Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2008, 13:10   #1
BHPian

OHC Brakes Failed

Hey guys,
I've been having this problem with my car's breaks.
they progressively get softer and softer as i drive... to the point of being completely ineffectual...
gave it to my mech.. he said the master cylinder had failed and changed it, but i still am facing the same problem.

I'm giving it to my mech again today.. lets see what happens.

I also feel that there is something impeding the wheels. this has started recently [around the time the brakes started giving problems].

The car seems to be driving on tyres with severly low air [air in the tyres is fine].

i'm thinking maybe one of the brake pads is stuck a bit...
Old 8th December 2008, 13:13   #2
Team-BHP Support

Which car is it? and how many kms have it done, how are the brake pads?

Do check the servo assist unit and pipes for any leakage (if applicable).
Old 8th December 2008, 14:42   #3
BHPian

Sorry bout that..

i got a '98 OHC 1.3 type 1

and its done about 120,000 KM...

The Brake problem was not a gradual...

Suddenly one day it progressively packed up.
Old 8th December 2008, 14:58   #4
Team-BHP Support

Hey Shekhar,

Are you facing exactly the same problem after replacing the master cylinder? I thought you said it was slightly different in some way?

Quote:
I also feel that there is something impeding the wheels. this has started recently [around the time the brakes started giving problems].
Put the car in neutral on a flat road. Engage the handbrake. Jack up the car and spin the front wheels with your hand. This way you'll be able to tell if one is harder to spin (sticky brake piston etc).
Put the car in 1st and release the handbrake to do the rear wheels.

@Jaggu - its a city 1.3, not sure about the milage? 80k i'd guess?

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th December 2008 at 15:00.
Old 8th December 2008, 15:43   #5
BHPian

its strange man...
this is the sequence of what has happened....

strangely AD was driving when the brakes failed...both times...

1> coming back from party at night... Brakes become progressively looser [is that the right term] i have to press harder and harder, until i was flooring the brake pedal but there was no effect on the car.

2> next morning... Brakes are fine... Car feels as if it is being impeded when i drive... {i can roll down the walkeshwar slope [towards kemps corner] in neutral and without touching the breaks and not speed up beyond 50 -60}... Drive down to the office [slowly].. brakes get progressively weaker through the drive to office.

3> get master cylinder changed... Brakes are fine, though after HEAVY driving brakes get very slightly looser...

4> AD drives again.... Brakes fail again...

5> now noticed that when the brakes fail, if i pump the brake pedal it works fine.... problem with that is i cannot come to a gradual halt.. i can only jerk the car to a stop....
Old 8th December 2008, 16:01   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

never had this problem of progressive brake failure in my type 2 OHC.

as jaggu said, must be leakage of brake fluid. Is the brake fluid in the reservoir at normal level?

Quote:
i'm thinking maybe one of the brake pads is stuck a bit...

Once a very small rat died and got stuck between my front disc and pad. Experienced a similar problem of car getting stuck (like driving with handbrake engaged) and being pulled towards one side. Check it out in you car. Something else may have been jammed in also.

Was the car not in use for a long time?

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 8th December 2008 at 16:02.
Old 8th December 2008, 16:06   #7
BHPian

Tejas,
As far as i know, there is no leakage of the break oil.... because after a long drive, there seems to be the same amount of fluid in the reservoir as before.
no fluid stains the road below the car after its parked over night...

I use the car everyday unless its been sent for servicing.
Old 8th December 2008, 16:18   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok. Check remove all tyres and check brake pads.

When was the last time you change the brake pads? If more than 20K, change them.

If you live townside (south bombay), i can recommend a good mechanic at malabar hill area if you wish. PM me if you need details.

EDIT: i just read your previous post, i think there is a problem with your servo assist.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 8th December 2008 at 16:21.
Old 8th December 2008, 16:24   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
Tejas,
As far as i know, there is no leakage of the break oil.... because after a long drive, there seems to be the same amount of fluid in the reservoir as before.
no fluid stains the road below the car after its parked over night...

I use the car everyday unless its been sent for servicing.
Hi Sprucegoose
Well what I was told by my friend is that MAster cylinder in a very rare case needs a replacement otherwise it never has any problem.
My friend happens to be a mechanic & owns a garage at Bandra : Pali Naka called Paul Autogarage Nr HSBC Bank.

If at all you need any help do PM me for his contact details & you could be rest assured that he shall take good care of your car. Rest assured.

BTW : I own an OHC type 2 1.5 EXI.

Rgds
Old 8th December 2008, 17:05   #10
BANNED

there may be air trappped in braking system as my friend with fiat uno faced same problem
Old 8th December 2008, 17:14   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry2223 View Post
there may be air trappped in braking system as my friend with fiat uno faced same problem
essentially, flush the brake fluid, coz this seems to get more pronounced as the breaks heat up.
Old 8th December 2008, 17:56   #12
Team-BHP Support

First and foremost, goto a competent garage and do a complete overhaul of the brakes. Check all the wheel cylinders, hoses and replace/clean/service as required. Adjust the rear break pads and fill up with a fresh dose of fluid, ensure that you bleed off the air from the lines while filling up new fluid.

Double check for any leakages, especially the flexible pipes, which might be hiding a leakage while standing still.

Check the brake servo unit for any leakages (diaphragm damage), then ensure that vacuum tubes are not leaking and are holding up the vacuum. Also check on the manifold vacuum connection for any leakages.

120000 km is a good deal of running and doing a complete overhaul of brakes definitely recommended, especially since its a second hand car and you might not have complete knowledge of previous history/work done.

My hunch the one of the cylinders might be getting jammed or their is a leak in the servo/vacuum assist. Then again with brakes you dont want to take a chance and would recommend thorough job.

Last edited by Jaggu : 8th December 2008 at 17:59.
Old 8th December 2008, 18:08   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
First and foremost, goto a competent garage and do a complete overhaul of the brakes. Check all the wheel cylinders, hoses and replace/clean/service as required. Adjust the rear break pads and fill up with a fresh dose of fluid, ensure that you bleed off the air from the lines while filling up new fluid.

Double check for any leakages, especially the flexible pipes, which might be hiding a leakage while standing still.

Check the brake servo unit for any leakages (diaphragm damage), then ensure that vacuum tubes are not leaking and are holding up the vacuum. Also check on the manifold vacuum connection for any leakages.

120000 km is a good deal of running and doing a complete overhaul of brakes definitely recommended, especially since its a second hand car and you might not have complete knowledge of previous history/work done.

My hunch the one of the cylinders might be getting jammed or their is a leak in the servo/vacuum assist. Then again with brakes you dont want to take a chance and would recommend thorough job.

haha especially the way i drive...
Old 8th December 2008, 18:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

Revv the engine a bit when this occurs, and check if you're gaining some braking efficiency.
Most probably,its the booster or leaking vacuum hose.
Old 8th December 2008, 19:22   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Revv the engine a bit when this occurs, and check if you're gaining some braking efficiency.
Most probably,its the booster or leaking vacuum hose.

If it was the booster then wouldn't the brakes become really hard to press?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks