Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2008, 15:37   #1
BHPian

Swift DDIS ABS turbo issue

Hi Bhpians,

My new Swift diesel which is almost a month old now, after doing around 250 KMS i realized that after 2000rpm there is no sudden turbo surge which i had in my previous DDIS. Right now the car has clocked around 650Kms and will be due for service now.

The sudden surge that comes in 2nd gear after 2000rpm is not felt at all. Even if the accelerator is not released until it reaches around 3000-3500rpm. Then after shifting to 3rd gear there is a little power that kicks in from turbo after 2000rpm but is not the same as my previous DDIS.

Is it a technical problem or i have got used to that surge that i no more feel it.

Kindly help me in the right direction as i am not sure what to do since its a new car. And as far as i am aware MASS have had hardly worked on Turbo issues as they might have not experienced any.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
tush.
Old 9th December 2008, 15:57   #2
BHPian

Hey Tush,

How many kms did you drive your previous DDiS? The turbo surge is more evidently felt after a good run in. I think your new DDiS is doing fine. It will develop the surge once it is run in. I'd suggest you don't go beyond 2500rpm until you finish the first service.

Coincidentally, before buying my Palio 1.3 MJD, I test drove a Swift DDiS. The TD vehicle had 23k on the ODO and the turbo surge was awesome. When my Palio arrived, I was disappointed that it wasn't surging like the Swift did. Once, with 350kms on the ODO, I even took it to 3000 rpm just to feel the surge and nothing happened! However, now my car has done 3.5k kms and the surge is felt very evidently. It will get even better.

Bottomline, be patient. You new DDiS will do just as good as the old one, provided she is run in well.

Cheers!
DueLLeR
Old 9th December 2008, 16:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Maybe there is a plumbing leak. Get a MASS to take a look at all the joints.
Old 9th December 2008, 16:15   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

It could be just bad fuel. This happens at times, the turbo doesn't spool up as quickly at times. It almost feels like its spooling up like a NA car feels. Get good fuel and it sorts itself out. Also, I am not quite sure if they have changed the maps on the DDIS after the 20k service. My car feels atleast 10% faster than ever since it came back, turbo whistle is very evident unlike before and you can feel the turbo spooling quicker than ever before. It wasn't like this when it went in for service, when it came out I was pleasently surprised to see the difference. I have no clue what they could have done.
Old 9th December 2008, 17:32   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueLLeR View Post
Hey Tush,

How many kms did you drive your previous DDiS? The turbo surge is more evidently felt after a good run in. I think your new DDiS is doing fine. It will develop the surge once it is run in. I'd suggest you don't go beyond 2500rpm until you finish the first service.
DueLLeR
The previous DDIS was run for atleast around 6000 Km. And from day one it had good turbo surge as far as i remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
Maybe there is a plumbing leak. Get a MASS to take a look at all the joints.
Its a new car. How can maruti not check everything before the car leaves the plant. Even the dealership do their PDI before delivering the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
It could be just bad fuel. This happens at times, the turbo doesn't spool up as quickly at times. It almost feels like its spooling up like a NA car feels. Get good fuel and it sorts itself out. Also, I am not quite sure if they have changed the maps on the DDIS after the 20k service. My car feels atleast 10% faster than ever since it came back, turbo whistle is very evident unlike before and you can feel the turbo spooling quicker than ever before. It wasn't like this when it went in for service, when it came out I was pleasently surprised to see the difference. I have no clue what they could have done.
Good Fuel. I am not sure how to verify that. Since this is the second fill on a different fuel station. Still the performance is the same. I fill in the normal diesel. What is this Map you mentioned about?

Any one who has just got his new Swift DDIS which is a month old or is still not due for the 1st service, check if they have the same issue as i am experiencing or share whatever they are experiencing about the turbo surge.

Last edited by tush : 9th December 2008 at 17:34.
Old 9th December 2008, 17:45   #6
BHPian

My experience has been the same, albeit its on the Indica Vista Quadrajet. When I posed this as a problem to the workshop guys, I was promptly informed that the turbo surge will be evident after the vehicle has gone thru the 1st service (with run-in completed). In fact they adviced me against reving the engine beyond 2000 RPM's. I am taking them on the face value as of now.
Old 9th December 2008, 22:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Have another Swift diesel user drive your car and confirm the same.

PS: Is Swift Diesel now available with ABS?
Old 9th December 2008, 22:05   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
PS: Is Swift Diesel now available with ABS?
Optional on the VDi variant but waiting times are huge.
Old 9th December 2008, 22:13   #9
BHPian

I have recently run-in'ed by DDIS,there is a noticeable surge even DURING the run-in period,do get it checked.
Old 10th December 2008, 21:43   #10
rippergeo

check the air filter.
also get the intercooler cleaned out.
but usually this problem pops up only around 20k kms or so.

Old 10th December 2008, 22:00   #11
BHPian

I got this problem at 18 - 20K. I stick to HP flagship pumps and looks like it is sorted. ofcourse MASS also did something which helped solve it. I also clean my air filter every 2K.
Old 20th December 2008, 15:19   #12
BHPian

I drove one another DDIS done around 2500Km. Didnt feel any difference as such as compared to my car in regards to torque.
Old 29th December 2008, 15:46   #13

Turbo Issue in DDiS

Hey Tush,

I share the same problem, my swift diesel has now clocked 6000 kms but the turbo seems to have reduced to quite a bit when i compare it with the initial days when my car was new.

I had it checked with the service guys during the 2nd service and they told me there is nothing wrong with the car. I also had asked them if there are any settings that need to be resetted or adjusted, the service guys said there are no settings in the swift which need to be reset or adjusted.

Maybe i have just got used to the surge feeling thts y im kinda feeling its not there.

And yes quality of fuel does make a difference, whenever i fill up from my regular HP outlet i can feel a bit of difference but if i fill it up from any BPCL pump then i dont get any surge & also the engine makes a bit more noise.

Thanks,

Kiran.
Old 29th December 2008, 16:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidaboy View Post
I have recently run-in'ed by DDIS,there is a noticeable surge even DURING the run-in period,do get it checked.
Ditto..The surge is very evident..Even in 5th gear after 2000 rpm it pulls like a rocket and mine has done only 500 km still
Mostly i guess its bad fuel.
Old 30th December 2008, 22:58   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy31977 View Post
Hey Tush,

I share the same problem, my swift diesel has now clocked 6000 kms but the turbo seems to have reduced to quite a bit when i compare it with the initial days when my car was new.
Test drive a similar km driven DDIS and compare it with your car torque. If you request MASS they will arrange someone else's car for you to compare.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks