Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2012, 22:27   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Does Overuse of Handbrake cause it to wear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hi Ken,

Rear wheel gets jammed, but is it due to brake shoe sticking to the drum? Or like Sutripta mentioned?

Any other probable reasons?

- Dhanush
yup definitely!! shoe will stick to drums. very common in mahindras.
Old 18th August 2012, 01:57   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Handbrakes have been known to freeze if applied for too long. Rusting on the cables etc.
No damage to gears.
Why not ist gear?
If you fluff a double declutch, you are essentially using the GB as a synchronised GB. (Not talking of 1st gear in the older Indian cars). Which is what it is meant to be. Why should a missed double declutch be any more 'damaging' than an ordinary gear change?
That handbrake explanation was spot on. Makes sense. So, GEAR it is for longer periods of rest.

I learnt how to drive a stick in a Mahindra Classic. The driving instructor told me that the 1st gear already takes a lot of abuse while driving in comparison to the 2nd. SO, he preferred to leave it in 2nd while parking on an incline. Never understood the engineering behind it.

Unless one perfects a double declutch(as some may call it, instead of clutch, which is perfectly fine), chances are high that one may ride the clutch a lot during the learning process. depress clutch-shift to neutral-release clutch-blip throttle-depress clutch-downshift-release clutch. With too many clutch in-clutch outs, all of which MUST complete within a second, there is a good possibility of riding the clutch. So, while trying to learn to save the synchro...BINGO! the clutch would be ready for a replacement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Handbrake is applied on rear drum or disc (disc on expensive cars). Most of the common car uses cable operated unit. Rear drum is an enclosed unit and uses a brake shoe unlike from disc which uses pads. When parked for long period of time this shoes sticks to the drum and jams the rear wheels.
Thanks for this explanation. A little bit of pictorial representation from howstuffworks made it all the more easier.

I think this clearly explains some circumstances where I've seen cars being towed away on a flatbed with jammed e-brakes. And I thought, that was manufacturing defect. Darn!
Old 18th August 2012, 21:10   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
yup definitely!! shoe will stick to drums. very common in mahindras.
Shoes can usually be unstuck by moving the vehicle forward and back a couple of times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
I learnt how to drive a stick in a Mahindra Classic. The driving instructor told me that the 1st gear already takes a lot of abuse while driving in comparison to the 2nd. SO, he preferred to leave it in 2nd while parking on an incline. Never understood the engineering behind it.
No engineering.

Quote:
Unless one perfects a double declutch(as some may call it, instead of clutch, which is perfectly fine), chances are high that one may ride the clutch a lot during the learning process. depress clutch-shift to neutral-release clutch-blip throttle-depress clutch-downshift-release clutch. With too many clutch in-clutch outs, all of which MUST complete within a second, there is a good possibility of riding the clutch. So, while trying to learn to save the synchro...BINGO! the clutch would be ready for a replacement!
Read this through a couple of times. Still don't see any connection between double declutching and riding the clutch.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 18th August 2012, 21:46   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shoes can usually be unstuck by moving the vehicle forward and back a couple of times.
it may but have seen these stuck many times in my place to the extent, the wheel had to be serviced completely.

these care normally the cases in hills.
Old 19th August 2012, 02:28   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Read this through a couple of times. Still don't see any connection between double declutching and riding the clutch.
Maybe you've perfected it already..

During the learning period, I had multiple instances of depressing clutch along with blipping throttle while going through the steps.
Old 19th August 2012, 20:49   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
it may but have seen these stuck many times in my place to the extent, the wheel had to be serviced completely.

these care normally the cases in hills.
Then I would say it is not a case of lining sticking to drum, but rather jamming of the mechanism which expands the shoes.
Shoe retraction is only by a spring, whereas expansion is by a positive force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Maybe you've perfected it already..

During the learning period, I had multiple instances of depressing clutch along with blipping throttle while going through the steps.
What exactly is riding the clutch?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2012, 23:24   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Then I would say it is not a case of lining sticking to drum, but rather jamming of the mechanism which expands the shoes.
Shoe retraction is only by a spring, whereas expansion is by a positive force.
Even I tend to think on the same lines. However would like to know more about the same.
Old 20th August 2012, 02:12   #68
BHPian

Quote:
What exactly is riding the clutch?
Going by the definition on wiki, here it is. I bet you know this too.

SO, they way I refer to it is that the steps must be executed one after another and NOT overlap at all. In which case, 'riding the clutch' is a probable instance.
Old 21st August 2012, 20:37   #69
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Was trying to ascertain whether you and I mean the same thing by the term 'riding the clutch'. In which context Wiki's, or anybody elses definition is not of much use.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 19th May 2016, 12:14   #70
BHPian

Hyundai Verna : Handbrake Problem

Hello people.

I have been facing a problem with my Verna's handbrake since around a month or so. Initially the handbrake lever felt very light/loose while engaging. I have a habit of pressing the button while engaging handbrake and couldn't notice the sound of ratchet while engaging. The lever could be pulled to a new maximum height after every use, it was that loose/weak. I noticed that the clicking sound while engaging handbrake had vanished from the initial range of motion, and could be heard faintly when the lever was nearing its extreme.

Last week, the handbrake failed to hold the car on an incline. The car started rolling backwards on a 10-15° incline at a friend's house. That was scary. My local mechanic told me that he would not be able to fix this as rear-disc uses a different technique than rear-drum brakes. How true is this? And what could be the cause of the problem? And a possible check/solution?

Since I am tied up with work for this week, I will be approaching Hyundai next week only. For now, I am managing by putting the car on 1st/reverse cog while parking. Roll in the advices, friends. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
biggrin
Old 19th May 2016, 12:44   #71
Senior - BHPian

Re: Does overuse of Handbrake cause wear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggrin View Post
And what could be the cause of the problem? And a possible check/solution?
most likely that handbrake lever mechanism needs replacement. Had faced this problem in Santro, was replaced by Hyundai service center within warranty.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 12:54   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna : Handbrake Problem

Quote:
I have been facing a problem with my Verna's handbrake since around a month or so. Initially the handbrake lever felt very light/loose while engaging.
Looks to be a simple issue of cable becoming lose. I'm not sure about the Verna but in many cars with rear disc, there is still a small drum brake mechanism which is used exclusively for hand brake system. In my opinion, a small adjustment in the cable operating the hand brakes should solve your issue.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 12:55   #73
OSH
BHPian

Re: Does overuse of Handbrake cause wear?

I am also facing a similar issue with my '07 Honda City Zx, the only diffrence being that, when I engage the hand-brake the LHS rear tyre is held perfectly but the RHS rear is not. I had it checked at Honda's A.S.S. where they adjusted the cable which improved it slightly but still cannot hold the car on steep inclines (parking ramps, flyovers).

Last year, I had my brake system overhauled at Sunil Uncle's garage, Select Auto (Dadar). He said that the mechanism for the hand-brake(inside the RHS wheelhub) has worn out but that part is not available as spare. My car also came with disc brakes on all tyres.

Experts can you'll help please.

Last edited by OSH : 19th May 2016 at 12:58.
OSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 12:59   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

as rear-disc uses a different technique than rear-drum brakes.
In my Cedia, the handbrake has a separate, small auxiliary drum brake mounted inside the brake disc. The brake shoes press against a 'drum' formed by the inner surface of the centre of the brake disc.
I believe that might be the case in your car too; it's a pretty common layout used on a four-wheel disc brake system.
schakravarthy is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks