Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2008, 23:02   #1

Honda Civic 1.8 S. Help

I have my Honda civic since Sep 24 2006, and for its 0 B'day party i drove it down from Hyderabad to Aurangabad (& back) on a temp no (26th Sep till 3rd Oct). It was a great trip.

I celebrated its 2nd BDay in Sep 08. All thru this time it has been driven in hyderabad city (the good parts - gachibowli, jubliee/banjara hills, panjgutta, madhapur etc and very rarely to other parts of old town). During this time my out of station trips have been limited to srisalam (3 times) and once to nagarjuna sagar.

Sep 06 till date i have done only 12.5k kms out of which approx 3k+ have been on out of city highways and 8+ on the good parts of the city which i avoid leaving.

Last two months, after the 2nd BDay, things have become a bit tight for my civic.

First my fault, i banged her with a indica at 20/30 kmh from behind. By the time put the brakes the speed would have been less than 15kmh. BUt the indica had a big solid steel rod back bumper, it screwed up civic front bumper just slightly (right side coming out by 2-3 inches at the joint with bdoy/headlight). Sundaram guys says i need to replace the front bumper and ..... (some part inside which holds the bumper and body together)

The second blow was a week after i recived the 4th call from sundaram to get extened warrenty which i refused ( B'Cos of my faith not in honda but CIVIC). The in dash CD player is dead. It just make noises and say mech. failure. That was abt 2 weeks back. I have not sent the her (car) to workshop after that. So i do not know what to expect.

I need advice from all of you guys out there what should i do. As far as the front bumper and ... is concerned it does not make sense to claim insurance. Total cost is approx 15K out of which max 7.5 will be refunded. I might as well as take that hit and cover it up with NCB.

I have no idea about what is wrong with the in dash audio and what that might cost me. As far as i know/enquired it is not covered under warrenty/insurance.

What do you guys suggest?

PS: I have not talked about the good points yet, i will do so in my subsequent posts. Running out of time right now.
Old 7th December 2008, 23:31   #2
Sha
BHPian

Put the photo of damaged bumper so that we can see does it require to change fully. check with local mechanic can he fix that bumper and i am sure he will have good idea. Authorized guys will literally try to change even for small damaged.
About audio dead may be its due to impact with indica that you can check with authorized guys.
Old 7th December 2008, 23:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

If you haven't claimed any insurance till now, your 3rd yr NCB would be a neat sum. so might as well bite the bullet. 15K for the bumper alone or something else along with it??

Most of the multi CD players especially those that have a stack model can get into mechanical problems. The cd changer inside might not be functioning correctly. I don't know if that is the problem but mechanical failure seems to suggest something similar. There will be a service and repair cost to this i'm sure !!
Old 8th December 2008, 22:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Honda has been giving free extended warranty for all Civics for a long time! Did they ask you to pay for this when they called you?

As for the CD changer, may I suggest an outside job? The unit itself is an Alpine. If you can get a service center which deals with Alpine to look into it, you might be able to get a repair job on it. Failing that, you can try an independent workshop, but finding a competent one might be a tough job. You can try the ICE guys for that I suppose.

As for the honeymoon being over, your first problem was an accident which you admit was your fault. Second being an electronics glitch, in a component made to a cost. I wouldn't say the honeymoon is over - I would say a small fight broke out like it does with any other family It hurts a bit for a day or two. Just patch things up and you can start sailing again.

If you can't fix the CD player, use that as an excuse to do up the ICE.
Old 8th December 2008, 22:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Honda has been giving free extended warranty for all Civics for a long time! Did they ask you to pay for this when they called you?
I paid Rs.9,500/- for 2 years extended warranty.

I bought my car on 02-Aug-2006. In the month of July'08, I was suggested by A.S.S. to buy extended warranty for one year (4800) or two years (9500). I got a letter also for the same by mail/courier. So, looking at the cost of the parts, I bought extended warranty in last week of July this year.
Old 12th December 2008, 14:47   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
No. this is not true. I paid Rs 8500 when I bought my car on Feb 08.
Old 12th December 2008, 15:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

So you have 2 problems, one because you hit an auto & the other is the audio. So what's the nagging problem with the CIVIC ?
Old 12th December 2008, 15:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hmm, I have been seeing those ads for a long time, which is why in my mind extended warranty had been standard for a long time. Sorry for that.

I got it for free when I bought mine in September.

Most Viewed