend and he said SHELL but dunno if it's jus the allegiance to a new foreign brand. but he had a bunch of good things to say about SHELL, anyways, your decision to go with castrol is just fine! all the best. Please post here after you are done so the rest of us can benefit.
Old 8th April 2013, 16:03   #17
BHPian

Re: OHC 1.5 Gear /Transmission Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
I know this might be too late, but for the forum -
here is the capacities for Type 11 OHC Gear oil. 1.8L for change and total of 1.9L for Automatic: its 2.4L for change and 5.4L total.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
Thanks Johnda, thats just the information that I was looking for.

I found 2 brands of Gear Oil (both Grade 90) ... Shell costing 130/L and Castrol @ 198/L. I'll be taking 2L and would prolly go with castrol.

Hi I have a Honda City ZX Exi 2006 done 60k. Have been frustrated by HASS and left them couple of years back.
I need to change the transmission oil and the manual only lists ' Genuine Honda Gear oIl'. Please tell me the SAE viscosity which is recommended. How many litres? brands that would be compatible would also help.
Old 8th April 2013, 20:14   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
Hi I have a Honda City ZX Exi 2006 done 60k. Have been frustrated by HASS and left them couple of years back.
I need to change the transmission oil and the manual only lists ' Genuine Honda Gear oIl'. Please tell me the SAE viscosity which is recommended. How many litres? brands that would be compatible would also help.
I've used the Bosch GO 90. and good thing is to buy 3lts, jus that its a pain doing the job, you need a twisted tube for the job, the bolt is the allen key type... I guess you speak to an experienced mechanic to help you do this,

go for the Bosch its a trusted brand.
johnda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 09:56   #19
BANNED

One thing to be careful about - not only viscosity but also whether EP is required, I think it will be. EP - Extreme Pressure is for hypoid boxes, and almost all are. Just verify.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 12:23   #20
BHPian

Hi guys
Any SAE 90 EP should be ok. My brand loyalty is shell. And as per the quantity, that's not a problem. As most gear boxes have 2 bolts. One for drain and the other to fill up. All you have to do is make sure the car is in level ground and fill up till it begins to flow out. Then screw in the bolt. Same holds true for a differential in a RWD car.
VANOS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 21:57   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
I've used the Bosch GO 90. and good thing is to buy 3lts, jus that its a pain doing the job, you need a twisted tube for the job, the bolt is the allen key type... I guess you speak to an experienced mechanic to help you do this
Thanks, i know its a (relatively) difficult job. I got it done at Maruti ASS once for my Alto and the guy had to do quite an exercise. will get it done at some good garage. Will see if the Bosch centre lets me bring my own engine oil etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
One thing to be careful about - not only viscosity but also whether EP is required, I think it will be. EP - Extreme Pressure is for hypoid boxes, and almost all are. Just verify.
Thanks sg, is EP a safe bet? i mean can we use EP even if its not required? Or can it cause some harm? As always its such a pain to get any details for anything Honda!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANOS View Post
Hi guys
Any SAE 90 EP should be ok. And as per the quantity, that's not a problem. As most gear boxes have 2 bolts. One for drain and the other to fill up. All you have to do is make sure the car is in level ground and fill up till it begins to flow out.
I will get it done at some garage and i have to know how much to use. You never know how the mechanics may overfill or underfill etc. I would get Total or Bosch 80W90 EP probably.

Most Viewed