Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2008, 06:27   #1
BHPian

Engine Knocking / Jerks

Hi,

Just observed a new problem over the last couple of days. Initially I thought it was my instant release of the clutch perhaps that caused it but now I realise that the problem persists even at good speeds.

The problem is that my Ford Fusion (could happen in any car I suppose?) starts jerking mildly even if im crusing in the 3rd or 4th or 5th gears at decent speeds of say 40, 50 or 70 kmph. The minute I press the clutch slightly, the car becomes smooth again.

To give you a better indication of what jerks I'm referring to, assume you are driving in the 4th gear at 50kmph and then you have to slow down your car to 20kmph but you forget to change the gear. Get it ?

Now my only worry is that is this a normal problem related to some setting somehwere or could be something major ? Damn ! not again :(

Cheers
Old 12th December 2008, 00:28   #2
BHPian

My first guess would be bad fuel; try tanking up at a COCO (company owned / company operated) pump and see if there is an improvement. If not, I'd check the fuel injectors & clean the air-filter.
Old 13th December 2008, 11:52   #3
BHPian

well i did change the fuel but the problem persists so have taken it to Chennai Ford. Now they are going to put it on the ramp and my heart's beating faster till they call me with the problem and a quote.

I also have another problem of a crack in my windshield. The morons at the insurance company guided me to the Arumbakam branch of Chennai Ford. Upon reaching there I was told they dont do that work there and i have to take it to Poonamalee. I refused and told them I'd speak to Ford directly. guess they remembered me from last time. They asked me to get the car yesterday morning so that they could take it to Poonamalee (which is a good 20 kms away). Around noon when I called up the Poonamalee workshop, he says that they dont have the glass in stock and that I should call them next week. I told them to have the car delivered back to Arumbakam - No way im going to pay for the fuel. The car had only a few litres of fuel in it. This was yesterday.

Now at 11 when I called up Arumbakam, the SA told me that they are putting the car on the ramp to investigate why the jerks happen. Hopefully and Im praying that its not a major thing.

Post this problem getting sorted, I will take it to windshield experts for the glass. Phew !

Thanks for listening
Old 13th December 2008, 14:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Ignition or ECU, me thinks.
Old 13th December 2008, 14:20   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
My first guess would be bad fuel; try tanking up at a COCO (company owned / company operated) pump and see if there is an improvement. If not, I'd check the fuel injectors & clean the air-filter.
+1 to that. Even if you have changed where you fill fuel, you may still need to clean the injectors because they may be still clogged with the previous fuel's impurities.

Did you earlier travel with very less fuel in the tank? This may cause particles to be sucked in. Make it a habit to fill up immediately once fuel reaches quarter tank level.
Old 13th December 2008, 14:28   #6
BHPian

IMO, ford has an issue with their ignition coils. Get the ignition checked.
Alsoask the A.S.S. guys to check injectors, spark plugs and spark plug cables.
Hope your issue will be solved.
Old 13th December 2008, 14:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

Also get valve clearance checked. I had this problem in my car and I still have it. For me it started doing this when we set the valve clearances a little higher than normal.

Note: This was before my turbo setup and the car being in stock condition engine wise. Now I run higher clearances because of the turbo.
Old 18th December 2008, 18:46   #8
BHPian

Thanks to all of your for your suggestions.

It has indeed turned out to be a case of fuel adulteration. I found it difficult to believe because it is the same IOC pump that I tank up my scooty from.

Here's a list of things replaced / cleaned as per the invoice from Ford.

Connector Kit @ Rs 140
Insulation Tape @ Rs 10

Spark plug wires - remove and install @ Rs 137
Fuel injectors - remove and install @ Rs 192
Relay ignition - remove and install @ Rs 82
Diagnosis charges - sublet operations @ Rs 275
Petrol 5 Litres @ Rs 250

Swiped my card for 1195 (after adding taxes) and the car seems to be working fine.

Took it to Windshield Experts who took down details but said it'd take a day or 2 for him to order the glass. Then he checked in his list which did not have Fusion listed. Unbelievable!

The adventure continues.

Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 13:59   #9
BHPian

Need Help - Knocking sound from Fusion TDCi Engine

Hi,

I have a Ford Fusion, 2008 model, run 55K. For last couple of weeks, I have been hearing, on an off a knocking sound coming from engine. Sound comes after driving for a while and does not come all the time.
Yesterday, the sound became louder and was continous. It started while driving back from work and was there for about the 10Kms I drove.
Reached home and took a video of the sound and the area from where it is coming.
Video Link:

I will be visiting Metro Ford service center this weekend, but any help from experts on what it could be, will help. Car is not under warranty and don't want the A.S.S to fleece me for something simple (Fingers crossed!).
Old 14th March 2013, 17:22   #10
BHPian

Re: Need Help - Knocking sound from Fusion TDCi Engine

Are you sure it is knocking? What i could make out by hearing the audio is a phss phss sound that may be arising due to worn out timing belt. What happens when you build up the revs? Do take it to the ASSC for troubleshooting.

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 14th March 2013 at 17:26.
Old 14th March 2013, 19:19   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Need Help - Knocking sound from Fusion TDCi Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipulbatta View Post
Sound comes after driving for a while and does not come all the time.
Doesnt sound like knocking.

Make sure nothing touching is any of the pulleys (Alternator, compressor etc..) and then check the tensioner pulley/bearings, and the belt condition.
Old 14th March 2013, 20:23   #12
BHPian

Mod team note: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks

Now sound is coming all the time, even when starting from cold. It is a "phht phht" sound like some metal part is being hit continuously. Will check the tensioner and timing belt.
Will be going on Saturday, will keep you updated. Thanks a lot for the responses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Are you sure it is knocking? What i could make out by hearing the audio is a phss phss sound that may be arising due to worn out belt. What happens when you build up the revs? Do take it to the ASSC for troubleshooting.
Not sure if it is knocking.... seems more like worn timing belt (Comparing to some videos on youtube). As I build the revs, the frequency of the sound happening increases comparatively, but sound level remains same - Its quite loud :(

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th March 2013 at 21:02. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 21:11   #13
Team-BHP Support

Re: Engine Knocking / Jerks

Is the engine gruff also? If so it can be a faulty injector or coil pack also. Fusion has timing belt or chain?
Old 14th March 2013, 22:52   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Is the engine gruff also? If so it can be a faulty injector or coil pack also. Fusion has timing belt or chain?
No, the engine sounds normal. I am not sure if it is a chain or belt.
Old 14th March 2013, 23:05   #15
Team-BHP Support

Ok best is to take to the workshop, something not right at valve train from the sound of it. ie if its not the external belts or pulleys.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks